Old Dredge

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hobby

Hobby
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

I know a guy who has a 25 year old 2.5" dredge .Has a 1 3/4 out on the pump and 3.5 motor.How doz it compare to a more modern dredge .Don't know how the suction is on it compared to the newer dredge's ? It's ben sitting a lot of year's will the pump seal's have to be rebuilt ?....jerry

#2 El Dorado

El Dorado
  • Members
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:Placer gold mining and goldsmithing

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Should really work just as good as new ones..... the design on on either a jet or power nozzle has not really changed . Just put some modern matting or carpet in the sluice and you will be good to go! The pump seal may still be good to go and if it only has a slight drip it's no big deal
Steve Wandt
www.naturalgoldjewelry.com

#3 Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron
  • Members
  • 1,349 posts
  • Interests:Gold

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

I've got a 30 year old Gold King 2.5" that works like a champ ... Just do the normal maintinance, etc., and, as long as the motor is in good shape it will work just as well as any new machine .... Cheers, Unc

RideTheRed.gifUncle Ron's Custom Arizona Gold Finding Maps for 2014 New LSD Maps Just Revised---If you want to cut days, months or even years off of finding that next gold nugget, look only for the nuggets with your name on them

#4 Hobby

Hobby
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Thank's for the info ...Also can do you guy's know how deep you can dredge with a dredge like this.Can I put a longer hose on it or will I lose suction with a longer hose.. Thank's again Jerry

#5 oldies1955

oldies1955
  • Members
  • 1,040 posts
  • Interests:Old cars
    Metal working
    Making stuff
    Breaking stuff
    Trying to figure out how to fix
    the stuff I broke....Trying to figure out how I broke the stuff im trying to figure out how to fix!
    ML5000
    151 Drywasher
    Home built trommel
    Digging in the dirt for rocks, nails,bullets and rusty metal

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Jerry:
Probably around 3 feet.
Once you get past that you start having problems with rock jams and to much underground water flowing in.
If you divert the creek, either with a dam to make the water go around the hole or some 4" PVC to duct the water over the hole that helps.
The deeper you go the more you have to throw out of the hole as the dredge wont pull it up.
I had to hook two motor/pumps together in a hole I was in and was able to go down to 5 1/2 feet to get to bedrock.
Keep your sluice downstream from you pump. Try to keep your hose as straight as possible.
Put your sucker valve in a bucket with holes in it to keep from sucking up gravel with it.
Another good set up is to "T" off where the hose meets the pump. Get another hose and put a on/off valve on it and a fire hose type nozzle on the end of that.
Blast the gravel and suck it up.
Makes it go a lot faster.
Your going to be heaving a lot of rock! :) Enjoy.
Tom H.
We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.
Theodore Roosevelt

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln

#6 Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron
  • Members
  • 1,349 posts
  • Interests:Gold

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

With the 2.5" I've gone down 6 feet and could have gone deeper but that was as deep as the creek was ... With a 4" Keen I worked all summer one year at 16 feet on the Scott River above Callahan ... That was back around 1979-1980 ... Wasn't doing it for a hobby then and had good rock moving equipment, a paid assistant, etc. ...Cheers, Unc

RideTheRed.gifUncle Ron's Custom Arizona Gold Finding Maps for 2014 New LSD Maps Just Revised---If you want to cut days, months or even years off of finding that next gold nugget, look only for the nuggets with your name on them

#7 Hobby

Hobby
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Lot's of good info there thank's ..Look's like all the dredge need's is a carb kit and new tube's for floating..OH ya and some good yellow color in the riffle's. HH Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users