Coil comparrison question

Hello everyone:

I just upgraded from my trusty GP Extreme to a new GPX 4000, and I hope I made a good decision. I never had one bit of trouble with my Extreme, and I found some nice nuggets with it. But, with the price reduction on the 4000 and the opportunity to get out and hunt with Rob in AZ was to much for me to pass up. I hope to pick the new 4000 up from Rob at the end of this week sometime and get his training later this month. I have purchased from Rob before, and have always been happy with his service, and I am looking forward to getting out in the field with him.

Let me say I do not want to start a word war as to what brand of coil is best.I have 3 Nuggetfinder coils (the 16inch round mono and the 14 and 9 inch mono ellipiticals), a 11 inch Minelab Comander coil, and a new Coiltek UFO that I pretty much got for free 9I just had to buy the rod from Rob). I know I will get the standard 11 DD coil with the new Minelab, so, my question is this: If any of you have used both Coiltek and Nuggetfinder (and Minelab for that matter) coils in the same or similar size, how would you think of them as far as performance? I know that all makes are good, but having never used a Coiltek (or an Minelab coil for that matter) on my Extreme, I am curious if they are really about the same in their ability to find gold, assuming the same user and being used on the same model Minelab, and the user has a decent amount of experience. I am not sure I need another coil, but a small 6 inch coil sounds attractive for certain situations, although my 9 inch elliptical could most likely fill the need. Anyway, opinions from hunters that have used both Coiltek and Nuggetfinder (and Minelab too) would be appreciated. If I purchase another coil, I would like to feel that I have the best information on which to base my decision. Finally, one last question. Based on my coils, if you were to select a coil to always start your hunt in AZ with, which would it be? Thanks.

Well it all comes down to how you detect and where, My uncle has a 2200sd and has a NF 14 E DD, they don't make them anymore, in fact when it comes to new coils, seems everyone has gone Mono, in most places for the 4000 and 4500 no problem, but in my area if you have a 3500 or below they struggle with Mono's coils, I have many Coiltek coils, all DD and love them my favorite being the Platypus DD, made on Mono also, waterproof and is the most used coil I have, followed by the WallabyDD that gets great depth and sens. on small or big gold. My uncle wished they would put the 14 E dd NF back in production. But I think DD's are going by the wayside, even though they still make the 2200v2 theres just no way up where I live you can run a mono on a 2200 or gp xtreme or even a 3500 really struggles with mono's. Now the 4000 is a different ball game, it will just sing along with mono's. But remember every coil has its own appilcation and place. Even in AZ, where they say the ground is so bad{there opinio} my 2200 can run a mono no problem. Not so here. Coils are like a personal choise. Choose the ones that suit your hunting ground and the way you hunt. Coilteks are the best to me, my uncle likes his NF 14 E DD. Grubstake

• Admin

Hey Darryl,

When it really comes down to it, it's all about preference. Coiltek, Minelab and Nuggetfinder all make great coils for different applications. Each manufacture have different shapes and configurations. I have used them all and found gold with all of them.

Coiltek was the first aftermarket searchcoil manufacture, so I've always stuck with them. I believe they make the most reliable searchcoils when it comes down to reliability, warranty issues, quality and customer support. I think I made a great choice sticking with Coiltek from day one. My distributor, Doc, is top notch! He both believe in taking care of the customers when their is a problem along with answering or giving suggestions about Coiltek products.

I can't say enough about the new Coiltek Goldstalker line of coils. Trev at Coiltek has really worked to fixed the "falsing" that most searchcoils encounter eventually. They are also super lightweight and get great depth and sensitivity on all of the Minelab PI's.

I've heard rumors that Coiltek has put such a damper on other Searchcoil manufactures that they have already tried to reverse engineer what Trev has done with the new Coiltek Goldstalker's. Just goes to show who is the real backbone when it comes to building searchcoils. Coiltek has never chased anyone else, they have always tried to beat Coiltek!

I can't tell anyone what to purchase, just the fact you can't go wrong with Coiltek.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Rob,

Thanks for the reply. As you know, I have never used anything but my Nuggetfinders, since that is what I started with. So, from your perspective, and knowing that most of the hunting I do will be in the type of AZ terrain you hunt in as well, if you were going to start a Coiltek collection, what one coil would you buy to get it started? I got started with Nuggetfinder coils with your cousin. The coils have been good to me, I have no complaints about them other than they look like they were made (at least the original versions) in someones garage on a low budget and the older ones could not keep a coil cover on to save your soul. Looking forward to your answer. Thanks.

:):):)

Hello Nuggetshooter,,,

It is -36below zero here, now. Your ? on coils. I have a 22002v and bought a Goldstalker 14"mono Ellipitical coil for it. Awsum coil. Never seen anything like it. Most of my ground here has no noise. Sum ground here I get a small chirp at the end of the sweep. Still not a problem with me. This coil finds targets so small its hard to see and find them in your hand. This Coil also finds them very shallow and depth. 1-8" deep on small stuff sometimes deeper. Larger targets been down too 2-3 feet. Awsum. In the Goldstalker line, I have the 14" now, soon I will buy probaly the 16" Mono Round, And the 6" mono round, Wish they would have a 8" mono round. I would get that instead of the 6" mono round. After owning these 3 Coils. Thats all I need, for me. I put that 14" Coil on that is just about all I use now. If you buy it, you will be very impressed with it.

Its very, very, very, sensitive coil...Bob777...Hope this helped.

• Admin

Hello Darryl,

Like Bob stated, the 14-inch elliptical is a sleeper coil. However, sounds like you already have a NF 14-inch, so not sure you want another coil the same size. You might consider the 18.5-inch Elliptical Mono, which is also very sensitive to small gold.

I just don't know if you want to duplicate the same sized coils NF & New Coiltek ones.

Let me know,

Rob Allison