New Coiltek Goldstalker Coil Testing

Earlier this week Rob, gave me a call and asked if I minded in testing the New Coiltek Coil on some of our patches. Of course I agreed and it quickly arrived, I like the design and the rugged lightweight feel of it. I own a couple of Coiltek Coils and of course it's other competitors coil's are in my arsenol. This coil will be passed among the local area detectorist for their testing and review. From the information I recieved there will be no pictures of the coil, only of the gold with your testing remarks. Northern California testing remarks should be attached to this topic for easy of reviewing all comments. Good luck and happy hunting!

Luckylundy

First day in the field with the New Coiltek was a tough test for this new coil. This patch is one of our dink patches and at one end has tons of electrical interference. The weight of the coil is great and it's design handled the 3" tall grass with no-problem. What the coil couldn't handle was the electrical interference even at a distance from the source. NuggetSlayer, found a nice nugget (12x15 Commander) and showed me. I tossed it into a hole at about 6" deep and it sounded real nice and out of the hole it was easy to pinpoint your target(s). I tried every configuration but could not get this coil to settle down enough to hear the dink nuggets that are common in this patch. I swung the Coiltek for over 1 hour and passed it to NuggetSlayer to test. I did pull two dinks out with my 12x15 Commander. Tomorrow, I'll give it another test at a very low interference patch. Jeff, will post his review later,

LuckyLundy

My first impression of the coil was, it was built very well and was easy on the eyes. I love the way that Coiltek has their coil wire coming straight up from the lower shaft connection, there isn't a big loop strung half way across the coil. After running Commander series coils, boy was this coil light. I could run the test coil all day long and not show any signs of fatigue. The coil is very light, but it could handle the grass and tall weeds with ease. Crashing through the grass, rocks, and weeds, I didn't get many false signals. I set the coil up with some pretty hot settings. I was running my GPX4000 in Deep,Sensitive,Fixed,and Mono on the front panel. On the back I was running it in Extra, Gain 11-14, and very slow. I was catching EMI that was causing a bit of noise. I dug a good amount of targets while using the coil, and I have to admit that pinpointing with this coil is easy. Each time the target was right on the front end of the coil. I was using a test nugget that was .3dwt in weight. The air test caught my attention. It was giving me a signal about 6" to 8" above the nugget laying on top of the ground. When I buried the test nugget in the dirt I was getting close to 6", which is good on that small of a target. I wanted something similar to compare the coil to, so I strapped on a Coiltek 14" Elliptical Mono. The 14"E ran a lot smoother than the new test coil did in Extra settings. I was very suprised at the difference in the two coils. I don't own the 14" Goldstalker or have ever had one on my GPX4000. The Goldstalker gave me that instant confidence, where the test coil didn't.

Pros: Weight, Strength, Design, Depth, and not to many false signals.

Cons: EMI interference.

Tomorrow the test continues at another location with some different settings. I want to see what this coil will do in the Sensitive Smooth settings.

To be continued

Today's test of the Coiltek coil, was a little better with very low interference in the area. The coil handled the taller grass pretty good, yet I could not maintain a smooth threshold. We had and older Coiltek coil that worked very well and at the settings I like. This new coil ran fairly smooth in lower settings, yet not smooth enough to hear dink nuggets which are abundant in this patch. NuggetSlayer will post his remarks soon.

LuckyLundy

• Admin

Hey Lucky and Co.,

Thanks for the honest reports. This is exactly what we are looking for on the new coil. If you would, please try different settings and different detectors if you would. I know I'm have going results with this coil on the GPX-4500, but I don't have any older detectors at this time to test it with (SD or GP units).

Hope to see some gold posted soon.

Rob Allison

Yesterday I ran the coil in Extra and I couldn't get it to smooth out, but there was a lot of EMI present. Today Rick and I went out to a different patch to see what it could do. The threshold was much better, but not where it should have been. I moved some settings around and tried it in smooth on the GPX4000. The coil ran much better, and I was able to get a little better threshold. We got a signal in the middle of the patch that sounded pretty good. I swung the coil over the target and it really sounded off nice. I I dug down about six more inches and out popped a nice 1.9dwt nugget. Good news is, that it will find gold if you get the coil over a piece.

I can't figure out why the treshold won't stay as steady as others in Extra with motion on very slow. If someone hunts in Sensitive smooth then the coil is a lot more quiet. I hope this helps Rob. Rick can put it on his GP Extreme now that he has it back and we are willing to try any of the different settings you can recommend us too. Here is a picture of the gold we found today. The largest nugget in the middle is the one found with the new Coiltek Goldstalker coil.

