Off Subject - Vitamin C Intake?

• Admin

Hello All,

Over the years I have been one that has taken a vitamin regimen daily, but was always curious with the amount of Vitamin C someone should take. Over the years I have read studies that suggest as high as 10 Grams (10,000 miligrams) per day. There are several forms of Vitamin C, two major ones are Ascorbic acid and Calcium Ascorbate, also known as Ester C. Have taken both, the Ester C seems easier on the stomach, but seem to get better feeling from the Ascorbic acid.

I'm back taking 10 Grams per day, feeling a bit better than prior.

Just curious on your thoughts and what you take, if anything.

Rob Allison

I take 3000 mg C, Vitamin D3, B12, Super B Complex, Green Tea Extract, a bunch of stuff for prostate health, Senior Health Prostate Essentials and COSTCO Prostate supplement, and Super Beta Prostate. Cranberry Extract. Quercetin.

I am convinced that Vitamin C is a very valuable supplement. I have not had a cold for 5 years, I reduced my Vitamin C intake and WHAM, a cold, with bronchitis. I am back on increased doses of vitamin C.

I also take Graviola which is supposed to be the most potent anti-oxidant cancer fighter available, have to take it with food sort of hard on the stomach.

Doc

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments. Are you taking Vitamin C pills or powder? I'm back taking the Vitamin C powder that I mix in a Glass of Orange Juice. I take 5,000mg in the morning and then another 5,000mg towards the evening.

I also take a good Multi, Fish Oil & Flak Seed Oil. At one time I was taking 10-12 pills a day, but it seems to be excessive and expensive.

Some have mentioned, along with what I have studied that many Vitamin don't get broken down, most goes right out your system with only a small percentage absorbed. I have heard using Digestive enzymes helps break down the vitamin in pill form along with helping you absorb more of them.

Ok, just curious ..

Rob Allison

Rob,

It looks like you're doing most everything right with the C...

My understanding is that Ester C has a bit more going for it.

I take around the amount you do Rob and more if I feel a cold coming on.

I take a high potency B, E, Zink (ahem, gentlemen that one is important), Fish oil or Omega 3,

COQ-10, Hi potency B-12, oh I could go on and on....

As long as we're talking about health, has anyone ever tried MGN-3 and Moducare?

They both build up T-cells, fight infection and are synergistic when taken together.

(you can read about them of course on the internet.)..they are expensive, but they work quite well.

My kids take them and they just don't get sick, period.

And neither do...aw I'm not going to temp fate.

fwiw

I unfortunately am not on any vitamin regimens all though I know I should be, but when I do take vitamin C I take the emergenC 1000 mg powder packs. They seem to work not sure if it is enough though. I agree with Grub if your wife is a nurse ask her if she does not know I am sure she can find out. :)

I think the key for me is Timed Released Vitamin C pills. But now I am only taking 1000 mg per day. After hearing from you guys maybe I should be taking more up it to about 2000 to 4000 mg per day, or at least 2000 mg per day.

Mine is a natural source pure vegetable derived Vitamin C in 'Ascorbic Acid' form as well.

I almost always take vitamin pills after a meal on a full stomach

Also yes I heard the 'Ester C' form is easy on the stomach.

Toxicity, Adverse Warnings, and Side Effects: Do not exceed recommended dosage for adults being 1 to 2 capsules daily(1000 to 2000 mg per day). Taking too much Vitamin C may cause stomach upset, diarrhea, mouth sores, frequent urination, or kidney stones. Consult your healthcare practitioner if any of these side effects persist and/or worsen.

Warnings and Precautions: None known when it is taken as directed.

Vitamin C works well when taken in conjunction with other antioxidants such as vitamin E, and also it enhances the absorption of the mineral iron.

Be very careful about Mega doses of anything, some of them are toxic, etc, but reading and research will help you with that.. I cannot tell you when I last had a cold or flu, I take things sporadically too, however I do eat a lot of

RAW Fruits and Vegetables, when I steam veggies I usually let the water I use cool, then drink it...Just some thoughts on this.....Carrots, Celery, Garlic Yikes I am getting hungry.....Good Hunting.....Geo

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice. I'm backing down to 5 Grams a day of Vitamin C. I don't have the best eating habits, so I supplement what I think I need in Vitamins/Minerals. I've taken a lot of stuff over the years, I never been able to say "Ya I really feel that working." Maybe I'm too young for that now ... :rolleyes:

Wishing you all the best Health and Wellness. Without it, we can't swing those detectors, run those dredges and work those drywashers.

Rob Allison

I've taken a lot of stuff over the years, I never been able to say "Ya I really feel that working." Maybe I'm too young for that now ... :rolleyes:

Rob Allison

I am the same, I also cannot feel the all the vitamins pills I take working.

BUT if you really want to feel something working make a fresh carrot, apple, celery, & beet juice mixture in a juicing machine and drink a 1(one) pint mug of that juice in the morning. You will get an energy boost(stress buster), and a real feel good kick just like(the same as) if you drank a whiskey and water mix(or beer) for breakfast!

I just ate 5 chilly dogs and drank a Rock star, does that count :unsure:

Chilly dogs are LOADED with Vit "C"-------"Vit Chilly"

My darling wife has been feeding me various vitamins for many years.

She read a book by Lady Cilento many years ago and that convinced her to start with the vitamins.

I know when I've had enough Vit C. I run for the bog :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I wonder how we survived before we were told we needed all these pills and potions?

Robert

Hi Goldnomad,

The way we survived before was that there were enough nutrients in our food.

Nowadays that is sadly not the case for a lot of food.

We also were not exposed to the huge number of additives (salt - sugar - sodium etc.) that are

now routinely a part of our diet in rather scary amounts.

I'm probably saying something you already know, but just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

I take One Daily Iron Free Mega Food brand multivitamin. It's 100% made from food

I also take Balanced B Complex by Mega Food also 100% whole food.

Ester-C 500mg tablet

Solgar 200mg Magnesium Citrate. Most people don't get enough magnesium in there diet. It can prevent heart beat problems. 200 mg is 1/2 of daily intake.

Costco Omega-3 Fish Oil one per day enteric coated provides 410mg EPA and 274mg DHA. Also can prevent heart arrhythmias.

Carlson Solar D Gems vitamin D3 2000iu with 50mg DHA and 42mg of EPA

Natural Factors Coenzyme Q10 100mg

Dark Chocolate Lindt 90% cocoa 2 squares

Aspirin 81mg Bayer coated. My wife's Cardiologist told me he thinks people over 40 should be taking 81mg a day. Always check with your doctor.

Archived