Anyone have experience with a Ground Penitrating Radar Detector?

• Admin

Hello All,

Personally I've never had any experience with a good GPR metal detector, but was curious if any of you have? I wanting to find out if a GPR can detect or show where there might be openings or tunnels underground? The depth to these tunnels can be anywhere from 5 to 20 foot in depth.

Interested in hearing any information that might pertain to something that might locate these openings or tunnels.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Allison

Rob, there is a manufacturing business in Gold Hill,OR that manufactures GPR equipment. I know they make a screen that you drag across the ground which detects gold hidden beneath the ground - don't know all the particulars but this may be just the thing you are looking for. Some years back it was a White's metal detector shop but am not sure of the name now. If you could make contact with them I am sure they would be more than happy to assist.

Hope this helps, Nugget Man

Hello All,

Personally I've never had any experience with a good GPR metal detector, but was curious if any of you have? I wanting to find out if a GPR can detect or show where there might be openings or tunnels underground? The depth to these tunnels can be anywhere from 5 to 20 foot in depth.

Interested in hearing any information that might pertain to something that might locate these openings or tunnels.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Allison

Rob

What I've read they can do just what you want.There was one used down town at the Alamo ( San Antonio ) it was box type that you pulled along the ground and it would give a print out on your Laptop of what it seen.I've seen the cost but don't remember and like everything else it's gone up I'm sure.The only thing about this one is the ground would have to be smooth to get a good reading.

Now if you just needed a two box metal detector I'll loan you one for as long as you need.

Best to you on finding the ans.and what you want.

Chuck Anders

Hi Rob, I'm familiar with Accurate Locators. It is a great product. If you want to see it work, we can head up to Vegas for a day. I am sure it will do what you want. Like Ridge Runner said, flat ground, ie bulldozer required. The model we were looking at to do the job is $25K, but it will give you answers.

Jer

Robb, check this one.

http://lrlman.com/Pages/Arc-Geo/Arc-geo.htm

A friend of mine researched this subject for 6 months last year and finally settled on this one. Now, he wasn't looking for tunnels or voids. He wanted this to find deep nuggets. He demonstrated it to me in my office and frankly I was sceptical. But, he was sure it would work if he could just get it over some gold.

So, last spring I took him out to some old patches I knew to see if there was anything deeper than I could detect. Turns out there wasn't...BUT... the machine WAS able to detect and clearly show 2 deep nuggets that I had planted for the test. He didn't know exactly where I had buried them but the screen showed them very clearly and he was able to narrow down the location to within 3 sq. ft. It was then a matter of clearing off some dirt and detecting. The difference in the readings between the nuggets and the ground "noise" was clear.

And this is something that takes some practice to learn. Mineralization and iron targets can be identified more times than not.

Anyway, this may or may not work for what you want to do, but it's worth researching a bit more and it's a lot cheaper than most out there.

Digger Bob