Western Pennsylvania gold?

Hey guys. total newbie to the forum. I've talked to Rob a couple of times and am set on getting an exterra 705 real soon. I live in Western Pa along the Ohio line. I've been checking out a creek running through woods behind by house and have found very nice black sand and a small piece of quartz with a little gold on it. I've got a keene sluice and have made a nice self contained water recirculator with it. Am I just not in the right area to find quality gold? Would detecting help? I've got a GPAA chapter just about 10 miles away and they claim to have found gold on their property. I've just gotten started prospecting, but really don't want to waste time around my area if no real gold can be had. All comments welcome, you've got a great site guys, thanks!

Scott

There are some parts of Ohio with real fine sized glacial gold. Its pretty sparse and very vew pieces are large enough for a metal detector (even a VLF) to see. I'd say you are just not in a good part of the country for nuget detecting. Probably the best chance to find gold is in the form of jewelry at a park or school.

If you haven't seen it already this GPAA. Gold In Western PA! Lots of good info there and GPAA would probably be a good to join to see what's really up with prospecting in your area. There are 6 GPAA Chapters in PA so they must be finding something, the wives wouldn't let them old boys out of the house if they was just drinking beer and swapping lies.

Cen1,there probably is a Dept. of mines /or natural resources for Penn..check out that and any large university or public library...they would have reports and books on gold,also your local county historical society.Seems unlikely you find the only piece of quartz gold in the area :rolleyes: ..where's the rest of it? Is it glacial gold?........Dave

Hi cen1-

Another newbie here... A quick search at Google Books found this out-of-copyright text regarding gold in your area. Found in US Geological Survey Bulletin #59, dated 1889.

You can probably find more at http://books.google.com/advanced_book_search by trying various keywaod searches "Pennsylvania" and "Gold".

http://books.google.com/advanced_book_search

------------------

Found in the US Geological Survey Bulletin #59, dated 1889.

GOLD NEAR THE GLACIAL MARGIN.

A few words should be said respecting the frequent discovery of gold

near the glacial margin, since it is so often the cause of serious delusion.

The whole region covered by my special investigations and lying west of

the Blue Ridge in Pennsylvania, is covered with stratified deposits of the

Upper Silurian, Devonian, and Carboniferous ages. So little disturbed

are they that it would be hopeless to look for gold in them. The natural

explanation, then, of finding gold any where in this region would be that

it was a part of the glacial transportation from the granitic region to

the north. I soon learned from experience that tho gold diggings were

sure to be located near the glacial margin, where it might be supposed

that the till had been most weathered and washed, and which had,

presumably, been skimmed from the disintegrated surface of the northern

rocks on the first advance of the glacier over them. In this border

gold has been found frequently in quantities to repay a moderate expenditure

in washing the gravel, but never in large quantities. I found

such deposits in Brown County, Indiana (and indeed in all the southeastern

counties of Indiana), in Brown, Clermont, Licking, and Knox Counties,

Ohio, and in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania In all cases them

deposits are within the glacial boundary, and are near the glaciated

margin.

Hi cen1-

Another newbie here... A quick search at Google Books found this out-of-copyright text regarding gold in your area. Found in US Geological Survey Bulletin #59, dated 1889.

You can probably find more at http://books.google.com/advanced_book_search by trying various keywaod searches "Pennsylvania" and "Gold".

http://books.google.com/advanced_book_search

------------------

Found in the US Geological Survey Bulletin #59, dated 1889.

GOLD NEAR THE GLACIAL MARGIN.

A few words should be said respecting the frequent discovery of gold

near the glacial margin, since it is so often the cause of serious delusion.

The whole region covered by my special investigations and lying west of

the Blue Ridge in Pennsylvania, is covered with stratified deposits of the

Upper Silurian, Devonian, and Carboniferous ages. So little disturbed

are they that it would be hopeless to look for gold in them. The natural

explanation, then, of finding gold any where in this region would be that

it was a part of the glacial transportation from the granitic region to

the north. I soon learned from experience that tho gold diggings were

sure to be located near the glacial margin, where it might be supposed

that the till had been most weathered and washed, and which had,

presumably, been skimmed from the disintegrated surface of the northern

rocks on the first advance of the glacier over them. In this border

gold has been found frequently in quantities to repay a moderate expenditure

in washing the gravel, but never in large quantities. I found

such deposits in Brown County, Indiana (and indeed in all the southeastern

counties of Indiana), in Brown, Clermont, Licking, and Knox Counties,

Ohio, and in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania In all cases them

deposits are within the glacial boundary, and are near the glaciated

margin.

Thanks so much IAN, I will check this out. Dave, I'm not sure if it's glacial gold, how can I tell.

Scott

Scott,Is the quartz/and or the gold somewhat rough/Check with a loop....don't really know about glacial gold except what I've learned on the alaska gold forum,and a little I've read about.Seems most of the gold,if any would be very small and smooth from the glacial scouring over a long period of time.Can you post a photo of the quartz gold,or have someone do it for you......as I mentioned before get the mining/mineral reports from that county and state........Dave

Scott,Is the quartz/and or the gold somewhat rough/Check with a loop....don't really know about glacial gold except what I've learned on the alaska gold forum,and a little I've read about.Seems most of the gold,if any would be very small and smooth from the glacial scouring over a long period of time.Can you post a photo of the quartz gold,or have someone do it for you......as I mentioned before get the mining/mineral reports from that county and state........Dave

Dave, it's very rough, with a few very small smooth surfaces, I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Scott

• 2 years later...

Hey guys. total newbie to the forum. I've talked to Rob a couple of times and am set on getting an exterra 705 real soon. I live in Western Pa along the Ohio line. I've been checking out a creek running through woods behind by house and have found very nice black sand and a small piece of quartz with a little gold on it. I've got a keene sluice and have made a nice self contained water recirculator with it. Am I just not in the right area to find quality gold? Would detecting help? I've got a GPAA chapter just about 10 miles away and they claim to have found gold on their property. I've just gotten started prospecting, but really don't want to waste time around my area if no real gold can be had. All comments welcome, you've got a great site guys, thanks!

Scott

Cen1,

as a GPAA member and resident of western PA, I can in fact verify that the NW corner of PA has glacial gold deposits in the streams. The gold found in areas of Greenville (Mercer County) tend to be very fine glacial drift gold. Origin of the material is high in the canadian shield and was pushed down into the "Hogbacks" of the region during glacial periods.

I found a few colors when i was first at the GPAA property in Greenville this past summer. It takes some work and a good spot to get, but it is there. HAving done some homework and personal surveying of the area, I have found several other streams in that area that produce as well. I found that streams that cut down to the light gray clay produce the best results. Look for low lying areas right after a sharp curve in the streams where the brown to gray border show. Also of note for the area are the many garnets that can be found in streams as well as very abundant fossils in the sedimentary rocks.

Most gold found is of the very fine variety with lots of weathering. Tiny little balls of rolled gold are what i find. Nothing that a detector will pick up. Sluicing in a good area will give the best results. Please be aware of local laws concerning prospecting in PA waterways prior to breaking out big gear!

Best of Luck!

Rockhound Steve

• 9 years later...