How cool is this?

• 3 weeks later...

And to improve the temperature drop, one could use a solar cell to power a dc fan and blow air across the unit to drop the temp even further. Also build a small fan into the inner container that is power by a solar cell and circulate the air inside to insure an even distribution of the cold throughout the storage container.

Just goes to show you though that as previously mentioned, it doesn't take a lot of complicated design or research to come up with a very practicle solution.

• 6 months later...

Flak. I might build one of those just for fun. We used the same principle in Australia to cool a can of soda. Put the soda in a sock and set it in a shallow pan of water . The water wicks up the sock and evaporation does the cooling. It worked great and was welcome after a day out detecting. We tried 12 volt car fridges but they used a lot of power and you ran a real risk of being out there with a dead battery. ----Bob

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Looks like a small swamp cooler to me. Would not wrapping a wet rag around a can of soda do the same thing??? Or hosing yourself off with a water hose?? I just don't see where she made any technical break through!! Then again maybe I am missing something.

This is just a modernized version of something that I have found on the web a long time go. Basically You get 2 clay pots that will fit together with sand between them. Then Just use water to keep the sand damp and let it sit. the evaporating water will reduce the temp of the inside pot..