Tune Up

Guest Bunk

I have heard some of you folks sending your machines off to Minelab for a check up. Is this something that should be done every so offtin or just when you are having trouble or think you are having trouble? Thanks.

Bunk

Hi Bunk,

There may be two things going on here.

The most obvious ML event at the moment is that all 4500's below

a certain serial number are being recalled for the possibility of faulty somethingorothers (component boards, I think).

If your point is not to that subject, I would be interested in hearing about people

who have good functioning detectors who nevertheless send them for a "checkup".

Is it a good idea?

All the best,

Flak

• Admin

Hey Bunk,

I don't think you need to send a metal detector to Minelab unless there is something wrong with it. However, if you feel you need to send it in for a "Tune Up" I would do it just so you feel better about it.

I popped four nuggets today with my GPX-4500. I doubt I'm going to send it in unless it goes down or gets really wacky! :wacko: My GPX-4500 is working great.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hi Bunk,

There may be two things going on here.

The most obvious ML event at the moment is that all 4500's below

a certain serial number are being recalled for the possibility of faulty somethingorothers (component boards, I think).

If your point is not to that subject, I would be interested in hearing about people

who have good functioning detectors who nevertheless send them for a "checkup".

Is it a good idea?

All the best,

Flak

Flak, Thats what I am talking about. I have a 4000 that is a year old and I don't think there are any problems with it but nugget season is right around the corner here in Az and it looks like I am going to be able to get out MUCH more than I did last year and I want to be prepared.

Bunk

Guys,

Have you ever heard the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Minelab's service department is amazing, and they are more than fair about the prices they charge for the work they do. I have seen detectors that guys ran over with their truck, they fix them, and when they see the repair bill they fall to their knees and thank Minelabs service department for their MORE THAN FAIR customer service.

If you start sending machines in, just for a check up, you are going to flood Minelab, slow them down from getting machines fixed that really are broken, and you will back up the works. Minelab will have to either hire more techsw, or just back repairs way up, and they next thing you know repair and diagnostic prices will go up.

If you are finding lead and small bits of iron, YOUR MACHINE IS WORKING. Gold is not that easy to find. If it were, everyone would be doing it.

If you have a question of whether your machine is working correctly, ask your partner to let you know the next time he gets a really faint signal. Go and check it with your machine. If you are using the same coil size and the same settings, then that is a really quick check. If you are not hearing the target ask if you can plug his coil into your machine and check the target again.

BCOT!

Doc

Hey Bunk,

I don't think you need to send a metal detector to Minelab unless there is something wrong with it. However, if you feel you need to send it in for a "Tune Up" I would do it just so you feel better about it.

I popped four nuggets today with my GPX-4500. I doubt I'm going to send it in unless it goes down or gets really wacky! :wacko: My GPX-4500 is working great.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Thanks Rob. Just for the record, what does it cost to send it in for a checkup?

Bunk

• Admin

Hello Bunk,

For check up under warranty there is no charge. I'm not sure what it would cost "out of warranty." Sometimes Minelab is good about just fixing them if they are not real busy.

P.S. You could always call and talk with Dick Shultz in Repairs to get a better idea before sending it off.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

• 4 months later...
Hello Bunk,

For check up under warranty there is no charge. I'm not sure what it would cost "out of warranty." Sometimes Minelab is good about just fixing them if they are not real busy.

P.S. You could always call and talk with Dick Shultz in Repairs to get a better idea before sending it off.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

I heard the other day that Dick Shultz is no longer with Minelab, I never had the opportunity to talk with him but from all the folks who spoke of him they held him in highest regards, sounds like he was truly an asset to Minelab USA and will be missed by many. I sent my 4000 in and they recieved it this past Wednesday, hope to get an ETA soon! I hope their new management team upholds their reputation because I already miss my detector.

Take care everyone

Tony Teixeira