Gold Bug 2 Tips

This is a manufacturers dream. We are each laying out a case as to why for each of us this Fisher detector is "better" than that Fisher detector!

I admit I am spoiled rotten. I have a Fisher F75 Special Edition that has really treated me well in the UK on relics and ancient coins, and in Alaska hunting gold in trashy tailing piles. I have a Gold Bug 2 for chasing tiny bits. If I wanted both in one detector the Gold Bug Pro is it, and for a price lower than either. The Gold Bug Pro hits small gold much better than my F75, and the Gold Bug Pro is heads and tails beyond the Gold Bug 2 for anything other than small nugget detecting.

That said I guess Fisher is just going to have to be happy selling me on two more expensive detectors versus one that does what both will nearly as well for about 1/3 the price. But I suspect I am a tiny minority of purchasers.

I love threads like this! make me buy another detector! ha ha i know a guy that has a gb2 for sale for 400 bucks. I might trade him gold for it. If the pro works anything like the T2 that Dave Johnson also designed, i love that detector. It is hot on bigger stuff like 3 grains and up. My gpx will do that so i'm thinking another detecor that is hot on small gold with disc mode would fit me well, so yep Mr. Allison has a point. And Ray, like we talked about you seem to be the only one raving about this detector!

Hi,

If you drop back Steve, I just want to clear up a point you made in this post about the GB Pro

http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/1876-Help-with-picking-a-new-new-detector-for-prospecting

With respect to iron disc on the G2/GB Pro. You are able to disc iron while running in all-metal. Not only do you have the Fe304 bar graph as an indication of iron content, there is the main meter at the top of the screen which usually indicates below 40 on iron, if it is large enough and not a boot tack, seems the nail shape is the hardest to disc. This machine is so smart it can tell when targets consist of both ferrous and non-ferrous metals. The main meter will show a reading above 40 while the mineral content graph will indicate high iron content, all while in all-metal mode.

I think there is a real danger listening to people who have used the GB2 a lot and then are asked to give their opinions on the GB-Pro. In most cases I have seen a poor recommendation given, and then only after they have used the machine for a day or two. It takes quite a number of days to really get to know the ins and outs of this great little machine.

I recently went over a well detected bit of bedrock right next to a main road, I got one 0.75 gram bit with the 4500, and got another 4 bits with the GB-Pro, two @ 0.1 gram one @ 0.04 gram and one @ 0.03 gram all were good clear signals, but they required just the right amount of gain and threshold settings to locate. Something that takes a bit of time to work out, certainly not apparent from a few hours use, especially when comparing a G2/GB-Pro to GB2. I suspect the 0.1 gram bits were on edge as they were flattish, and would've been easy pickings for the Minelab had they been laying flat to the coil.

I'm sorry I high-jacked this post, I just believe the GB-Pro isn't getting the credence it deserves, especially when misinformation is presented from people who we look up to for reliable information.

Cheers

Kev.

• 8 years later...