Notes on some mining districts in northern Nevada

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 dutch john

dutch john
  • Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Just a thought about prospecting with a metal detector for gold in the Randsburg California area. For those of you who subscribe to the ICMJ there is an article... 'Who says you have to own a claim to find gold?" in the current April 2012 issue.

I will add a little more to the article:

According to Nolan (Ore Deposits of the Western States) Lndgren Volume 1933... It is written on pg. 630... According to Hulin (1925) the Randsburg and Stringer Districts are considered to be Miocene Epithermal deposits... Also according to Nolan (1933), more than $25,000,000 in both gold and silver epithermal origin were recovered... Keep in mind that back in 1933 gold was valued at about $20.67/ounce and silver was about .25 cents/ounce... For those out metal detecting for gold in this greater area,.. the numerous hard-rock precious metal epithermal deposits that were orignally worked by drywashers (in the Greater Randsburg/ Summit/ El Paso mountains as early as 1894) can still be reworked by moden metal deterctors... Again, Just a thought... js

#42 dutch john

dutch john
  • Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

Gosh I'm in awe regarding all of the posts on the thread, I cannot thank Rob enought
toallow this to happen... Thanks Rob!... I understand that some of the readers are from
"google" and "facebook."

I'm now getting e-mails regarding epithermal precious metal ore deposits. I have been
metal detecting them for associated placers since about 1980, back when the first
VLF's were introduced. With some success... but I cannot say as being first is essentual.

Here is a link. I hope I post it correctly. It is a good read, but since it was published much
more is known regarding epithermal ore deposits.

http://www.icmj2.com.../JanFeature.htm

I have been involved with epitherrmal placers since I was a "wide-eyed" kid setting
at the family- dinner table listening to my late grandmother Viettie reminece regarding
the early days of Clifford, Ellendale, Tonopah and Manhattan; as she was there at their
beginnings.Thanks for your interest in this thread, and again, Thank You Rob!

#43 dutch john

dutch john
  • Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Gosh I posed the above link correctly... but some of it was deleted.. It will not go.

Try this, but it is the long haed way: Google this
"Metal Detecting within the Cordillera for Gold Placers Associated with Tertiary Epithermal Ore Deposits"

You may need to look around the lsit for it but it is there. If you are interested in detecting epithermal placer
deposits, they are still being overlooked. Not much has been published about them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users