Its pretty well known,minelab will be coming out soon, with the 5000 if they call it that, what would be the things everyone would like to see on that detector, that would be an improvement over the 4500?

#1 to me would be wireless headphones, with the pocket rocket and the tecnology already here, it would be a completly no wire detector.

#2 How about a self contaianed battery, you could just plug the detector in to charge it. {Maybe somewhere down the road}

#3 How about push buttons,the tactil type like on cash registers, instead of all the knobs.

Feel free to jump in with anything else. Minelab does pay attention to user feed back, I suggested a lite back screen when they came out with the 4000, and they put one on the 4500. So they do listen. Grubstake PS I'm sure the 5000 is out there right now, somewhere being tested

• Admin

Hello Grubstake,

Well there is no doubt sometime in the future we will see a new PI, but I don't think it will be anytime soon. There are still nearly 400 GPX-4500's on backorder here in the US. I have a handful of customers searching for them, many of them are now pre-paying to make sure they get one ASAP. I just found out I will have another batch of them here next week if everything works out well. Many dealers won't be seeing anymore until the beginning to mid September.

I just had three more customers calling about them today. I believe a couple of them will end up purchasing my package deal.

As for the next unit, it would be nice to see a lightweight battery system and get away from the backpack/harness type setup.

Yes, Minelab does listen and they watch this forum for suggestions.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hey Grubstake

I'd say your right on a 5000 out there somewhere but as long there is high interest in the 4500 you won't see the other.Now you let sales drop off on the 4500 and over night there is the 5000.When Minelab drop the price on the 4500 back when I said here comes a new detector after the 4500 went on sale but that was not the case.

The new GPX will have a key pad like you said because it now has gone all digital being the 4500 wasn't far from being that but the knob's made it only part.

Just maybe the price will drop lower.This just something else to think about but I hope they don't forget the digging arm I wanted on it.

Chuck Anders

Chuck, I think a key pad type buttons would make it alot better, knobs get bumped, and settings get changed, almost everyone is going to key pad buttons now, and the 5000 should be totally digital in my book anyway, like was going around, with all the other detectors being made. Minelab is still the best out there at this time, I figure just before Christmas, a new one will come out. I also would like to see a CD that would let you pre program to your own pre-set settings, with a cord that would plug into the smart piont and have a USB connection on the other end. Wireless headphones would be a no-brainer, Whites has already done it, it could be Bluetooth enabled, so you could pick from any over the counter headphone that was bluetooth. Just my thoughts. I live the Blackwidows, but man there hot in the summer, and I don't care for the speaker system, because most times, I don't want to be seen or heard. They{the speaker are ok in the desert, but up here, I'd rather not have a bunch of people know what and where I am. Thats why I where Cammo's every time I detect. Steath is my way. Grubstake

No Slim, I'm talking about like they already have on the other detctors, like the 705 and the other VLF's several manufactures already use them with out problems, including Minelab, I bet the GPX5000 will have a D after the number for digital ie. GPX5000D Grubstake The E-trac use's them also

Hey Grubstake

It would be great to have minelab with a self contained battery. far as a touch pad i don't know about that one we will have to see .I would much rather see some great improvement in the discrimination or in the depth department.

good luck

Lon

Battery technology is getting better all the time, so a self contained unit is not out of the question. I just put together some 4 hr battery packs using Li-Ion Poly cells. They are awesome, weigh just a few ounces and have a much greater power density/weight ratio. They are rated at 7.4 volts, but mine came off the charger at 8.4 volts. After 2 hours use, still at 8 volts. Expected to get about 500 cycles out of them.

If they could just figure out some form of coil shielding to block some of the EMI, that would be the ticket.

Hi Grubstake

Use my 4000 totaly wireless, no wires conected to my body.

Use the pocket rocket and a gitar transmitter and wireless headset.

The gitar transmitter is from, T-Bone gt-ews, its UHF 863-865 mhz

The headset is a sennheiser HDR 100 But you can allway's find another one that will match.

The signal is direct , not like bluetooth.

Together with the pocket rocket its featherlight, i find it lighter than the E-TRAC, even with the

16 inch nuggetfinder mono.

Kind regarts from Holland

Gerrit

3839603007_a5221102da_o.jpg

Hi Grubstake

Use my 4000 totaly wireless, no wires conected to my body.

Use the pocket rocket and a gitar transmitter and wireless headset.

The gitar transmitter is from, T-Bone gt-ews, its UHF 863-865 mhz

The headset is a sennheiser HDR 100 But you can allway's find another one that will match.

The signal is direct , not like bluetooth.

Together with the pocket rocket its featherlight, i find it lighter than the E-TRAC, even with the

16 inch nuggetfinder mono.

Gerrit

Hi Gerrit

Can you use the same setup on a SD2200? Is your battery strapped to the unit?

Thanks

Sheri

• Admin

Hey Sheri,

Yes, you can use that same setup on any Minelab PI. The battery system is called the "Coiltek Pocket Rocket, Li-Ion Battery System." It's the lightest and most portable battery system available for the SD/GP or GPX series.

I always have them in stock and they run $326.00 for the entire kit with short cord. I don't carry the Blue Tooth headphones, but I'm sure others will tell you where to locate them.

P.S. This system will also give you better stability, better sensitivity and depth on your SD2200 in the 7.3 volt mode.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Hi Sheri/Rob

Yes it is strapped to the unit, there is a metall klip on the pocket rocket you can easely put over the edge from your detector

and use a srap to hold it on place.

The pocket rocket system is a must have thing

Grubstake,

I tryed bluetooth before but for me it did't work because off a to slow respons in transmision.

Gerrit

Morning All: A long time ago I decided the heavy Minelab battery wasn't for me so I optesd for a Li Ion battery and love it. I also have twin external speakers ala Montan Bob Dansie and love em too. If I want to use headpones all I have to do is unplug the external speakers and plug in the head set. I'll keep my 4500 set-up as it is and not spring for a new unit until I wear it out (if ever)!

Don

Sheri,

I swing the GPX 4000 too. I purchased my Pocket Rocket from Rob and it is a must have item. It's super light weight and holds a great charge. Not that the GPX battery is heavy, but during the summer months the shoulder harness is a sweat factory. I hunt with the Pocket Rocket System 90% of the time...get one!

LuckyLundy

• 2 years later...

001.jpgcharger002.jpg

Hi Everyone

Here is the system I have made for my 4500. It uses a 5000mah Lipo battery from A RC car. Runs the 4500 for about 5 hours. Have two. Use one for a spare. I use a Amp of my own design so no more power supply hum. Everything weight about 10 ozs. Charger runs off 12v or 110v. Taks about 3 hours to charge.

Can be set up to run a SD or GP with a voltage controler in the amp box.

Only one wire to the headset.

Ken