broken quick trac button

I break down my 4500 into my backpack all the time, to carry on my motorcylce. When i do, i twist the handle 180deg to fit. So, when i do this the smart port quick trac wire gets twisted. most of the time it's not an issue, because there is plenty there to do it. Well, this one time, i had twisted it without looking at the wire, and it pulled it so hard it broke the wire. The only reason i know is the button quit working unless i moved the wire. Not good. So i wiggled it around to find the bad spot and cut it, spliced, and taped it. It now works as it should, but in doing this i realized the connector from the coil to the control box wiggles just enough that when i turn it on and listen, it causes the detecor to go erratic. It doesn't do it at all with commander coils, just the joey i just got in trade. If i tighten it down really hard it doesn't do it bad, and really not at all while detecting. Also, it does still sound off to .5 grain very well at a couple inches. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem with coiltek coils. The coil looks as new as i was told and really dont think for a minute i got a bad deal there. You can tell if one was really used a lot. I guess i could send it in to coiltek, just wondering what you guys think. Thanks, joe.

• Admin

Hey Joe,

I want to make sure I understand what you're talking about. When you say the connector from the coil to the control box, are you talking about the piece on the actual control box moving? If the one on the control box is loose and moving around a bit, it has a small, narrow nut on the inside that keeps it tight. You might have to open it up (if out of warranty) to secure the connector.

You should be able to get all coils, regardless of manufacture to tighten down good and snug.

Shoot me back a reply, just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Thanks rob, and no its not the box, but its the nut on the connector and it seems like it doesn't bottom out tight. I'm not puttin a wrench on it, but i'm not weakling, and it can still move side to side just a bit even after getting it as tight as i can,and when it does, its makes a signal when it does move. Does that make sense? I mean the coil is as like new as i've seen. I tried putting on my other coils and they fit snug with no issues. SO,,, i know its not the box, but the coil connector. The threads look fine on the inside of the ring that screws on the box connector, and it doesn't spin up hard, as if there was somehting wrong, like cross threaded. IDK!!!! However, it does seem to still work really well, picking up a 13 grain nugget at 8in buried in the old river channel in the back yard, so now what do you think???

I put a brand new 12x15 commander on mine and it did the same thing, It is also very sensitive, you need to tape the cord to the shaft so it will not move. You wouldn't think a brand new coil should have these issues, they must have had a run of not so perfect plug ends, it is very sensitive though.

Hmmm come to think of it the mono 8in i got used from steve at AMDS had a small zip tie around the rubber sheath part that protects the end where the nut is. That coil's connector feels like it gets snug though, but yeah i hear you there. Might just try a zip tie for today. If i have to send it in, i dont want any residue left on it. I'm going out to try it now so wish me luck. Just hope the snow will give in. Still a lot up there.

• Admin

Hey MinerJoe,

Ok, now I know exactly what you're talking about. I personally have never had that problem. That being said, when I tighten my coil connector, I make sure I wiggle the cord while I'm tightening it. This helps get another half turn or so on the connector. You might try this if you haven't already.

Many have also secured the cord with tape and plastic type hangers that help support the coil wire from moving.

There very well might have been some bad coil connectors made.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Hey thanks you guys i appreciate the help. I put a small zip tie on it and took it out to the gold fields. I Picked up four nice nuggets between 12 and 15 grains. WOW. Headed back out now, but my legs are junk after the big hike yesterday. good times!

Archived