My first Meterorite!

Went out to Gold Basin today and finally found one...was beginning to wonder if I ever would. Being my first I'm rather confident it is a meteorite. Heavy for its size, slightly magnetic, appears to have whats is left of a fusion crust...just under half a pound. Found it with a Minelab GP 3500 with 14in coiltek mono in tracking and deep/sensitive around 8 inches deep. It had a hi-low broad sound on the detector!

post-21178-1231652250_thumb.jpg

post-21178-1231652287_thumb.jpg

post-21178-1231653548_thumb.jpg

That's a BINGO for sure. Found enough of them myself. That's a nice specimen, and you are right it does still have a little bit of fusion crust left.

Gold Basin has been pounded hard, you are lucky to have found one that size.

Doc

That's a BINGO for sure. Found enough of them myself. That's a nice specimen, and you are right it does still have a little bit of fusion crust left.

Gold Basin has been pounded hard, you are lucky to have found one that size.

Doc

Thanks Doc...I needed some confirmation...big time! Guido

• Admin

Hey Guido,

Congrats on a very nice Meteorite Find! :P

I've also spent a lot of time searching for them at Gold Basin and the bigger ones are much more scarce. Anything over a 100+ Grams is a great find today out there due to the amount of metal detector activity.

Thanks for sharing your find. Hope you find many more in the future.

Rob Allison

Guido,

Great job. I have found a good number of them out at Gold Basin. They are all over, so keep looking. Keep a strong magnet, a file, and a magnifying glass with you so you can inspect any rock you are uncertain about. I am still waiting for my first Franconia meteorite. I hope that on my next trip I will be lucky. I know there is one out there with my name on it, I just have to find it! Congratulations.