Maximum Eureka Gold Depth

So, I'll keep this short, but this seems like the kind of question you can never get a set answer to, or at least it is difficult to pin down. I'm interested in hearing any stories or accounts of your deepest find with a Eureka Gold, and I suppose any other types of VLF detectors. I realize depth is a limiting factor for these types of detectors, and that is the reason for my question, to pin down a few possibilities as far as it relates to depth and target size. Thanks for any responses.

RCB

Rex,

I bought a Eureka Gold detector recently, I use it to discriminate so that I can keep a mono

coil on my GPX4500. I also wanted a back-up detector and something friends and family can use

when they join me.

I'm going to add the all metal detector amplipher (Doc's treasure screamer) and the Coiltek 15" DD WOT

coil - everything I've read it will get 30% more debth than stock without giving up alot of sensitivity

plus it's waterproof. I really like all of my Coiltek coils so I have faith this will work as well.

Maybe someone on the forum has done this already and can give real testing results, if not when I get mine

I'll let you know.

Rob has the WOT coil for sale on his website...his comments were you could find quarters at 18 to 20" with ease,

I believe this would work for a 2 gram or bigger nugget as well. Just a guess at this point - Charlie

Hey Bigrex, I used a Eureka Gold for many years in the Redding, Ca area and it served me well. I never used any of the other frequencies that the Eureka offers, only the 60 on sensitive with adjustments for gain. With this setting I was finding sub grainers at an inch or so, and pieces close to an ounce any where in depth from six inches to 16 inches. The Eureka is a very good unit, but just like most units you have to spend time with it. I never used another coil other than the stock eliptical. I used the Eureka exclusively for almost ten years and literally pulled pounds with it.

As far as results with other VLF's: Whites 6000 DI Pro, the old timers will remember this unit, was good on a half ouncer an inch or two down.

Whites Goldmaster series, this was one hell of a unit right up to the VSat. I had just about the same results as the

Eureka Gold. The units that came out after that just did not impress me, I think the DFG, something like that, had a

meter window sticking up in the middle of nowhere. That works really well in the manzanita and other brush. I guess it

would be ok in the open.

I used a Fisher 660 Mother Lode and I guess they must have been experimenting with it while developing the original

Gold Bug. When Gold Bug II came out it quickly became the best vlf around. I did very well with the Bug but I was

more content to use my Eureka Gold.

When the Minelab 3000 came I got one and did very well in all my old areas digging deeper targets than I ever had

before. I still tell my friends though that probably 90% of the gold I have found with the 3000 I could have found

with my Eureka Gold.

Now, back to the present, I still use my Ishmael modified 3000, but I now clean up with the new Gold Bug Pro. I have

talked about the Gold Bug Pro's performance and my satisfaction with it on the other forums. A lot of people are

looking at the new Gold Bug Pro as a toy, just a cheaper unit of the Gold Bug series. It is not a toy, and will

surpass the Gold Bug II in many ways. It just has so many features, like I said, you can read some of my comments on

the other forums.

These are my just my opinions, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Thanks for the replies Miner49 and trinityau, I have heard about the wot coil, I know about the claims of finding quarters at 18" + inches, just curious as to how that translates to a quarter ounce nugget for instance, I'm guessing maybe that cuts it in half to about 9", but that is just a wild guess of course. I did not know about the 30% depth figure, so that is welcome information. Six to sixteen inches for the larger targets does sound impressive for a vlf trinityau, thanks for the additional information in the write up about other detectors for comparison. Does anyone know what Rob is charging for the wot coils? I think the lowest price one can offer for them is $218, maybe I'll shoot him a message. I will look on his site first though. I just pulled the trigger on a used Eureka Gold.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info. I also purchased a used ML Eureka Gold about a yr. ago, just havnt been able to get far enough from Hoston to use it. Thanks again for the info everyone.

Bill

:D I really luck into a deal/find about 16 months ago on a WOT. I found one use, not even a scuff mark on it in a local shop here in MESA, az. It was label for use on the ML 1700, and 1800 units, which came out before the Eureka Gold. The price was very reasonable! I grab it like a kid does penny candy with a dollar in there pocket. The store owner ask me if I had one of those unit and I say NO, I got a Eureka Gold. He said , I don't think it will work on that, and I say, YES it will. He grab a Eureka off the wall, plug in the coil, and went to do a air test... nothing. He puff all up and say I told you it wouldn't work. I told him to check the battery, the battery was dead! Some fresh AA in the machine and it sang like a bird. I bought the WOT, a new lower rod, tear drops and bolt for $165.oo plus tax. It have been performing great, in and out of water. I beleive the depth rating from other users. I have found lead pistol bullets at 18 inches, and small bird shot at 6 inches.If you get it over gold, Its going to sing. You just got to learn the song!

More Au to you, Robert

• Admin

Hey Robert,

Yes, the coil you purchased with work on the XT series and the Eureka Gold. It's not advertised on the older Coiltek price sheet as for the Eureka, so the dealer probably didn't know any better. :lol:

I sell a bunch of the WOT coils, especially for the XT series and Eureka Gold. They are also a favorite for the Sovereign series and E-Trac for the coin/relic hunters.

Wishing you much success with the new coil. I think you're going to really like it (more coverage, more depth, lightweight and waterproof).

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Archived