Greaterville 50-50

Has anyone else noticed that there are claims being filed on 50-50 land in Greaterville? Just since last week there are three posted claims on 50-50. All new signs posted all over. I thought no one could claim 50-50. It looks like half of Sucker and Kentucky are now under new claim. John B, do you know anything about this, I know that is some of your stomping grounds. AL. C

• Admin

Hey Al,

It's my understanding that the minerals are not open to claiming and that is how it has been for a long time. It could be someone new not knowing about the status and placed some claims out there. Let us know if you find anything out about it since you're down there often.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

I don't know if this has any bearing to the info but you used to not be able to file claim on top of private property either and now BLM is taking the money and giving AMC #'s for claims over someones private property as long as mineral rights are theirs. No idea why but it is causing a bunch of law suits, one of which I am involved in now.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

John B. responded to this same thread on another forum. Here is what he had to say -

Hi Al and Rich

Over the years there have been many bogus claims filed on the 50/50 ground in GV The weeks law land ( 50/50 ) is a very unusual land status. Most that try to claim it just check for claim status and not ownership status throw up monuments and pay money or sometimes try to pay money then find out they can't claim it. I once sat on a hillside in Lousiana and watched some guys putting up monuments and when they came to run me off I broke the news to them !! It got a little heated but I told them to call the sheriff and we'll see if you get a ticket for littering with those stupid poles !! It happens quite a bit. I wonder whats going on with the last private 50% mineral rights last heard it was in probate ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Take care,

Rob Allison