A dear friend and Prospecting Legend Dies

Some 14 years ago I got interested in prospecting. I made a post on one of the old time forums asking if someone could help me 'cause I didn't know nothin'. Two days later Hoss Blackman showed up at my office offering to take me out to the gold fields and show me how it was done. Hoss wasn't lookin' to sell me anything, he was just lookin' to help someone out who wanted to learn about gold prospecting. Hoss was a brilliant teacher, and I was a sponge. We became very close friends. Hoss said that I paid him back many times over when I negotiated his butt out of a Mexican jail and got his truck and two metal detectors that had been confiscated back, and got them to drop the $16,000 fine they wanted to impose for some trumped up crap charge of smuggling electronics into Mexico. I could tell you how I pulled that one off, but that is a story for another time. This is just the time for a moment of silence and sadness as we mourn the passing of a gold prospecting legend, "Hoss" Blackman. Hoss was many things, but most importantly he was my friend. Until we meet again Hoss! God be with you my friend, as I am sure you are already with God, and telling many a story.

Attached is a picture I took of Hoss during one of our many outtings.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Allen 'Hoss' Blackman

Allen was born in Bridgeport, Conn., in 1932 to Allen Edwards Blackman and Isabella Rogers Moddell. He was a graduate of Stamford High School and later served honorably in the army during the Korean War. He was a resident of Meadview and Dolan Springs for the past 10 years.

Allen worked for Pitney Bowes most of his life, and after retiring in 1989, he actively pursued his many lifelong interests. He was an artist, cowboy poet and accomplished horseman, a working cowboy, gem cutter, treasure hunter and gold prospector, and an Outback guide to the Western Australia gold fields.

Allen was a member of the American Legion, VFW, Amvets and a 50-year member of the Masonic Lodge of Connecticut.

Allen is survived by his son, Bruce Blackman of Cottonwood, Ariz.; daughter, Nancy Fosset of Lynn Creek, Mo.; brother, Edward Blackman of Boston; and four grandchildren. He was quite a character and will be missed dearly by his family and friends.

Though I have not met any of the folks on these forums, I have come to like, enjoy and respect the qualities of kindness and friendship so many here give so openly and freely. It is my loss for not meeting these folks that have passed. But it is also my blessing that I have had the brief encounters here, with these folks from time to time.

We bring nothing in with us when we are born and take nothing when we go, but what we share while we're here is far more valuable than gold.

Sorry for your loss, Wyndham

What a great story DOC . You know a man had character if he's missed by others your luck was to have been one of those people who got to be his friend and vise versa i'm sure, RIP "Hoss"

Doc

It's sad to hear about Hoss.The first I learn of Hoss was when I was at a gold show and my wife got me a tape of him saying I think you will like this.I'd say you were lucky to have him as a friend and truly be miss by alot of people.

Thanks for telling us!

Chuck Anders

Guest sandtrap

My heartfelt sympathy to you Doc, in the loss of your friend. We all lose friends, but cherish the memories of the good, old times. Someday, we will all meet together again, with all problems behind us.. Once again, my prayers go to the loss, of a special person.

DOC... Jim Straight here. As you know Hoss and I shared some great

adventures... He found the pick I lost and gave me quite a "Hurrah"

at the GPAA gold shows by displaying it. When he would come to the

Deusenburg outings (at Randsburg) as a very popular Minelab dealer

we would find time to go out together and do some nugget hunting.

One time even Irwin Lee joined us and we spent a few hours detecting

Benson canyon.

When he made one of the Follows Camp outings selling his videos and

booklets I would join him in his camper in the evening and we would

enjoy good fellowship.... I still have photos of him with a crowd around

him listening to talks.

If Bruce happens to read this thread... " I will always treasure my

memories of adventures with his dad, Hoss.... (And DOC you may be the

only one to understand this: Happiness to HOSS was a good

transmission in his truck!)

DOC... sadly our ranks are thinning... I'm truly saddened by the loss

of your good friend "jackhammer." Back a few years ago Reno Chris,

Grubstake, and I did a lot of "good-fellowship" posting on your first

forum. (And I hope Charlie Semiers is doing well the the "Lobo." He

disappeared after he lost his Susan.)