• Admin

Hello Nuggetslayer,

Good to hear you found one nice nugget with the new coil. Here are some finds we recently turned up with the new Goldstalker coil. All of them were found using the new coil and a Minelab GPX-4500. Some of the nuggets could have been found with a coil similar in size, such as the popular 14-inch elliptical, but several of the larger ones were deep and just a whisper.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Today's test of the new Goldstalker was with my Wife's GP Extreme. As many of you may know, I just received this back from Minelab's Service Department with a fresh tuneup! At the dink patch with the GP Extreme and the new Coiltek on the business end, it ran very good. A smooth threshold just what I like, in order to hear them dinks at depth. I tested it with a small .2 dwt dink to make sure the machine was working, it was. Today wasn't my day, but I felt confident and if I had a little moretime to swing the coil, could have scored a nuglet or two! I'm passing the test coil off to a well know detectorist across town. He'll give his reports too! Happy hunting and until our next hunt.

LuckyLundy

Come on guys, let's get realistic on this "evaluation".

A coil is just an antennae. The coil doesn't quite down EMFI, it's the detector electronics that does that. On the other hand, if coil A has more EMFI than coil B, then coil A is probably more sensitive than Coil B.

And if you are going to evaluate them, then they need to be used in some kind of "Apples to Apples" test. Or test it on known targets, one coil against a known coil.

Ahh, just a pet peeve, like detector evaluations and tests in the magazines.

Gary

Dear GaryO, I didn't want to say anything being I am the distributor, but that is precisely why they are having EMI with the new Gold Stalker coil. It is HYPER SENSITIVE and yet it is very stable in terms of falsing. Fiddling around with the settings should settle the EMI down. But once you use a favorite coil and you have your machine set up for it, I am always reluctant to start putzing around with my settings. It's sort of the, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That is one of the issues we always seem to run into. Australia doesn't have all the EMI interference we do and so they get a detector or a coil that is running smooth as velvet over there and then they bring it over here and it goes wonkers.

Doc

Believe me, the area that was mentioned has a full barrage of EMI.......At least it wasn't one of those Joe Blow used my new coil in an old beat up patch and found six nuggets totaling 5 ounces. It was real good detectorist using a new coil in a very difficult(EMI and changing mineralization) area that has gold to be found..... almost any coil will work where mineralization and EMI are just about non existent. I think Coiltek should be thought of well for passing this coil around to people that have never really been factory sponsored testers and encouraging honest opinions!

All INMHO

That was my point Doc, I was pretty certain it was just more sensitive.

I'd get more useful info if the testers would describe the settings they are using, and which coils didn't give the EMFI.

Gary

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Without a doubt, the Goldstalker coils are very sensitive. To be honest, I don't even use anything smaller than the Goldstalker 14-inch elliptical anymore. I can find nuggets just as small as I could with the Minelab 8-inch round or Joey on my GPX-4500.

The GPX-4500 is a different animal when it comes to sensitivity. On prior detectors to get max sensitivity to small 1-2 grain nuggets you would have to resort to smaller mono coils. With the GPX-4500 I can find just as small with larger coils using different settings.

As far as this new Goldstalker coil that is being tested, it's running excellent on the GPX-4500's. I don't have any prior detectors anymore, so not sure what it's doing on them. I would think it would run just as good as I have yet to hear a complaint about the new Goldstalker Mono's.

Don, I will let Doc post about the coil size and such. I think it will be a hot seller though due to a prior Coiltek coil that was similar (hint ... hint).

On another note, if have plans on getting a Goldstalker soon, you better order it right away. We are getting huge orders of coils to be shipped overseas right now. I would hate to see local customers waiting for coils like the whole GPX-4500 fiasco.

Take care,

Rob Allison

I might be wrong here, but when your detecting you want your machine as quiet as possible? If you have EMI making the threshold wobbling and not smooth then is counteracting the sensivity. I'm not a pro by no means, but I'm out in the field and I'm finding gold every week. Weekend hobbiest are 95% of the market that purchase these coils. How many of them can tweak their machine to make anything quiet on the end of their Minelab? I think if your going to have weekend warriors buying these coils, then they should be able to use them with ease. I wasn't bashing or saying it was a bad coil, I said I couldn't get it to calm down and get a steady threshold on any setting I tried. The only time people don't complain about a test on a coil is when they are said to be better!

