36 kilo Nugget

The following was sent to me from one of my mates in Australia. Don't know if this is a recent find or a rehash of an old find. I have never seen this monster before.

Doc

Here 'tis, the photo that's got everyone talking. The picture was taken from above the top of someone's ute tray, over the towball. It was found about three weeks ago near Ora Banda from what I've been told.

It was more or less specked as it was sitting on top, covered in moss. The detector was going off about two meters away from it and the guy kicked it after thinking it was a piece of tree bark. The moss then came off and there it was! It's long and skinny and about 1.4 mtrs long, a very strange looking thing. I'll keep the guy's name secret, but I'm sure it'll come out eventually.

This is THIRTY SIX kilos of gold at least 55 bucks a gramme! Lemme see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,36 kgs equals about 1116 ounces,,,,,,,,,,,,,which equals about 35800 grammes,,,,,,,,,which equals about $1,970,496.00, Say two million in round figures!! Nearly as big as my last one.

Thats it...im moving to Auastralia!

If I found that I woulnt be alive to enjoy it...die of a heart attack!

Tom H.

Now, i'm not trying to be a negative nelly on this one, but there's something that dont quiet look right with that Thing.

My estimate on the weight, gold or lead, would be 8 - 10 kg max,

Certainly no where near 36 kg.

54577811.jpg

If you look at the outter edge of it, the extremeties have been very very worn and rounded, yet the flat face of it is not worn at all.

As if it has been poured molten.

All of these so called nugget photo's are only taken on a very cheap c**p camera of a 2mp mobile phone job.

If you'd found a 39kg nugget, wouldnt you take the photo on a better camera, hell we already do that with just scrap gold.

I once knew a bloke in the east who made fake nuggets and painted em gold.

He did this by pouring molten lead onto the rough dirt or down into Ant nests.

They looked exactly the same with the rounded outter edges from the flow of the lead.

I bet if you was to see the opposite side it would be smooth as a baby's bum as you'de expect from a poured lead object.

I'm calling this one as another Fake.

And until i see the real thing or it's veryfied by an external source who actually held it, my thoughts will stay the same on it.

Pete

• Admin

Hey Pete,

Now after really studying the size, shape and picture, it does look a bit strange for the amount of weight. Trying to picture the "Hand of Faith" nugget vs. something like this at 1,000 plus ounces, it just don't seem like this piece has the mass to it.

Will be interesting to hear if it's real or fake .... :mellow:

Whoa!! :o:blink::o

That's more gold in one piece than most people would hope to find in a lifetime!

Pete, it would be cool to see on a scale.

Congrats to the owner!

original.jpg

I call 'shennanigans'. It MIGHT be real, but so far this is unfolding like every single other faked nugget story.

The shape is too unnatural looking and there's no more than 20 Kilos (Absolute maximum) in that nugget.

The shadow under the nugget is not only a little too dark but it's actually inconsistant as well.

For all that dark shadow under the leading edge of the nugget, why is some of it missing under the extruded part of the nugget?

Why does the photograph have no EXIF information embedded?

Why does the size of the nugget not match the stated weight of the nugget? (The figure mentioned here is 39 Kilos)

Why is the picture only a vailable in Ultra Small size?

I just saw 12.4 Kilos extracted from a single specimen of quartz that was around 2.5 feet long... found 20 feet or so from where another specimen that I photographed a few months ago yielded 4.3 Kilos of gold. .....so big finds abound here recently.

Geesh, don't kill the messenger. I got the picture and story from Les Lowe, who is a reputable guy. He didn't say he knew who found it or anything of that nature. He was just passing it along. I just got the same email from Gary Guinotte this morning, so it is probably just something floating around. I didn't bother to examine the picture.

Hoss Blackman used to have an enormous "nugget" he would use at trade shows. It was an attention grabber. The thing was bigger than the Hand of Faith nugget. It was actually a large copper nugget that had been gold plated. He didn't pretend it was real, it was just something to drive people to his booth.

It obviously felt heavy to people who didn't know any better. Those who did, could tell as soon as they picked it up that it wasn't heavy enough to be real.

Doc

Geesh, don't kill the messenger. I got the picture and story from Les Lowe, who is a reputable guy. He didn't say he knew who found it or anything of that nature. He was just passing it along. I just got the same email from Gary Guinotte this morning, so it is probably just something floating around. I didn't bother to examine the picture.

Hoss Blackman used to have an enormous "nugget" he would use at trade shows. It was an attention grabber. The thing was bigger than the Hand of Faith nugget. It was actually a large copper nugget that had been gold plated. He didn't pretend it was real, it was just something to drive people to his booth.

It obviously felt heavy to people who didn't know any better. Those who did, could tell as soon as they picked it up that it wasn't heavy enough to be real.

Doc

Doc:

Heck we wouldnt want to off you! :) You put too many good inventions out for us to use.

I think its just more of trying to figure it out and seeing what is real or not.

This in ONE good thing about the internet and information tec.

Hope you geet some good gold in the future on your endovers.

Tom H.

The story also claimed 1.4m length... that is not 1.4m. Figuring that ball is around 2" would give it only about 22-26" length, not the ~4.5' claimed.

The shadow _could_ be missing from the knob if it were pointing upwards at an angle that hid the shadow... emphasis on could.

The overall mass is not more than a couple kilos to be very generous.

Looks cool, but not what is claimed.

If it is real gold, I would still need a change of shorts. :)

You guys are amazing detectives! I just got an email from Gary Guinotte that said the following. So everyone was right. HOAX

Well, it turns out this was a well done Aussie hoax. Just aluminum painted gold.

Sorry, it was from a "usually reliable source.

Gary