Questions about the GPX-5000 from current owners here.

Hi all,

I've been a lurker here for a few months. Time for my first post! :)

I've been seriously thinking about purchasing a GPX-5000. Its a huge investment, so I've spent months researching it. :lol: I've read that if you are going to spend the money on this line of detector, the 4500/4800 is a bad choice purely based on the fact that the demand for the 5000 is much greater and it would be easier to sell later on.

Curious of how much these detectors can command on the resale market if I decide to sell it to upgrade to a newer model later?

Also, are those of you that own the 5000 100% satisfied with your purchase? Would any of you have gone with the 4800 in hindsight?

Thanks in advance, and happy hunting! :)

Hi Placer Chaser,

I think history speak for it self... look at the current resale value of the SD, GP series of detectors and the asking price now to what they originaly sold for! The Minelabs hold they resale value a lot better than any vehicle will ever do. If I wanted to sale my Eureka Gold detector, I probably could get what I paid for it 5 years ago.

Last year I was fortunate to work 18 hrs of over time a week for six months. One of the things that kept me going was the goal of buying a new GOLD detectors... the GPX 5000! After paying off a few bills I was able to buy my GPX 5000 from Rob's. I know I couldn't have made a better decission for a detector, or on a dealer than the GPX 5000, and Rob's Detectors. My GPX 5000 have been flawless in performance, and Rob have been outstanding and patience in answearing my questions and getting me up to speed in finding gold. The 11" Mono coil is a solid performer on the 5000, and will find gold!

More Au to you, Robert :)

Hi all,

I've been seriously thinking about purchasing a GPX-5000. Its a huge investment, so I've spent months researching it. :lol: I've read that if you are going to spend the money on this line of detector, the 4500/4800 is a bad choice purely based on the fact that the demand for the 5000 is much greater and it would be easier to sell later on.

Curious of how much these detectors can command on the resale market if I decide to sell it to upgrade to a newer model later?

Also, are those of you that own the 5000 100% satisfied with your purchase? Would any of you have gone with the 4800 in hindsight?

Hi:

If you can afford it, definently go with the 5000. It will most likely be the last detector you will buy.........unless they come out with one that discriminates just gold!

If you do buy a 5000 dont go into it with the mindset that you want to sell it down the road. Go into it with the mindset that you will go out and detect, have fun, find a lot of junk (as with any detector) and find gold. Its about just going out and having fun.....the gold is the icing on the cake.

I purchased mine from Rob and cannot say enough about how much he has helped me along the way. Rob gives a lot of upgrades with the basic package. The one I especially like is the small battery and amp that fits right on the detector.

If my dad could swing one I would buy another one for him.

It is a fantastic machine..........but you have to commit to learning it and working/researching to get the gold out of the ground. This takes many hours out in the field.

Tom H.

Hey PC! In the pulse induction world, the Mac Daddy is the Minelab GPX 5000. I sold my 2007 Minelab GPX 4000, for $2,400.00 in October of 2010. The bottom line is this.. Can you afford the machine and accessories? Does your hunting area have rich enough targets to give you a reasonable expectation of return on your investment? Don't settle for the rest, buy the best (you can afford)!

Hi all,

Cool screen name Placer Chaser. The 5000 was the first metal detector I ever purchased and I had never been out prospecting before. So there were guys on the forums who had years on me and these guys could go out with a Dowsing stick and find more gold then I could with a 5000. Some guys last year found more gold then I did with just a pan and garden shovel. However with the 5000 advantage I have found 3 nuggets in the first year for just over .25oz and my friend who has been using the Eureka Gold has yet to find his first one. Gold is hard to find, knowing I have the best detector adds alot of much needed confidence in a skill that is slow to develop. If I had not found any gold yet I would probably not still be prospecting but with a little bit of luck I've stuck with it and really love the hobby. I know Arizona and her history more now, I've made some memories that will last a lifetime with friends and family and have couple of small yellow rocks to show for it.

