Gold Furnace

Hey all,

The last time I tried to sell some gold that had been melted it was not no easy thing.....Seems that jewelery thieves do the same thing to sell the gold they have heisted....Just saying.....

Steve

I could how that could happen. Fortunately the people I might sell to know me and where I get my gold from.

Does any one have suggestions on what a good affordable furnace/Kiln for melting Gold might be ?

Kripes!...

Wish I needed a furnace for melting the gold ive found!

Right now a oxy/ecetelyne torch will work fine. Put it in a carbon block, flux and melt.

Dont know the melting point of gold, but I have a furnace for melting brass like the one in the previous post. Gets it almost white hot.

Tom H.

Myself and a couple of others are using the handi pour from this place

www.makeyourowngoldbars.com

here is the last one I did.

Allen,

It took a little looking on the site you linked, but I think this is the furnace you have??

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/MakeYourOwnGoldBars/Items/Item.aspx?sck=6306077&itemid=2874475&caSKU=15-510-h%20-%20ad%233&caTitle=Melting%20Furnace%20Melt%20Scrap%20Gold%20%26%20Silver%20at%20Home%20-%20Bars-%20Easy%20Handle%20to%20Pour

Skip

Kripes!...

Wish I needed a furnace for melting the gold ive found!

Right now a oxy/ecetelyne torch will work fine. Put it in a carbon block, flux and melt.

Dont know the melting point of gold, but I have a furnace for melting brass like the one in the previous post. Gets it almost white hot.

Tom H.

That's probably what I'll wind up doing. Gold melts at 2200 F

That's probably what I'll wind up doing. Gold melts at 2200 F

The melting point of gold is just under 1950 degrees Fahrenheit for 999.9 fine gold, less for gold with impurities.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/melting-temperature-metals-d_860.html

http://www.chemicalelements.com/elements/au.html

http://www.garelicksteel.com/pdfs/Melting_Points_of_Common_Metals.pdf

Skip

thats it Skip, I got a couple extra crucibles so that I can melt silver and not cross contaminate and always have an extra.

Allen

Thanks Allen for the great video. I've been looking for one of those furnaces. Down here where I'm digging its just about all small gold so I throw it in a jar telling myself I'll melt it down some day. thanks to you I can now. Could you tell me where to get Nitre and how much of each Borax/Nitre to but in. Thanks again for the tip and a great video.

An easy way to build a furnace or foundry is to use castable refractory poured into a container like a steel can , propane tank or what ever you have. For my foundry, I used the bottom of a 25 gal. propane tank and a 5 gal. tank. My foundry is waste oil fired as I wanted to melt cast iron. But for gold I would use propane as a fuel. This takes less time to fire up and will work well to melt gold. An old 5 gal. propane tank would make a great size container to make a foundry for gold. If you do a search for "Backyard Foundry" or "Homemade Foundry" you will find many ways to build one. Some are as small as a coffee can. If someone wants more information on were to get what they need to build one or how to build it just PM me I'll be glad to help.

Mark

An easy way to build a furnace or foundry is to use castable refractory poured into a container like a steel can , propane tank or what ever you have. For my foundry, I used the bottom of a 25 gal. propane tank and a 5 gal. tank. My foundry is waste oil fired as I wanted to melt cast iron. But for gold I would use propane as a fuel. This takes less time to fire up and will work well to melt gold. An old 5 gal. propane tank would make a great size container to make a foundry for gold. If you do a search for "Backyard Foundry" or "Homemade Foundry" you will find many ways to build one. Some are as small as a coffee can. If someone wants more information on were to get what they need to build one or how to build it just PM me I'll be glad to help.

Mark

Ok, Thanks,

What is a castable refactory ?

Castable refractory is somewhat like cement in that you mix it with water and pour it into a mold and then it hardens. Cement can't be used in a foundry because it will always have water traped in it and when heated it will explode. Refractory on the other hand is more porous and will allow steam to excape from the refractory. The refractory is used in a foundry as an insulation to contain the heat needed to melt metal. A newly built foundry will have steam excaping from it for many firings. Castable refractory comes in many different temperature ranges, I used 3000 degree and still it vitrified in some spots inside the foundry. And let me tell you, molten cast iron is some scary s@%t.

Mark

Archived