DOC... sadly our ranks are thinning... I'm truly saddened by the loss

of your good friend "jackhammer." Back a few years ago Reno Chris,

Grubstake, and I did a lot of "good-fellowship" posting on your first

forum. (And I hope Charlie Semiers is doing well the the "Lobo." He

disappeared after he lost his Susan.)

Dear Jim,

I expect any minute for JACKHAMMER aka Scottie Mathieson to jump on here and scream that the reports of his death have been severely exaggerated. Jackhammer lives in Australia, and I just talked to him about 5 days ago, so if he has also crossed over I am really going to be pissed off because the Wally owes me money!

Thanks for your kind words Jim, and I do truly know what you mean when you talk about happiness to Hoss was a good transmission. Now that Hoss is gone I am sure that he wouldn't mind if I told stories on him as story telling was one of his favorite past times.

Well Hoss was married a few times in his life and the last time to a lovely lady named Bobbie. Now Hoss was like any other ol' crotchety propsector cowboy, and he was a man to boot so you know he was hard to get on with. Women just barely tolerate us men after all.

Well Bobbie used to play the lottery. She kept telling Hoss that if she ever won the damn lottery she was leaving his ass as fast as her little car could drive her out of town.

So one day Hoss wakes up, after having a bit too much to drink the night before, and Bobbie is long gone; took everything. Left a letter saying she was headed back to Texas and filing for divorce. Hoss figured the ol' gal just couldn't keep up with the ways of a prospectin' man's lifestyle.

About 4 weeks later Hoss got a legal tax looking document from the State of Arizona addressed to Bobbie. So he opened it. Nothing to worry about really, just the tax forms Bobbie would need to do her year end tax filing with the IRS to show that she had won $100,000 playing the Arizona lottery.

So as is usual, in matters such as these, Hoss got the mobile home trailer, she got the car to pull it, he had the address of the bank where the safety deposit box was at, Bobbie had the keys, Bobbie had the gold mine (winning lottery ticket) and Hoss got the shaft, (a dear John letter.)

God Bless you Hoss!

Doc

• Admin

Hello Doc,

That is very sad to hear. :blush: Hoss Blackman was a great fellow and friend. I knew him for a long time and even done some hunting with him and his Son Bruce.

Hoss is now free of pain and now with the good LORD standing on streets of pure gold.

This is a sad loss for anyone that new Hoss.

Warm regards,

Rob Allison

DOC Ol' Scout... where did I get the wrong information that "jackammer" suddenly

passed away? Dumb ol' me! He and I exchanged "Howdy's" on the rough and

tumble Australian forum many years ago. He answered my question regarding

"ironstones." Very patient and understanding with me. I certainly understand your

friendship with him and why he came all of the way to visit with you a few years ago.

I have (son) Bruce's address as being in Bridgeport AZ... Maybe it would be

okay with Bruce if his current address was posted on this thread... likely some of

us still remember HOSS and would like to send Bruce a card....

In my earlier post I mentioned Irwin Lee. Irwin passed away about a year ago...

I will always fondly remember going to the El Paso mountain area north of

Randsburg with HOSS and Irwin. Irwin knew of a good site between Benson

and Goler. I guess "Woodie" may have given him the location... Nuf' said.

Back then everyone was more willing to share...

Gosh Hammer, you have a keen memory. Over the years I have tried to contact

old "prospecting friends." It seems that they are quickly forgotten and their

knowledge lost in the "sands of time." Many have left a "paper" trail... HOSS is just

one example as he wrote freelance articles; made, and sold very-informative

"single blanket" videos and gave many lectures.

Just a point of information: Using HOSS as an example. Part of watching the

videos; a researcher would learn why HOSS made the video at certain spot...

This is how to seek out and find a long-forgotten and now obscure spot... or

a technique now being overlooked.

Many good spots may now only marked by a dighole, chards of broken glass

ware and maybe an obsolete a 45-70 cartridge casing or rusted metal cans.

