!6 inch Coiltek GoldStalker snags Gold Nugget in beat up patch

I don't get out often but it sure feels good to know I haven't lost my touch.

Tools of the trade: GPX5000 running in normal, using Gold Screamer Power pack, and 16 inch Coiltek ROUND Gold Stalker Mono.

Nothing much to say: John Green showed me an old patch that he said he had found 8 nuggets on. He used a GPX4500 and his son used a SD2200. That was last week, and he told me I could run over it with my GPX5000 it I wanted to. That time I was using a Blitz Gold Stalker 9 X 13 inch Mono, and within 5 minutes found a .7 gram nugget approximately 6 feet away from one of John's dig holes. John doesn't normally miss gold so I know it has to be the power of the GPX5000 that I was running in fine gold.

Yesterday I braved the elements, it was cold and windy, and one of those days that can demotivate you real fast. But nothing reinvigorates you like the sound of gold. I went back with the 16 inch round Mono Gold Stalker. I have always had some of my best finds with the old round coils, they punch deep.

I wanted to check my old hole to make sure there wasn't anything deeper. After doing that I swung a little further up the ridge about 8 feet from the original hole, and got a weird little target sound. I was running in NORMAL rather than Fine Gold. Here's part 1 and part 2.

Doc

Nice Gold Doc,

I feel for ya, deep holes with that coil. I got one from Rob, when they first came out - runs great even on my gp 3500

Take care,

Ed

Good nug , i think>>>

I am in a motel and this video is loading at negative speeds!! :blink:

I was screaming after ten minutes--(3.30)-- wanting you to get your pick out and DIG it....!!!.

The joys of bandwith or lack of....

OK i am gonna go watch Part 2.....

paul

Sorry for the slow internet. However, I have always taught, "Take your time. Learn from your nugget. Whenever I am relatively certain it is a nugget I am digging I want to scrape off a little and then listen. I may swing my coil over that target 20 times. I may try different settings. There is no better education than to learn about your machine before you dig that nugget out of the ground. Once it's out of the ground, it's too late."

Doc

Good nug , i think>>>

I am in a motel and this video is loading at negative speeds!! :blink:

I was screaming after ten minutes--(3.30)-- wanting you to get your pick out and DIG it....!!!.

The joys of bandwith or lack of....

OK i am gonna go watch Part 2.....

paul

Hey Doc

Great detecting mate really, it just goes to show with the right coil/settings/detector combo that any patch can come to life.

How many wishy washy ground signals are being ignored and cast off as ground clutter without at least the obligatory boot

scrape to lift the signal ???

Your vid is a classic example of "low n slow" Doc, the 16" GS is a mighty coil, light and very sensitive, the edge is killa to pinpoint.

Thanks for sharing

Pete in WA

Thanks Pete,

I had a great mentor, ol' Hoss Blackman took a liking to me 20 some odd years ago and taught me how to prospect and how to swing a detector. It was like having a drill sergeant. "What's wrong with that bush? Is it poison?" Ah no, why? "Well didn't I tell you to stick your coil into every bush in your way, you just avoided it like it was going to bite you."

"STOP STOP STOP, go back a foot, listen to that! Now scrape the rubble away with your boot. OK take an inch off with your pick. swing over it again, now how's it sound?"

"Come here! See these 5 lead pellets?" Then he would throw them, when you can find all 5 of them, I will take you to one of my old patches."

Of course Hoss was one of those guys that I swear could dig a hole in the asphalt in the parking lot at Kmart and find a 2 ounce nugget.

Doc

Hey Doc

Great detecting mate really, it just goes to show with the right coil/settings/detector combo that any patch can come to life.

How many wishy washy ground signals are being ignored and cast off as ground clutter without at least the obligatory boot

scrape to lift the signal ???

Your vid is a classic example of "low n slow" Doc, the 16" GS is a mighty coil, light and very sensitive, the edge is killa to pinpoint.

Thanks for sharing

Pete in WA

I was having a good day Chris. Thanks!

Doc

Success in this case is 88% operator, I've seen way to many folks dismiss that kind of initial target response as ground noise.

Good job Doc and thanks for reinforcing some basic needed techniques.

"Come here! See these 5 lead pellets?" Then he would throw them, when you can find all 5 of them, I will take you to one of my old patches."

Damn that's hardcore learning there.

I had a guy up at Rye patch that was going to show me some tips for my gold bug 2. He said here let me get some lead shot and I told him, I have some that I found and he said well if your are finding them then he didn't need to teach me anything. I did stay around and listen to his stories and tips.

LOLOL...It took me forever to get them downloaded, but the lesson was the finitely clear...Low and slow....

i have heard many of you all preaching this, and of course it was really nice to hear how it actually sounded off throught the dig process.....

Good learning vid.

paul

Thanks, Doc or Rob, wouldn't the Coiltek GoldStalker 24 x 14" be a 'much' better choice than the round 16" for both, more ground coverage, and better depth on all different sizes of gold in open country.??