I second that, cool name. "Placer Chaser",

You, forgot the gpx 4000. The GPX 4000,45,48 & 5000 are all smooth & quit detector's and I am 100% satisfied with my GPX 5000. But, I don't think it would find any gold that my GP 3500 coil was over :wub:

Big Ed

hi all first post here

so i throw in a couple pennys

you cant go wrong with a 5k

for a first time detector owner your gonna ether go nuts or learn on one of the best machines made.

if you want to turn it on and go "well i guess the preset is there for that" hehe

they are many an adjustments available for many conditions on this machine.

i have a 4500 a "used new 5000" what a deal i got on that hehe ,also older minelabs n other machines.

mind you that i have more time on the 45 than the 5k

in the test field "with the settings i use on the 45 i can pick up a 498 grainer "just over a ounce" at 3 foot

with the 16" mono and with the 24"mono --i would no dougbt dig the target ! with the 11" i can hear it but would

walk past it in the fied.

the 5k with the 11" / 16" -- no respnose at all " that i would dig on any settings "" and i did play with them for hours.

now when the 24" on -- it picked the target up / no doubt dig !

in a nut shell the 5k is a supurb unit !! but very in need of time to learn,, but i have found you must have an arsenal

of coils for the areas you are searching

where the 4500 "for me" is far more versital and sensitive to different depths with one coil.

the 3k series are great , then again i wouldnt trade my 21 for 2 5k's

i detect alot -- but have nowhere the expertise of many others " jp,cg,ra,js,andonandon

so take in all the knowlage that people share

if you can aford one, get it if you cant get an older one .

read an learn get in the fielf and dont get frustrated just play, and that whohya will shine

well that was more like a nickles worth

dont know if that helps or hinders, but i will share what i know anytime

thanks for readin my babble

Dude get the 5000, I found enough gold the first 6 months to pay for it. I agree with Oldies buy from Rob not only will you have all the goodies that everyone buys anyway you will leave youre feild lesson with confidense and if you hunt hard probably a nuggie or two :D

in the test field "with the settings i use on the 45 i can pick up a 498 grainer "just over a ounce" at 3 foot

with the 16" mono and with the 24"mono --i would no dougbt dig the target ! with the 11" i can hear it but would

walk past it in the fied.

Hi Rhino,

I have been detecting since the days of the SD2200 and have owned every Minelab machine including the SD2200 since, right up to the GPX 5000 that I have now.

I detect a lot more than most people, and was a Minelab dealer for a while.

I have to say that I find your claim that you can hear a nugget of barely over an ounce at 36 inches to be unbelievable. I would go so far as to say that a nugget of that size would be impossible to hear, even with the most benign ground conditions. I am surprised that no one here has challenged you on that claim !

Believe me, I and many other experienced prospectors wish it were possible to hear a nugget of little over an ounce at 36 inches, as we would all be doing very nicely ! :D

Cheers,

Rick

hi

ararat

thanks i surprised also.

but its true ok like i said it is in a made test field cleared of all rocks thereis just clayish sand and caliche

i drove a pipe down at angle and cleand out the pipe mesured and then droped the nugget in,then pulled pipe

i did this at 3'-2'and 1'

1 oz in the 3' about 3/4 oz in 2' 1 gram in the 2 1foot holes 1 with manetite 1 with just the 1 gram

then filled with sandy clay soil , and for good measure i watered them in real good so they would grow! "what a hoot"

so when i pulled the pipe they may have come up a bit ? i dont think much though. they been in the ground for 3 years.

a couple of my buddies have been in the test spot that can vouge for it,

now out in the real world conditions i dont think it will go that deep but i have dug a few allmost that deep

but then again my target was a large chunk of qartz/ironston/greenschist and the nug was 2' under that so i dont

think i would have found it for not the hot boulder on top got a pic of the hole some where.

post-46129-0-58290600-1329668355_thumb.j

anyway thanx for the sceptisisim dont blame ya at all

G'day Placer :)

First let me say a BIG howdy to the forum from West Australia mate.

Now, you need to know how good the 5000 is mate ??

well here's the proof mate,this lot of smalls took my 5k tally to over

23oz since i grabbed it 11 months ago,

003.jpg

my best with the 5000 so far is

a lovely 7oz dab (Dab = West Oz for heavy nugget).

