How does a trommel work?

I've seen pictures of some and my question is about how efficient they are. Am I correct that a trommel is first a classifier of several different screen meshes and the rotation breaks up the clods then a riffle system at the end.

All thew photo's I've seen were not to detailed and just wondering if I was seeing it right. Thanks Wyndham

Technically the trommel is just the cylindrical rotating screen. They normally have only one pass size.

They can have bars on the inside that help break up clods, and also normally have sprayers inside as well.

The material coming out of them goes to a sluice or in some plants a table.

What you described is a whole plant - the trommel is just the screen.

Depending on how they are run, they can be very efficient.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

if you are working a spot that has a lot of clods, the trommel is indispensable. You can get ones that are light enough for 1 or two guys, or ones that you can load with a tractor. What you need is a trash pump, and a agitated sluice box for the fines.

You sort of need to determine average gold size to determine screens for your trommel. many use either 1/2" flat expanded metal, up to 3/4" raised expanded metal. they usually employ a damper on the tail end as a means to catch bigger gold that does not fall through the grids.

wear rubber boots, an apron or slicks. 1 guy can do it, but it works best to have 1 guy tending the trommel while the other is loading it. DON'T FORGET TO BRING THE METAL DETECTOR TO CHECK THE TAILS OR PILES OF BIGGER STUFF FALLING OFF THE END.

There's a guy in Utah that sell plans for one or two. google gold trommel plans

A trommel is basically a rotating screening plant.

It can be built to screen several sorts at one time and discard

the oversize. Or it can be built to screen just one sort.

They can be ran wet or dry depending on what job you want

it to do. It can be as big or as small as you want it,and with all

the bells and whistles or really simple.

They work great for busting clods and classifying for a dry washer

when ran dry. Sure helps dry the dirt too.