Yes the 24 x 14" is a little heavier than the 16" by about 8 oz. but is has about 8" in. (50%) more coverage.:

24 x 14"

http://coiltekmanufa...er-24-x-12.html

1018 gr. - 35.9 oz.

16"

http://coiltekmanufa...d.html#eighteen

795 gr. - 28 oz.

22"

http://coiltekmanufa...r-22-round.html

1100 gr. - 38.8 oz.

(It explained the 22" still has impressive sensitivity in testing by finding 2 gr. pieces at approximately 25 cm. - 10" in. depth.)

Yes the 24 + 14 = 38 / 2 = 19 inch round, so yes, better coverage and better depth. But I was sort of excited to use the 16 inch round because the old 14 inch was one of my all time favorite coils, and I came from a time when all the coils were round.

I went out today and took a 22 inch round Goldstalker. Holy cow, get rid of all your metal. If I leaned over the coil it picked up my glasses. Crazy powerful coil. I couldn't figure out why I was getting a low target sound on my left side. It was my camera in my vest pocket. I didn't find anything but I was pretty certain there wasn't anything to find, considering the magnetic field it was throwing out. It air tested a 2.6 gram nugget at 14 inches.

Doc

Thanks, Doc or Rob, wouldn't the Coiltek GoldStalker 24 x 14" be a 'much' better choice than the round 16" for both, more ground coverage, and better depth on all different sizes of gold in open country.??

Yes the 24 x 14" is a little heavier than the 16" by about 8 oz. but is has about 8" in. (50%) more coverage.:

24 x 14"

http://coiltekmanufa...er-24-x-12.html

1018 gr. - 35.9 oz.

16"

http://coiltekmanufa...d.html#eighteen

795 gr. - 28 oz.

22"

http://coiltekmanufa...r-22-round.html

1100 gr. - 38.8 oz.

(It explained the 22" still has impressive sensitivity in testing by finding 2 gr. pieces at approximately 25 cm. - 10" in. depth.)

Hey Doc

Mate i would swap my left danglePod for one of them 22" round's ^_^:)

Like you said, massive field and very light to swing..

BTW: do you still carry the "Bates" Boots, had 5 years outta mine and its time for a re fit, gotta say them boots

are the lightest most comfy boots i ever wore.

Pete B)

Yes sir I still have them. In fact I have 10 pairs of 9.5 size put back for myself in case they ever discontinue them. I never want to be without that boot.

Doc

Hey Doc

Mate i would swap my left danglePod for one of them 22" round's ^_^:)

Like you said, massive field and very light to swing..

BTW: do you still carry the "Bates" Boots, had 5 years outta mine and its time for a re fit, gotta say them boots

are the lightest most comfy boots i ever wore.

Pete B)

No it was just a buried decomposing quartz reef. I dig crazy too when I'm not filming. But when I am trying to do instructional stuff I think it is important to go slow so both I and the viewer learns from the experience. I also like to have an accurate idea of just how deep the nugget really was.

Back in the days of the SD2100 and SD2200 if you had a nugget that sounded that loud it would have been a 1/2 ouncer. Now with these new fan dangled machines, 2 grammers sound like 1/2 ouncers.

Doc

Nice job doc! one heck of a positive signal for suck a small nugget at depth. That was very impressive. I was thinking wow i must look like a dang dog the way i dig. You are so careful! was that decomposed bedrock that it was sitting on? looked like it....

Hi Doc,

Those are great videos, done from the first faint signal, to showing what can happen when you perform your search correctly.

I think all of us wonder how many of those faint signals we have swung our coils over, and passed them off as ground noise of some sort, salts from the critters, have actually been gold.

It may be that up there in the great computer "cloud" up there somewhere, there is a tally sheet for each of us, and when we cross over to the other side, we can see what could have been, in many ways.

I still am glad in an odd kind of way that I dug up that very faint signal, which, after digging what I would guess would be no less than 3 feet, to find a very nice galvanized pipe fitting. The downside to that is that I had to put all that dirt back in the hole, then try to move on. Had I not dug at that signal, I still would have been wondering just what I walked away from...

I noted the pick you used in the video, appears to be a "wingless walco", a mod that I had to do to my "serial killer walco" to cut down on the weight.

~LARGO~

Back in the days of the SD2100 and SD2200 if you had a nugget that sounded that loud it would have been a 1/2 ouncer. Now with these new fan dangled machines, 2 grammers sound like 1/2 ouncers.

Doc

Yeah i remember my 1st target i got with my old 4k, i thought here we go i'm past 8" and its booming in, boy was i pissed

when out came a 22cal lead at just over a foot deep, but then it hit me! - WOW if this thing can pull that at that depth i'll have no

problems hittin the gold zone with it.

Pete

Archived