1st Gold Nuggest for the New Year

I got out last Saturday with some friends up near Stanton to try our luck at finding some yellar metal. We went down to the RRPC, claim "Leave No Holes #1" where I found a .5G piece last February. I show my friends where I found the nuggets in a little depression and we discussed our plans. We all went our separate way and detected for about 3 hrs before breaking for lunch. Comparing notes and our finds none of us had gotten over a piece of gold, we have plenty of shotgun shell, rimfire cases, modern .22 cal, and the assortment of pieces of wire, cans and tacks. Not giving up! We all started out again after our break. Within 20 minutes I was digging another target, and out pop this tiny .15G nugget. It was a month long skunk breaker for me, and my first nugget for 2013. With renew energy we all continue our search until sun down, but it ended up as the only nugget we found. The real gold was being able to get out with some friends and share the experience.I was using a ML GPX 5000 with the NuggetFinder 14x9 Litz Advantage Mono coil. I was in Special Fine, motion Slow, RX gain 10, stabilizer 6.

More Au to you, Robert :)

• Admin

Hey Robert,

Congrats on the new find. When you're finding them like that, you and the detector are dialed in.

Curious on why your Stabilizer setting was down at 6? Not that it effected you finding the nugget, but was the threshold that unstable to drop down to 6 vs. like 9 or 10?

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Thank you all for the kind words. Rob I was getting a warble in my threshold and I had adjusted the AUTO TUNE selections manually about 5 channels different. The warble was particuliar present when a airplane would fly over. Any suggestion in other adjustment that I could have try?

More Au to you, Robert

• Admin

Hey Robert,

Sounds like you were getting EMI from the airplane, which is normal on the PI's. You can manually tune them out for the most part. Once you hear the plane, stop detecting and then go to "manual tune" on the back screen of the GPX 5000. Normally, just turning the dial a few numbers one way or the other will balance out planes. If this don't work, you might want to try the "auto tune" once again. If this don't work, you might have to wait a minute or so for the plane to clear and then the threshold should stabilize.

Depending on your timings and settings, the EMI can be worse in some spots.

Hope this helps a bit,

One of the best tips I got on the forum for EMI was too take two auto readings and then set the detector at the number right between the two. Just add the two numbers and divide by 2. Don't know why but it really helped quiet down noisy days. I also liked the "Quiet" audio type. What audio setting do you run CP?.........man I need a new PI soon.....miss the hunt and this Eureka Gold just doesn't cut it..

AzOverland, I will have to give that a try about taking two reading and setting the AUTO TUNE in the middle. I was running the AUDIO on NORMAL. Will also give the QUIET setting a try, Thank you and Rob for the suggestions.

Hey AzOverland, made it back out to the Stanton area today. Today I got the ole skunk, but my buddy Conrad found a tiny speci, and the Falcon MD 20 confirmed it as being gold. The spec of gold on the speci was about the size that is on the MD 20 test card!

I try the TUNE setting like you say... take two reading, add the reading together and divide by two... manually set that number, and with the Audio set on QUIET I could run the Stabilizer on 11! I could run that setting almost directly under the power lines, within 30 yards of then. Thanks for the tips everybody, the vast knowledge and the willingness to share that information make this forums and hobby GREAT! Again THANK YOU,