Nugget Finder vs Coiltek

Hello everyone....

I'm looking to you all for your expertise regarding coils, my current GPX-4500 coils are the stock one and a Platypus.

I'm about to purchase two mining claims here in BC, they're in an area called the Bridge River, it's a feeder to the Fraser River and has an excellent history in gold production, here's a link: http://www.cayoosh.net/bralorne.html.

I bought the Platy to use near the water however most of my claim is on a HUUUUGE as in HUUUUMUNGOUS area of wall/hillside that is gold bearing glacial quartz.... what do you all recommend for a good overall large size coil (mono, cus I watched Jonathan Porter's vids and paid attention..grin) that would be good for use on the dry areas, not so much rocky that I need small for sniping. Here are some photos of the ground type:

Rather than filling up this message with big pictures, I've put them on my web server, go to this URL and click the file names:

http://www.jenniferbond.com/docs/detecting...Claim%20photos/

Here's an example of the ground, this is a water-cannoned area near it called the Horseshoe.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3317/330066...3aedd31.jpg?v=0

http://www.photoscanada.com/gallery/bridge...o_goldridge_059

http://www.photoscanada.com/gallery/bridge...to_goldridge_05

Any and all recommendations are appreciated. I was leaning towards a Coiltek or Nugget Finder but which one for this type of ground, does not have to be waterproof and I reckon this ground is not to high in mineralization.

After watching more of JP's vids he seems to like using the 16" Nugget Finder... I did some research and one posting that I read said that they were overpriced for what they offer but they appear to be a nice coil for the large area that I'm looking at covering. The claims I'm buying have some nice glacial streams in them that feed the Bridge River that I can use my Platypus for but there's lots of dry high bank type ground that the 16" would be good for. The total area of the claims I'm purchasing is approx. 737,872.8 square meters.

Has anyone here compared something like the 16" Nugget Finder mono to a larger Coiltek mono (like the UFO or WOT etc)? What were your thoughts?

Thanks again folks... I'm looking forward to posting a "Look what I found" message at some point and all your help to this newbie is GREATLY appreciated.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer

I had good luck with a 17 inch Elliptical Wallaby mono on my GP 3500 but the big talk now is on the Goldstalker coils by Coiltek.I know Rob has had good luck with the Goldstalker but like everything it all comes down to how much money you want to spend.The Wallaby could detect a one gram nugget without any trouble.I don't know anything about the Nuggetfinder coils but I'm sure some people on here do.

Best of Luck!

Chuck Anders

Jennifer. On hillsides and uneven terrain , your concerns would be more toward the weight and maneuverability of the coil than anything else. The main reason that people like the Nuggetfinder and new Goldstalker coils is the light weight compared to the Minelab Commander coils and gladly pay the extra bucks for this weight advantage. You may find that a 16" or 18" round coil is just too heavy to swing up on banks and steep slopes. Whichever brand you choose , the 14" to 17" eliptycals would be my choice for what you are trying to do. The wallaby is heavier for its size than the newer superlight coils from nuggetfinder and coiltek.----Bob

I have similar terrain in Washington State just below you. I owned the 16" and 18" Round Nugget Finders and sold them.

The terrain is too rough to swing those large coils and on hillsides they pick up a lot of EMI.

In Australia I see JP swinging those large coils but his ground is flat and level from what I see in the videos.

Now, I stick with 14" Round coils or less. Right now my most used coil is the 14" Elliptical Goldstalker mono coil.

Best Regards,

Don

Hello everyone....

I'm looking to you all for your expertise regarding coils, my current GPX-4500 coils are the stock one and a Platypus.

Jennifer

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the information and feedback. Due to the area being so full of scrub and brush, the solid top Platypus probably will be better, the big Nugget Finders are probably better for flat land like Don mentioned.

Jennifer

Match the coil to the terrain, depth and size of gold. The brands are very close in performance and quality and it really come down to personal preference.

As for hillside hunting a "swing arm" can really help keep the coil parallel to the ground. Of course I always recommend a HipStick to support the detector weight. Both can be purchased from Rob's or Doc.

That said here's my list of must have sizes 9x5 mono and DD, 8" mono 11' mono and DD, 14" mono elip and round, 16" round mono.

Given your location I'd start with a GS mono then a coil for sniping.

Good luck and don't forget a gold pan!

nvchris

• Admin

Hey Jennifer,

I don't like to get into the game of what coil is better. They all make great coils, Minelab, Coiltek and Nuggetfinder. I've always been a big fan of Coiltek since day one. I was established as one of the first US dealers under Doc. Coiltek in my opinion is the best since they back their products 110%. If you have a defect or warranty issue, Coiltek and Doc will take care of you. Coiltek was the first aftermarket searchcoil manufacture and have much more experience and knowledge when it comes to searchcoil design.

The new lightweight Goldstalker searchcoils are amazing. They are very lightweight, robust and don't false like other coils when you bump them.