7oz-1.jpg

Regardless of what anybody else tells ya get the 5k ASAP and hit the

fields mate before Tom & Pops clean up.

Hi Tom & Pop...

Pete in West OZ B)

hi

ararat

thanks i surprised also.

but its true ok like i said it is in a made test field cleared of all rocks thereis just clayish sand and caliche

i drove a pipe down at angle and cleand out the pipe mesured and then droped the nugget in,then pulled pipe

i did this at 3'-2'and 1'

1 oz in the 3' about 3/4 oz in 2' 1 gram in the 2 1foot holes 1 with manetite 1 with just the 1 gram

then filled with sandy clay soil , and for good measure i watered them in real good so they would grow! "what a hoot"

so when i pulled the pipe they may have come up a bit ? i dont think much though. they been in the ground for 3 years.

a couple of my buddies have been in the test spot that can vouge for it,

now out in the real world conditions i dont think it will go that deep but i have dug a few allmost that deep

but then again my target was a large chunk of qartz/ironston/greenschist and the nug was 2' under that so i dont

think i would have found it for not the hot boulder on top got a pic of the hole some where.

post-46129-0-58290600-1329668355_thumb.j

anyway thanx for the sceptisisim dont blame ya at all

Rhino

Wats with the 6ft wide hole mate ????

was the 1oz nugget a thin 1ft wide bit ???

Dont get me wrong bro as i'm not trying to be rude but geez bloke :blink:

With a hole that size i would have dug up half a leader for gold.

Why is the hole so big mate ??? was that after you opened it up to

take out lots of smaller bits ??

Pete

get a 5k

beepinpete nice gold !!!!! damnice

it aint as wide as it looks maybe 3'

i put the pick into moren one nug afor so i leard to dig around the target plus the coil so big it dont go in the hole well.

heres another view , iam still pickin cactus outa my but n back

post-46129-0-64290700-1329687589_thumb.j

i sure aint sayin nothing bad about the 5k its the best out there. now what i dont get is how many people hate them 2outof3

people i talk to say they dont like it at all ?? i got mine hardly used for the low cost of 2 nugs, the guy was ready to

wrap it around a tree !!

i bought my 2100 new from ol hoss blackman cant remember how many years ago that was.

it still finds deep gold and ya never have to play with it. just saayin

itsacallin

Rhino

Agree on not putting the pick through a nugget, it only takes doing it once and you then start to dig way around the signal.

Looks like nice looking ground out that way, them cactus spikes must be a bugger to get out too, :D the pain we go through ay :D

Pete B)

Rhino

Agree on not putting the pick through a nugget, it only takes doing it once and you then start to dig way around the signal.

Looks like nice looking ground out that way, them cactus spikes must be a bugger to get out too, :D the pain we go through ay :D

Pete B)

Pete...

A lot of our soil is not as tightly compacted as the stuff you dig in.

Ive dug a lot of holes and have to dig a lot bigger to keep it from caving back in

on what your going after. Cactus aint too bad.unless it teddy bear cholla ..its them dang cats claws I hate!!! They have hooks that go the opposite way that your going..... They rip you up.

Gotta love Arizona!!!

Tom H.

G'day Placer :)

First let me say a BIG howdy to the forum from West Australia mate.

Now, you need to know how good the 5000 is mate ??

well here's the proof mate,this lot of smalls took my 5k tally to over

23oz since i grabbed it 11 months ago,

003.jpg

my best with the 5000 so far is

a lovely 7oz dab (Dab = West Oz for heavy nugget).

7oz-1.jpg

Regardless of what anybody else tells ya get the 5k ASAP and hit the

fields mate before Tom & Pops clean up.

Hi Tom & Pop...

Pete in West OZ B)

Pete....im gonna throw up from the drool if you dont stop showing that dang CHUNK of gold you got!

Man, that is one heck of a beautiful piece!

Bet you got your own yellow diaper pants when you found it. :)

Tom H.

Rob just posted two gently used ones.....I would go with the one that has the pocket rocket on it.

Tom H.

Archived