Landing $20-per-hour mining job...

Whats a "gomer" ?

Stands for "Get Out of My Emergency Room"

Rag Dude says he's a janitor but that's definitely hospital slang for a worthless old person.

See Here

Not nice Rag Dude, these folks have helped you. You got moxie but your manners could use some "polish". Careful that one of these "gomers" don't help your "shine".

Clay

MinerDiggins

Subscribe to the NewDiggins Newsletter

Hey rag, you could get you a weedeater, All the kids up here get $15.00 an hour just to do yard work, I just had my place done. $60.00 for 4 hours. everyone cxharges at least that much or more here, Fire season. and its mandatory, you get your yard in order. with a fire break. Grubstake

Excuse me. You've done a nice job of twisting things. The gomer was rude to me by making it seem like I was on trial. Therefore, I tossed his attitude back at him. See? So please don't make comments suggesting that I've been disrespectful towards "these folks ..." as that's as bogus as fool's gold.

Well... I guess you told me! I am so embarrassed! Please forgive an old "gomer" for pointing out one of the customs of prospectors. I keep forgetting that manners went out the door waaaaay back in the 20th century.

Just one question RagMan. Will you be calling New Beeper a "gomer" when you meet up with him out in the middle of the desert? :o

You are excused.

clay the bogus gomer

Hey Clay! atleast running a weedeater will teach him to swing low and slow! I guess Gomer is reffering to Gomer Pile? I guess that would include this hillbillie! Grubstake

Good point Grubstake. Nothing like a little practice. Maybe he will even kick up a nugget big enough to name! What do you say RagMan, will you call it "Gomer" or "Pile"? :unsure:

clay the groundskeeper

Ragman, check out this website: http://geotemps.com

I worked for them about 5 years ago as a geologist technician at the Midas Mine. Just a friendly reminder, mining is not for the faint of heart.

Battling 115 lb jacklegs in 100+ degree temperature, and working rotating shifts that have you jumping from nights to days. My average workday was 15 hours long (12 working and 3 hrs traveling to and from the mine).

Good Luck!

Jesse

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure you are aware that if you have diabetes it is extremely hard to get a commercial truck drivers license, most mines require them even if you are never going to drive on the highway.?

If you go to the mine offices at the job site, show up in your steel-toed boots with hard hat and safety goggles, it shows respect and seriousness.

I have got jobs like that by being dressed the part and having a pair of greasy gloves in my back pocket and some scuffed up old Redwing boots on.

There are lots of truck drivers 56 years old, I would not expect a lot of jack-leg drillers to be 56.

Their are truck driving jobs available to private contractors but they don't pay that well.

Check with the major truck rentals outfits, they are always wanting empty's moved to the latest disaster areas, under 26,000 LBS does not require class "C" license or air brake endorsements if you are a private contractor.

Get 5 of your friends who can drive a big rental truck, get someones wife to follow you and pick all of you up at delivery, go to the next job, charge your friends on a share basis so your ride is paid for, get a Flying "J" and other fuel cards, charge all fuel on your card deducting a proper amount for your services.

All of this has worked for me, at one time I towed a Chevy Tracker to get home in, I liked deliveries under 200 miles, no one else wanted them and I could do 3 a day, you have to buy your own diesel fuel, no riders allowed, I started out at .56 cents a mile , class "C" operators got .66 cents, you got about .50 a mile off on income tax at years end, get 10 friends working for you and charge commissions.

It dont pay as well as it used too but its a foot in the door.

BTW: If you quit the crab boats you have too repay your air fare, more quit than stay!

Archived