They have five sizes in the Goldstalker Mono's, the 6-inch round, 14 & 18.5-inch ellipticals and the 16 & 18-inch rounds.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

That said here's my list of must have sizes 9x5 mono and DD, 8" mono 11' mono and DD, 14" mono elip and round, 16" round mono.

nvchris

Thanks Chris, that's great advice to build my collection of coils on. I have the stock DD and a 11.5" x 8.5" mono Platypus. I'm defeniteley planning on getting the hipstick and also considering a fiberglass shaft... half the fun is buying the accessories. :)

Hey Jennifer,

I don't like to get into the game of what coil is better. They all make great coils, Minelab, Coiltek and Nuggetfinder. I've always been a big fan of Coiltek since day one. I was established as one of the first US dealers under Doc. Coiltek in my opinion is the best since they back their products 110%. If you have a defect or warranty issue, Coiltek and Doc will take care of you. Coiltek was the first aftermarket searchcoil manufacture and have much more experience and knowledge when it comes to searchcoil design.

The new lightweight Goldstalker searchcoils are amazing. They are very lightweight, robust and don't false like other coils when you bump them.

They have five sizes in the Goldstalker Mono's, the 6-inch round, 14 & 18.5-inch ellipticals and the 16 & 18-inch rounds.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Thanks Rob, I've heard good things about their customer support, that's true. After talking with Doc during another order, I got the impression his customer service was top notch as well.

By the way, I just last night watched Chris's DVD that had both of you sitting chatting.. it was nice to put a face to the name.

Jen

Hi Jennifer

I had good luck with a 17 inch Elliptical Wallaby mono on my GP 3500 but the big talk now is on the Goldstalker coils by Coiltek.I know Rob has had good luck with the Goldstalker but like everything it all comes down to how much money you want to spend.The Wallaby could detect a one gram nugget without any trouble.I don't know anything about the Nuggetfinder coils but I'm sure some people on here do.

Best of Luck!

Chuck Anders

Thanks for the feedback Ridge Runner....

Jen

• Admin

Hey Jennifer,

Coiltek, Doc and I all have the same type of customer service. We all believe in 110% customer satisfaction and spent time with the customers on the phone, in person and in the field.

The DVD is a good one. I really enjoyed doing it and have plans to do another sometime in the future if things work out.

All those products you're talking about including the Hipstick we have (Doc or I).

Great to have you on the forums.

Rob Allison

Hey Jennifer,

Coiltek, Doc and I all have the same type of customer service. We all believe in 110% customer satisfaction and spent time with the customers on the phone, in person and in the field.

The DVD is a good one. I really enjoyed doing it and have plans to do another sometime in the future if things work out.

All those products you're talking about including the Hipstick we have (Doc or I).

Great to have you on the forums.

Rob Allison

Thanks Rob... Thank you for the warm welcome, I'm looking forward to learning lots and interacting with you all. I use to live in Phoenix (and Fountain Hills), in fact I just renewed my AZ CCW, so maybe I'll see you on the gold fields down there one day.

I've already purchased a set of JP's DVD's from Doc and a GPX and Platypus from Steve up in Bear Country (jealous re your Moore Creek trip) so I reckon your next... I'll have to spread out the love. :D

I'll go look around on your site/catalog... I'm feeling the itch...

Jennifer (shop-a-holic) Bond.

• Admin

Hey Jennifer,

Thanks for the reply back. Keep in mind, my website is very outdated .. :spank: , so if there is something you're searching for I probably have it. Just shoot me over a PM, email me or call when you're ready.

On another note, Moore Creek is awesome! You should really try to make a trip up there if you can. I'm not sure how much longer Steve will have Moore Creek running, but I'm going to miss the place this year. I have a bunch of other projects going, so I don't have enough time to make Moore Creek again this year. I have well over a pound of gold nugget/specimens from Moore Creek from the last three visits.

JP's videos are great and I highly recommend them to anyone. They pretty much cover all the Minelab's from the GP3000 up to the new GPX-4500.

The Platypus is a great waterproof coil. The first time I used it in water up in the Bradshaw's I found a nice 12+ Dwter down about 6 inches in the water. I guess it paid for that coil the first time I used it in water.

Happy Easter to you all!

Rob Allison

Sent you a PM, Jennifer. There's a few considerations considering your location and the current range of coils available.

All the best at your new location.

Cheers!

Thanks guys... and thanks Nero... I saw your very detailed response and will reply tomorrow as it's late here in BC. I sent you a message on MLOTV a while back about your vid, not sure if you ever got it. I also lived in Sydney and spent time in the Blueies... loved your vids.

I'll reply to your email tomorrow, I'm just finishing a show on Big Red's..... I sure miss Australia.... :( I think I'm going to head down again in May to hit the Golden Triangle.

Thanks again guys.

Jen (by the way, you have good taste, us Canadians make great wives eh?) ;)