Gary0 & Doc

Don't think for one minute, Jeff & I don't know how to get the most out of our GPX-4000. More sensitive coil? It just might be, but what I couldn't do was maintain a smooth threshold in order to hear a sensitive target in 4 different patches loaded with dink nuggets.

LuckyLundy

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Without a doubt, a stable metal detector is important. However, you have to also understand running a very quiet detector sometimes means trade-offs. I know for a fact on the GPX-4000 if you're running Quiet Audio along with Sensitive/Smooth you're missing larger nuggets at depth. I've done enough testing and hated that fact, but loved the quietness of the detector in those settings.

Speaking of EMI, some places here in Arizona are funny. You can have a quiet detector one day and return the next and have tons of EMI that you can't tune out. I'm not sure what does this, but with all the EMI you're probably going to miss dinks that are down a few inches and larger nuggets at depth.

I prefer to run a quiet detector knowing I might me be missing a few here and there, rather than listening to all the chatter in the background that drives me nuts!

Regardless of the coil, some great information has been posted here. The coil will have it's place as I've done very well with it.

Hope to get more good information posted.

Rob Allison

Hey guys,

I am a little late in my post because of work obligations this weekend. I have been testing the new coil and have only got about 8 hours on it and will send it back to Rob on Tuesday after a hunt tomorrow.

I am running it on a 4500 and have had no problems whatsoever. I have not maxxed out the gain, but I have used it whilst running in my favorite settings. The gain is at 6, enhanced mode, very slow in the motion setting. Running a lower gain may be the difference from the other testers. I will look up the rest of the settings out in the field tomorrow and post them. I find these setting to kick ass in the area that I hunt. I come home with gold and this new coil has kept up that tradition.

My short time testing of this coil has been a pleasure. It has run very quiet, even though I am detecting under a flight path and very near radio towers. I have found that it gives a nice sweet signal on the good targets, and I found targets shallow and deep. Pinpointing was easy. I have got some gold nuggets with it also and they are pictured below.

Although I can't judge a coil in only 8 hours of use, I would like to use this coil more. It is very sensitive, yet I find that it gets good depth. I had no problems with it falsing when I bump it on a rock. I look forward to spending the day using it tomorrow.

Cheers and good luck hunting,

Matt

post-694-126741863495_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hey Lucky, Jeff and Matt,

Thanks for testing the coil and giving your honest opinion about it. I think I need to get it over to some more guys that have other detectors besides the GPX-4500's. The new coil seem to run very stable on GPX-4500's, so I need some other non-4500's users to test it and report back.

Wishing you all the best.

Rob Allison

Hey Rob I have been watchin and waiting for a test result using this coil on a Sd. I was hoping Luckylundy had a friend with one to give it a test. I like their test results, no bs. the coil may need some changes or it may be better suited for SD's wont know until its got some hours on an SD. I'll tell ya I would luv to take it out but my sd's are modded and would not be a conclusive test. From what Ive read so far I suspect its a hyper mono coil wind design. If it is a Hyper mono they are the most sensitive overall in depth on big gold and small but also tend to be more sensitive to EMI and super Hot Ground. It may also turn out to be a good coil once all the best settings are figured out for the GP's and GPX's and that can take some time.. AzNuggetBob

• Admin

Hello AzNuggetBob,

The coil runs excellent on the GPX-4500. I have another test coil that a friend is using now in Goldbasin and doing well in some old patches. He hasn't found any huge, but 1-2 Dwt's a few inches deeper. I personally used the coil I shipped to Lucky and Co. here on my GPX-4500 and it ran great.

I will the coil over to you once it's returned from Matt. I don't anyone has used the SD2100 or SD2200 on this coil yet, so it will be interesting to hear how it will run on those units.

Yes, I appreciate all honest reports. No reason to "Sugar Coat" any field reports.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I have plans to let AZNuggetBob and some others test the coil before they are released. Right now I have a friend at Stanton, AZ testing another one I have. He is using the GPX-4500 and found about a dozen smaller nuggets with it. He really seems to like the coil on the GPX.

Would like to get some more test results from SD and GP users.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

I am heading out tomorrow around 5 Houston time. I will get into Rich Hill either late Saturday night or early Sunday morning. Depending on how many stops I make on the way.

See you soon.

Karl

Hey Guys,

I have plans to let AZNuggetBob and some others test the coil before they are released. Right now I have a friend at Stanton, AZ testing another one I have. He is using the GPX-4500 and found about a dozen smaller nuggets with it. He really seems to like the coil on the GPX.

Would like to get some more test results from SD and GP users.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison