Notes on some mining districts in northern Nevada

Howdy Don-2. It is now past 6pm here and your e-mail has not arrived in my spam list... It is easy to make a mistake

in my name. The "st" should be left off.

jim straight <jimstraig@earthlink.net>

The original copies are sold. Liz's electonic office is now re-printing 414. She does a great job and it is a spiral bound quality reprint. Back in the late 1950's when I was working for Eagle-Picher as a foreman/controlman in Lovelock. I was also a freelance small mine consutant

and 414 was one of my references. This is the copy that

Liz is reprinting.

The price is now $20 mailed first class. If you will send

me your mailing address to my mailing address I will foreward your order to Liz and when 414 arrives at your

door you can send a check for $20 to me for Liz.

Thanks Jim Straight

• 4 weeks later...

That sounds great Jim! I really like spiral binding. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you here at the forum. I probably did type your whole last name. I appreciate your help.

Don White

Howdy Don-2. It is now past 6pm here and your e-mail has not arrived in my spam list... It is easy to make a mistake

in my name. The "st" should be left off.

jim straight <jimstraig@earthlink.net>

The original copies are sold. Liz's electonic office is now re-printing 414. She does a great job and it is a spiral bound quality reprint. Back in the late 1950's when I was working for Eagle-Picher as a foreman/controlman in Lovelock. I was also a freelance small mine consutant

and 414 was one of my references. This is the copy that

Liz is reprinting.

The price is now $20 mailed first class. If you will send

me your mailing address to my mailing address I will foreward your order to Liz and when 414 arrives at your

door you can send a check for $20 to me for Liz.

Thanks Jim Straight

• 2 months later...

Howdy All :) ... The bulletins are still available by contacting me jimstraig@earthlink.net

(please notice the "ht" has been omited). As you are not already in my address book you will be

spammed out but I will catch it in my spam list and reply....

I'm no longer publishing the bulletins. Liz, at her electronic office now prints them by

request... They are now $25 to your door. First class mail.

There will be a SASE with the bulletin when you get it. You pay Liz then...

Just send me an email with your request and I will catch it and reply that I got it

and will foreward the request to the electronic office....Thanks Jim Straight

Howdy All :) ... The bulletins are still available by contacting me jimstraig@earthlink.net

(please notice the "ht" has been omited). As you are not already in my address book you will be

spammed out but I will catch it in my spam list and reply....

I'm no longer publishing the bulletins. Liz, at her electronic office now prints them by

request... They are now $25 to your door. First class mail.

There will be a SASE with the bulletin when you get it. You pay Liz then...

Just send me an email with your request and I will catch it and reply that I got it

and will foreward the request to the electronic office....Thanks Jim Straight

Hey Jim,

Good to hear you all yakking it up on hear, especially when you take Clay Diggins' to school!...lolol

I got my pamphlet from you before i even knew i was gonna be in Northern NV, funny how things work out, huh?

Have a great year!

paul

Hey Paul... Me take Clay Diggins to school??? Naw,Clay is one smart

prospector-miner and a good guy to share a campfire with. When he speaks I listen and learn... no backtalk from me.

Now about old USGS Bulletins, 414 is truly a pioneer work as it blazed the way for later prospectors and singled out districts that were then just known to be most promising for futher investigation.

Bulletin 414 was a very early guide as back in 1908 Humboldt couny was vertually virgin territory... It was not until years later that Pershing county was formed from the lower half of Humboldt...

As just one example of the valur of 414, what is now slangly known a "Ryepatch" to the east of Ryepatch dam is actially Majuba Placers. The true Ryepatch mine is across the valley. Thanks...

Hey Paul... Me take Clay Diggins to school??? Naw,Clay is one smart

prospector-miner and a good guy to share a campfire with. When he speaks I listen and learn... no backtalk from me.

Now about old USGS Bulletins, 414 is truly a pioneer work as it blazed the way for later prospectors and singled out districts that were then just known to be most promising for futher investigation.

Bulletin 414 was a very early guide as back in 1908 Humboldt couny was vertually virgin territory... It was not until years later that Pershing county was formed from the lower half of Humboldt...

As just one example of the valur of 414, what is now slangly known a "Ryepatch" to the east of Ryepatch dam is actially Majuba Placers. The true Ryepatch mine is across the valley. Thanks...

You are right about that Jim,

but he has such a great sense of humor that i like to help him out and exploit it!!! :D:D

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone... Dutch John here..I thought I would reply to this forum with some new information. Back in about 1948 I was a freshman student at the Mackay School of Mines (Reno). I was then registered in Director Carpenter's "Introductory to Mining" class. So as I was interested in learning more about Nye County, I went to the Nevada State Bureau of Mines which back then was is the same building. I bought mt first publication at this time from Mr. Vic Kral...

The point I wish to make since then, back in 1948, I have acquiered quite a library of old bulletins and reference books; some long out of print. I'm now in my early ages and have decided to clear out my 40 foot shelf a few at a time... They are on various subjects and general interests...

more later about this... jim straight

Hello everyone... Dutch John here..I thought I would reply to this forum with some new information. Back in about 1948 I was a freshman student at the Mackay School of Mines (Reno). I was then registered in Director Carpenter's "Introductory to Mining" class. So as I was interested in learning more about Nye County, I went to the Nevada State Bureau of Mines which back then was is the same building. I bought mt first publication at this time from Mr. Vic Kral...

The point I wish to make since then, back in 1948, I have acquiered quite a library of old bulletins and reference books; some long out of print. I'm now in my early ages and have decided to clear out my 40 foot shelf a few at a time... They are on various subjects and general interests...

more later about this... jim straight

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone... gosh my library of old USGS bulletins has going pretty good... For those of you who have asked me if it is true that VLF's csn be offset to follow concentions magnetite (fe304),this is an old trick used by many old timers... and I allude to it several times in Vol.3, 7th edition which Rob sells. To my surprise the 7th edition is making a strong comeback and is on back order. However, to let you know I do mot receive a royalty on any copies sold. It is published and distributed by a jobber who sells to distributers such as Rob, Bill and Chris... and JOBE who sometimes distribute it the the various gold shows. Again thanks and my best wishes. :) jim

Jim

Hello again, I purchased your book titled Advanced Prospecting and Detecting for Hardrock Gold about a month ago and just started to read it. GREAT BOOK!. Unfortunately the weather has been so nice here is Northern Cal that I've been out doing other things before it changes and haven't sat down to reading a great deal. Thanks for all the sharing of information and work you put towards your writings.

Take care, Wes

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a thought about prospecting with a metal detector for gold in the Randsburg California area. For those of you who subscribe to the ICMJ there is an article... 'Who says you have to own a claim to find gold?" in the current April 2012 issue.

I will add a little more to the article:

According to Nolan (Ore Deposits of the Western States) Lndgren Volume 1933... It is written on pg. 630... According to Hulin (1925) the Randsburg and Stringer Districts are considered to be Miocene Epithermal deposits... Also according to Nolan (1933), more than $25,000,000 in both gold and silver epithermal origin were recovered... Keep in mind that back in 1933 gold was valued at about $20.67/ounce and silver was about .25 cents/ounce... For those out metal detecting for gold in this greater area,.. the numerous hard-rock precious metal epithermal deposits that were orignally worked by drywashers (in the Greater Randsburg/ Summit/ El Paso mountains as early as 1894) can still be reworked by moden metal deterctors... Again, Just a thought... js

• 4 months later...

Gosh I'm in awe regarding all of the posts on the thread, I cannot thank Rob enought

toallow this to happen... Thanks Rob!... I understand that some of the readers are from

"google" and "facebook."

I'm now getting e-mails regarding epithermal precious metal ore deposits. I have been

metal detecting them for associated placers since about 1980, back when the first

VLF's were introduced. With some success... but I cannot say as being first is essentual.

Here is a link. I hope I post it correctly. It is a good read, but since it was published much

more is known regarding epithermal ore deposits.

http://www.icmj2.com/01Jan/01/JanFeature.htm

I have been involved with epitherrmal placers since I was a "wide-eyed" kid setting

at the family- dinner table listening to my late grandmother Viettie reminece regarding

the early days of Clifford, Ellendale, Tonopah and Manhattan; as she was there at their

beginnings.Thanks for your interest in this thread, and again, Thank You Rob!

Gosh I posed the above link correctly... but some of it was deleted.. It will not go.

Try this, but it is the long haed way: Google this

"Metal Detecting within the Cordillera for Gold Placers Associated with Tertiary Epithermal Ore Deposits"

You may need to look around the lsit for it but it is there. If you are interested in detecting epithermal placer

deposits, they are still being overlooked. Not much has been published about them.

• 2 years later...

Howdy everyone.... this is an old thread that that was pinned by Rob years ago when I posted on his

forum as "dutch john".... I just bumped it to see where it would go... jim

• 5 weeks later...

:) :)bump

Hey Jim,

Thanks for keeping this alive, I have several of your books and enjoy them greatly. You have posted several mentions of Iron Canyon in the past... I was up that way a couple of weeks ago and it is sure interesting country.... I think I saw some seams of coal, it read somewhere there is coal there... I would't know if I stepped on a tertiary epithermal placer deposit. I did find lots of lead and brass up there and I was up some pretty steep draws... The Gold Bug 2 sure finds tiny bits of metal! Some parts of the El Pasos are loaded with hot rocks, but the area I was in had very few.... I did find a couple of small nugs on a rise north of Randsburg.... Lots of lead, brass and ferrous junk out there.... The General Store is still serving up good chow... Hope you are doing well and thanks again for sharing your education and experience with all of us.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff thanks for the update on the General Store. For a time it was struggling to just stay open. If you have not

been to the museum please go.. Mr. Parker is the curator and he has a disk he has made regarding the history

of Randsburg. I had one but loaned it out but it is filled with information regarding Randsburg... Thanks for

the information as it also bumped this tread. You are most welcome to post lol tailgate jim (PS: Do you happen

to have a copy of my book 'three hours to gold' as it is full of information regarding the history of Randsburg

and could be helpful in your search for eluvial placers in the Randsburg triangle... let me know jimstraig@earthlink.net

Jeff... I failed to add n my last post that Rob carries single copies of my books... I have not been

able to go to the Randsburg area since December 2009 so I gave you my email address in the

hopes that you will be my 'eyes' and I will try to give you tips regarding nugget-hunting in the area.

... tailgate jim

:) :) :)Howdy everyone... This sub-forum is not about me, so post away with good stuff and hopefully

all the others who may visit here will add to it... Also, I hope paradiceau (jeff) continues to add

more information and answers questions and just generally all of are being informal and no angry

verbose please!.... as we all must remember it is Rob that is paying the bill that makes this forum

go... EVERYONE is welcome but please do not push any special non-prospecting and mining

interests that are controversial as there are other forums out there in the hinderland to post them.

• 4 weeks later...

:)bump