Open Letter to Minelab

Rob has inform the guys on this forum that Minelab has stop making the SD detectors.Now I could understand this if Minelab had something to replace the SD's at the same time but I don't think this is the case.

Not everybody can afford or willing to put out the money a GPX cost. Some of the best gold has been found by a guy with the old green box Minelab SD on here.

You called this meeting this past weekend a Partner Conference but without the people buying your product it would be all for not.

So please Minelab don't treat us like mushrooms and keep us in the dark to feed us bull.

Thank You.

Chuck Anders

Rob has inform the guys on this forum that Minelab has stop making the SD detectors.Now I could understand this if Minelab had something to replace the SD's at the same time but I don't think this is the case.

Not everybody can afford or willing to put out the money a GPX cost. Some of the best gold has been found by a guy with the old green box Minelab SD on here.

You called this meeting this past weekend a Partner Conference but without the people buying your product it would be all for not.

So please Minelab don't treat us like mushrooms and keep us in the dark to feed us bull.

Thank You.

Chuck Anders

I think that with the release of the new GPX 5000 detector from Minelab, that there would be more of the older machines available for purchase as some operators upgrade. Maybe that is one realistic reason for the demise of the SD replacements. Is it up to them to keep producing a budget machine to appease the minority of people, is the question?? Cheers.

G'Day Old Sandy

I don't know if you could call the users of the SD detectors in the minority.If you a nugget hunter part time and live a thousand miles away from nearest gold you can't see the 5G's say to 2G's and we know lots of gold has been found by the SD's.

I don't know how the sales of the SD's compare to the GPX but all buy what they can.

Take Care Sandy

Chuck Anders

Guest GoldProspectinginOz

G'Day Old Sandy

I don't know if you could call the users of the SD detectors in the minority.If you a nugget hunter part time and live a thousand miles away from nearest gold you can't see the 5G's say to 2G's and we know lots of gold has been found by the SD's.

I don't know how the sales of the SD's compare to the GPX but all buy what they can.

Take Care Sandy

Chuck Anders

Chuck I am sure that there are a significant number of folk that have the same opinions as you on this matter.

ML's decision to discontinue the SD series is I believe all about milking the consumer cash cow! ML don't want you to have the choice of buying a lower priced SD detector with a full factory warranty, they want you to buy a gpx 5000 or 4800 (just what is reason for this model?) which probably gives them a greater profit margin!The only alternative choices you have at present for a lower priced Pi detector is a second hand ML with a 3 month dealer warranty,or the TDI or the Infinium. However you can be sure that if the lower priced detector segment of the market of not filled by ML then someone else will step in! Maybe Whites with a new model? But one thing is for sure and that is it's possible to build a Pi detector that can be much cheaper than even the ML's SD's that can totally outperform them and may match or exceed the best currently available!

In the longer term ML risk with their present Pi detector consumer policies being beaten at the low, middle and certainly at the high end of the market!

Just my thoughts,

all the very best,

doug

australian electronic gold prospecting forum

http://australianelectronicgoldprospectingforum.com/index.php

Chuck I am sure that there are a significant number of folk that have the same opinions as you on this matter.

ML's decision to discontinue the SD series is I believe all about milking the consumer cash cow! ML don't want you to have the choice of buying a lower priced SD detector with a full factory warranty, they want you to buy a gpx 5000 or 4800 (just what is reason for this model?) which probably gives them a greater profit margin!The only alternative choices you have at present for a lower priced Pi detector is a second hand ML with a 3 month dealer warranty,or the TDI or the Infinium. However you can be sure that if the lower priced detector segment of the market of not filled by ML then someone else will step in! Maybe Whites with a new model? But one thing is for sure and that is it's possible to build a Pi detector that can be much cheaper than even the ML's SD's that can totally outperform them and may match or exceed the best currently available!

In the longer term ML risk with their present Pi detector consumer policies being beaten at the low, middle and certainly at the high end of the market!

Just my thoughts,

all the very best,

doug

australian electronic gold prospecting forum

http://australianelectronicgoldprospectingforum.com/index.php

Doug, the emphasis in blue is my own as that is what attracted my attention. I agree with Chuck there IS a market for a lower priced option than the GPX series.

IF Mindlab was to MODIFY their own SD range using (quieter, better, more stable) electronic components available now, they could offer a BETTER “mid-priced” PI product (by ML standards). All for minimal R&D, cost & risk. SD detectors are renouned for performing on deep targets and small targets for much less that the GPX series. On less noisey ground like US there is still a place for them.

In fact it may embarrass sales in higher priced GPX series and THIS is why, as you say, they are reluctant to fill this gap THIS way. Aftermarket Mods are being done and very successfully on older detectors with considerable success, and with warranty.

This option would suit many ML supporters who can’t or don’t wish to afford the GPX series.

Huego

Archived