What the Aussie's call Sunbakers (Surface Gold Nuggets)

Every time I hear the word sunbaker, my mind goes to the days of old.

When people were looking in the creeks an rivers of the motherload and seeing gold nuggets laying under the water glistening and the Potato Patch at Rich Hill were they saw em layin there on the ground ALL OVER THE PLACE :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments on the Sunbakers. Here are a few more that I pulled up I found. There are more nuggets laying on the surface than you think. The first picture shows a group of three nuggets on the bedrock. This spot I took over 40 nuggets ranging from a few grains to several Dwt's within about 10 yards.

sunbaker09 (800x600).jpg

sunbaker07 (800x600).jpg

sunbaker08 (800x600).jpg

sunbaker010 (800x600).jpg

sunbaker011 (800x600) (2).jpg

Hope you enjoyed.

Hi Rob ,.. Nice bunch of "sunbakers" there , always love to see a "Au. insitu" pic !!

I grew up in Alice Springs N.T. ,.. in the 70's,.. at that time the Aborigiene's were quite good at "specking" ,. they would bring in many tektites ,. meteorites ,. gem stones of all sorts ,.. even nuggets ,. all collected off the top ,.. but, all from "down under" ??

Well,.. Glad to see they left a "few" for ya to find,..Blindpig

• Admin

Hello Guys,

I have found hundreds over the years, but unfortunately didn't take pictures all the time. Sure wish I would have, as some would have been very neat pictures.

Argonaute - I have one picture where I found 8 Sunbakers on the surface, but could only get like 6 in the picture at a time. I have the pictures, still searching my hard drives for it.

Hey Rob,

Border Boy has me looking at every crack and crevice we walk by now!!!! .....

He has even proven to me that you can "blow " the overburden off in some places on the bedrock--- and low and behold there will be a flake or two !!

I have seen him do it, but when....... i try i fill my eyes up with sand...lolol

Plus, i always have to get my glasses out after i blow ---to see if there is anything there------ let's just say... i need a little more experience.. :)

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping within a month or so I will have some free time to spent exploring some country that I been wanting to hunt for years. In the meantime, if I find anymore "sunbaker" nuggets on the bedrock, I will be sure to take a picture and post them here.

Thanks for all the comments.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping within a month or so I will have some free time to spent exploring some country that I been wanting to hunt for years. In the meantime, if I find anymore "sunbaker" nuggets on the bedrock, I will be sure to take a picture and post them here.

Thanks for all the comments.

Hey guys I had a minute before I have to head out thought Id share some stories on this subject.
there was two unique things about these sunbakers. first neither of the nuggets was on bedrock.
I was headed up the side of a ridge at about a 45 degree angle and at fast pace just trying to get to an area that I thought looked promising. detector on (always)nose to the ground watching for snakes and I find this game trail headed in the right direction so I followed it.
about half way up there it is, I spot it just before I swung over it.
a nugget laying right there on the ground, right in the middle of the game trail.
I checked it again with my coil and sure enough. I popped
it out of the ground with my pick but then something dawned on me, Its not on bedrock? just packed gravel.
I dug under it a few inches hmmm?.
I guess the hoof traffic and monsoons washed it out.

The next one was on flat ground. Dirt packed gravel,I was walking to a known patch and had passed through this area several time before.
fast pace and bang from the detector (always on) when walking from point A-B same thing there it was right in plain sight. both of these nuggets looked like a stone inbedded in a cobble stone street.
Oh and the second unique thing about these two sunbakers was both resulted in the discovery of new patchs, that I otherwise may have missed..
sorry no photos I wasn't packing a camera back then.
Their out there.
Take care AzNuggetBob