A visitor from the wild side in my camp, nope, not a hooker, a COYOTE!

Hi all,

I was camped up at Rye Patch, Nevada, a place not many have heard about, and had a strange thing occur.

I had finished getting organized that morning, just a few days earlier this week, the sun was up, I had my atv warming up a little,and I was putting my little cooler into a plastic storage box mounted on the front of my machine.

Having done that, I turned to go bring my detectors out from my camp trailer, when, not ten feet from me, was a fully grown coyote looking right at me. No signs of aggression shown by the animal, actually nothing at all, other than as I offered a greeting, "Hello" to it, it turned and calmly walked off, across the road, where it squatted to take a No. 2. I am not sure if that was that animals way of returning my greeting or not.

In any case, realizing what a momentous occasion this was, I quickly got my movie camera out of the trailer, not knowing exactly how to operate the dang thing, I did know that it was capable of taking still photos, as well as movies, so I turned the thing on as quickly as I could and took a couple of stills, one of which now survives. (So far, unless I somehow delete it accidently, which is definitely in the realms of possibility.)

I don't know if the coyote was sick, or was used to receiving morning food hand outs or what, but it surely was a first for me. I later took a ride off to where I was to detect that morning, and saw that same animal kicking up its speed and going out of sight, after hearing my atv motor apparently.

In any case, I thought I would share it here, as the tiny bits of gold I got out of that worked out place (thanks everyone!) isn't worth talking about.

If I can figure out how to get that surviving photo out of my Panasonic movie camera, I shall post it here, as evidence of my encounter with life on the wild side...

Have a great day!

Gary

Coyotes are curious, but normally not aggressive. Being nocturnal, you see less of them in the daylight hours. Where I live in Sun City West, AZ. we see them in our yards several times a week. They live here in peace with the golfers and enjoy the "rabbit stew" that is more than plentiful. Growing up here on a ranch in Wickenburg we shot them and humg them on the fence to ward off others. NOT allowed to do that here, that is for sure. Beware of them when seen regullarly in daylight hours as they do have a rabies issue and that is one sign of the disease.

Dutch