Waterproof, Water Resistant or KEEP DRY!

The Playtpus is the only real waterproof coil, you can put it in up to the control box, the rest are resistant, I fried a stock 11 in minelab coil in tall wet grass, that was only wet fron dew. Grubstake, And I can't see your picture, says no permission. Grubstake

• Admin

Hey Jen,

The only coil you have in your collection (in the picture you attached) is the Coiltek Platypus, which is 100% waterproof. Coiltek also makes the UFO and Mini UFO that are also 100% waterproof, but only make you monoloops. The Coiltek Playpus can be purchased in Mono or DD Pro.

Coiltek also make the 15-inch WOT DD for the Eureka Gold, XT series, E-Trac, Sovereign, Explorer series, Excal & now for the X-Terra series that is also 100% waterproof.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Hey, David, the waterproof coils from Whites, Tesoro, and other brands, have a cable connectorer on the coil, that is potted with an O ring in the bottom of the plastic connector, and also one on the top part that unscrews, around the cable, Its a little differt type of connector, but looks almost the same as the ones minelab use's. And of coarse, where the mounting bolts go, it has to have a complete seal also. I've taken several coils of differnt brands apart in the past, and they all have had dubble O rings, bottom where it goe's into the coil, and one where the flex part of the connector screws onto the cable. Grubstake

• Admin

Hey Flak,

The waterproof Coiltek coils I mentioned in the above post are Epoxy sealed. The coil is a bit heavier, but 100% sealed with Epoxy to make sure no water can get into the windings. Other coils are using a "O" ring, but what happens when the "O" ring wears out like all "O" rings do.

I have heard of others just using silicon and sealing the coil connector and calling it good.

Rob Allison

I understand the "O" ring solution for waterproofing and it's probably fairly good

but potting the windings in epoxy is the way to go for sure.

I always loved my Platypus coil and I so rarely have the chance to use it

in a situation that it's really suited for...damp areas or in the water, so I sold it.

I miss it already ha ha

Oh and did I mention it is a very hot coil?

It is...

Archived