Suggestion to "DigDeep" per Question

• Admin

Hello DigDeep,

I seen where you asked a questions about knocking down your sensitivity on the Minelab PI's when you're around larger targets. The best suggestion to you is to use your "Cancel" mode, which will knock out a good 50% of your sensitivity and depth. This will allow you to easily pinpoint big targets down deep. When you switch over to "Cancel" you have to be pretty close to the target before it will sound off. Depending on the target size, you might have to get within 2-3 inches.

Keep in mind, the "Cancel" mode is only availabe on the GP and GPX metal detectors, not the SD's.

Give this tip a try and you're going to love it for large targets, gold or iron! ;)

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hello DigDeep,

I seen where you asked a questions about knocking down your sensitivity on the Minelab PI's when you're around larger targets. The best suggestion to you is to use your "Cancel" mode, which will knock out a good 50% of your sensitivity and depth. This will allow you to easily pinpoint big targets down deep. When you switch over to "Cancel" you have to be pretty close to the target before it will sound off. Depending on the target size, you might have to get within 2-3 inches.

Keep in mind, the "Cancel" mode is only availabe on the GP and GPX metal detectors, not the SD's.

Give this tip a try and you're going to love it for large targets, gold or iron! ;)

Take care,

Rob Allison

Thanks rob. Here is what I wrote on the other forum.

"I tried that but couldn't get it low enough. In one situation I had last week the nugget (fairly big) was way deep under a rock that was about 4' in diameter wedged in a tight valley at the top of a waterfall and the nugget was way deep in there, had to reach about as deep as I could underneath with the detector. It pinched down pretty tight back and wasn't much room. The detector was squakin' loud if I came within a foot of the nugget. I ended up having to dig out the whole thing out to get the nugget. I ended up with a bunch of knots and scratches on my head but it was worth it.

Anyhow it was a weird situation but it would have been nice if I could have cranked it down so I could pinpoint it a little better."

DigDeep

There is another way, tape a largish metal object to the coil. This will cut way down on the sensitivity but allow you to still hear the large target that is setting off your machine. Just make sure the metal object is taped securely if there is any movement the coil will SEE it. (I have a demonstration of this in our GPX Factor DVD on the GPX-4000, Rob stocks them).

The other method (if you have a 4000 or 4500) is to revert into Smooth mode, this cuts back on a huge amount of signal response allowing a more precise pinpoint.

Hope this helps,

JP

The best suggestion to you is to use your "Cancel" mode, which will knock out a good 50% of your sensitivity and depth. This will allow you to easily pinpoint big targets down deep. When you switch over to "Cancel" you have to be pretty close to the target before it will sound off.
Will this work with a Mono Coil?

Rich

There is another way, tape a largish metal object to the coil. This will cut way down on the sensitivity but allow you to still hear the large target that is setting off your machine. Just make sure the metal object is taped securely if there is any movement the coil will SEE it. (I have a demonstration of this in our GPX Factor DVD on the GPX-4000, Rob stocks them).

The other method (if you have a 4000 or 4500) is to revert into Smooth mode, this cuts back on a huge amount of signal response allowing a more precise pinpoint.

Hope this helps,

JP

Thanks JP, I will give that a try next time I run into that situation.

DigDeep

Way2cool. It only works with a mono coil. I use the method often but it's usually a horshoe giving me the monster signal. If it's still too strong of a signal drop the gain all the way down to further soften it. You can cut it even more by running the stabilizer down to 1 if you are using a 4500. I wish I had more of that type of problem with gold targets----Bob

Way2cool. It only works with a mono coil. I use the method often but it's usually a horshoe giving me the monster signal. If it's still too strong of a signal drop the gain all the way down to further soften it. You can cut it even more by running the stabilizer down to 1 if you are using a 4500. I wish I had more of that type of problem with gold targets----Bob

Montana, I didn't think to turn down the stabilizer, I will give that a try too. The nugget was in a really weird spot like a little cave in a waterfall (dried up).

No really guys, all kidding aside I have used this digging technique for years, It gets the headphones off your head while your bent over digging, keeps from getting blasted when you get target out of the hole. It has a lot of advantages. Try it. Take care, AzNuggetBob

AZnuggetBob. That does work fine with headphones and I've done it but many folks are using external speakers now.---Bob

I agree with you there Montana. I have not made the switch to an external speaker yet. as you can tell Im a little more old school when it comes to my rig. Im running a modded SD 2100 most of the time and when needed a Minelab 3500 with headphones preamped with an inline amplifier sound mixer. now I could just turn down the volume on my amp down for large targets but I keep it in the battery pouch on my belt so I dont accidentally knock it out of adjustment and its not easy to get to either. Ive seen people out there using many different audio arrangements so Im not sure there is a single generic solution to this large target problem... which is why I use the headphones on the handle method I mentioned before and I hate accidently rediscovering my pick with the audio fully cranked and headphones on. :girl::wacko: The only thing I can think of to add this as far as the new minelabs is detuning like Rob or JP mentioned and bookmarking or saving the detune for later use as a preset so you dont have to remember how the detune was done. Take care AzNuggetBob

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the blast you get from large targets or even smaller targets that come close to the coil when hunting. I recently acquired a set of SunRay ProGold headphones that have the Ehanced Limiter Circuit in them that is suposed to help cut down on or eliminate the blasts one gets form large/close to the coil targets. Does anybody have experience wtih this type of headset? Does the limiter circuit work? I have only used Nugget Buster and Jimmy Sierra headphones prior to these, and neither one of them prevented the unwanted blast form a large target or the blast you get your coil passes very close to a smaller target. Thanks.

I think Digdeep was more concerned with getting a fine pinpoint rather than toning down the the overall loudness of the signal. This requires dulling sensitivity rather than volume. Large targets can be harder to pinpoint than small targets in many cases because you get a strong signal when the coil isn't really anywhere near the target. If you can cut response to the point that there is only a signal when within an inch or two of the edge of the coil, it makes it much easier to pinpoint and in the case he described make it possible to remove a minimum of material.---Bob

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Even for pinpointing, the Cancel mode works great. This is the only method I use when I'm digging a big target down deep. Normally when you get a large target down a couple of feet, the detector will scream when you start to run the coil down in the hole. If you flick over to Cancel, you can run the searchcoil all the way down without any noise and pinpoint exactly where the target it. IF you don't hear anything, then you're not even within 3-4 inches of the large target. Once you start to hear the target in Cancel, then you're within 3-4 inches of recovering it.

Trust me, this method works better than most!

Take care,

Rob Allison

I carry a small Whites Bullseye pinpointer in my Camelback backpack. I use this to pinpoint large targets as well as pinpointing larger nuggets. I dig the larger nuggets out with a screw driver and the pinpointer so's not to leave a pick mark on them. I have accidently left pick scapes on a few large nuggets, but not anymore. :rolleyes: