MINELAB GP 3000 UPGRADE TO 4000/4500?

• Admin

Hello Mr. AZMan,

I have never heard of such and highly doubt it. Most mods are done on early detectors, SD and some GP's, but I don't think anyone doing the mods has stated it's just as good or better than a model much newer. There are guys that claims there modded detectors are better, but I don't think there is enough evidence of that.

Also, like another member stated, the GP3000 is an analog unit, while the GPX units are partial digital.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Guys,

You normally (no offense), hear these rumors from guys that either are anti-Minelab or people that can't afford a new Minelab. Everyone is always looking for a cheap way to make the best detector (can't honestly blame anyone). I know the price tag on these Minelab's just keep going up, so understand that it's getting to the point where only the real serious can afford a big Minelab. The GPX 5000 is $5,795 US, so I can only guess what the next big Minelab will cost. My best educated guess would be somewhere around $6,200 - $6500.00. :(

Sometimes I wonder if Minelab will price themselves out of the market, but it hasn't been the case in the last 10 years. I'm sure having the best technology allows them to keep the price tag high as no one can really match the performance in my opinion.

Back to the mods, I have heard good and bad things about them. Some swear the mods on the early SD's, such as the SD2000 are the cats meow, while others claim the mods on the GP3000 - GP3500 are best.

I know Ismael in Australia used to be one of the guys most would trust with mods. I believe he stopped doing mods, but the ones he done all seem to work well.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

• 2 weeks later...

the cost would be more in the 400 to 800 range if they did it...Ishmeal-of Australia- is the main modder that I am aware of...

fred

Ismael in Australia, will tell you, If you want something to be as good as a 4500, buy a 4500.

It's not possible to make a 3000 as good as a 4500, by modding.

And anyone who reckons to do the mod for $100, would'nt be getting anywhere near my detector.

• Admin

Hello Inhere,

Thanks for the honest advice. I have to agree with you 100%, as Ismael is a good friend of mine also.

It's practically impossible to take a detector that was built 10-12 years ago and make it as good as one that was just released. I know people want to believe this, but it's not possible. If this was the case, no one would be buying new detectors, we would just take our old ones and mod them to the newest GPX 5000's or whatever.

Can you take an older Minelab and mod it to make it better than stock, YES. However, trying to claim your mod is now better then the newest technology, :spank:

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

I just took a guy out yesterday who bought a 3500 fron Doc in 06. He never used it at all, so i was more than willing to help him out, i wish i had someone to do that for me when i bought mine! Anyway, this thing right out of the box, was a great. stable, easy to use detector! I was very impressed with it! I say just use what you have, as i think for the ground that i was helping him on is the very worst ground in ca. I also think it was a tad more stable, but not as deep as my 4500. As far as modding, is it the same guy that goes by woodypoopoo on youtube? I have used some his pointers on ground balancing and freq tuning religiously! cheers guys

• 2 weeks later...

Just send me ya $100 and i'll modify a sober bloke into a raving drunk guaranteed works :P :P :P552778101.gif

beepinpete's a funny one ~ although I havn't messed with Ethyl in 26 years : )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ya'll - How much Better (or Deeper) is the GPX 4000 than the GP 3500 with say a 14" Elliptical Coiltek Monoloop please , Any Input ? Thanks ~ Ken

• Admin

Hey Ken,

The GP 3500 is a great detector. I would just stick with it and if you decide to upgrade in the future go for the best unit out at that time. Jumping one detector might not be worth that much trouble selling yours, trying to find a used GPX4000 if you know what I mean.

The GPX series have more options, timings and such, so I'm sure you would see an advantage with one. That being said, some believe the GP 3500 gets the best overall depth and even is the best detector to mod.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob & Thanks , My Only current PI is an Infinium It's done me right so far for the $ and it's great in the water. (Takes time to learn GB on Infinium some Conditions , would take some hours even for an experienced PI user - then they work great) It's poss. we may be buying a house in the S. Bradshaws & I may get a GPX (I like the Idea of the Coil Splitting option Mode for 1/2 a DD). If I understand correctly , That came about with GPX right ? I want that option for elephant hunting but i'll need to Spend the least $ to do it (unless Finny or L-st find me a Babar or giant Diamond Ring in the meantime) I figure a 4000 is the 1st. ML to Coil Split , please let me know if i'm mistaken on the Era model for That. If I start Minelabbin' for Bigguns I want that Coil-mode feature for Norm / High Min. turf n such. Terry S. sold one for 2.4k (which would work ) there's one here for 3.2k that I dont want to do. I like the 20sum hund. Idea rt. now cause the kooks in washington haven't helped my Business out much lately . Appreciate input ~ Ken

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...