This could now be the spot that you will make your best discovery. (If'n

"Montana Bob" sees this thread and posts a response as he will know what

I mean... ).

DOC understood my mentioning that happiness with HOSS was a good

transmission. And for others who are reading this post; some will understand

that for Terry (T-Bone) Bone, happiness was a good set of tires. I could go on

and on about some of the great old-timers that have been old friends.

To sum it all up... Persistance and Determination is the Key to success... to have

a goal and do the best you can to reach it... As an example, if your goal

was to become a "brain surgeon," but you became a well respected (and happy)

x-ray technician instead; you are certainly successful. It has taken me over 60

years (since high school graduation) to get where I now am; a retired industrial

art "shop teacher" who wrote "freelance articles", "moonlighted" as an adult-

education teacher and a underground mining consultant just to make "ends meet."

Now with this said... I will move on.... But I thank all of you who have bought

my booklets (Thank You 'alphabetically" Rob Allison, Chris Gholson and Bill

Southern.) I'm not an arm-chair writer... My back trail is long and winding. It has

taken me over 60 years to get where I am... AND... It has taken ol' friends such

as HOSS for me to reach what I am. Not only did I learn prospecting tips from HOSS,

but he knew a lot about metal-shop and I also learned more about being a better

shop teacher from him... WELL DONE HOSS...

Hoss will definitly be missed.

And Jim - dont worry too much about mistakes - it happens, and I've actually experienced it.

A few months back on another one of the prospecting forums, some guy announced that Chris Ralph, that prospector who wrote for the ICMJ mining Journal, had recently passed away.

Imagine my extreme suprise when I read that!

I never even knew that it had happened! (and I thought I would be among the first to know)

Some of the comments were very kind - I was going to be missed.

Scott Harn even got inquiries and condolances (lots of folks read the forums).

Truth be told, I actually am still very much alive (but it could have been a great dodge to get out of all the honey-do assignments I get around the house).

The mistake was the guy mixed me up with Ron Wendt, who often wrote for ICMJ and did pass away, not too many months before his post.

Still out there and kickin',

Chris Ralph

Hello All,

"Hoss" what a character . I purchased my first Minelab(2200) from Hoss , he came down to Stanton to sell me the unit and took me over to the Devils Nest claim to set it up and give it try , no gold on the first weekend with it but the following weekend I was digging nuggets at Quartzsite with it (Thanks Hoss). He used to sit around at Stanton telling my kids some pretty wild stories and one about how he found this big gold nugget on top of Rich Hill that was to big to carry down so he chewed the edges off of it so it would roll down and then he would open his mouth pulling his lips open more to expose all his Gold teeth and the kids eyes would light right up .

R.I.P. Hoss

Chris... how true... In this fast moving "electronic" age mixups do occur.

Wouldn't it be nice if HOSS was just was out on one of his trips and

suddenly appeared waving handsfull of both meteorites and nuggets.

Everyone: Especially DOC who stared this thread; the more I think

about HOSS, the more I remember. There are dozens of stories about

HOSS that can be told.... As an example Don Barthel was one of

HOSS's early partners. Don would go to Arizona to "beep" with HOSS

and Don wrote an article about their adventures.

Back then the 6.4 kHz FT-16000 was being replaced by the dual

frequency 6.4/32 kHz XT-17000. HOSS was now on a roll with Lady Luck

riding on his shoulder.

It all began about November 1992 with HOSS using a prototype XT-17000.

He went to "pounded" ground in the King Tut area and soon found

about a dozen nuggets in a "worked out" area before he needed to send

the prototype on to another prospector....

However, HOSS received one of the first XT-17000's off the line and

continued "beeping" in the broad Lost and Gold Basin area ( I have

previously mentioned in an earlier post, he found a pick that I had

lost in the King Tut area)... and wow;some of you oldtimers may

remember at several gold shows he gave me friendly 'razzberries' by

hanging the pick on the backwall at his booth with a sign to the effect

that he had found Jim Straight's pick. But I do not believe it is the one

I lost and it may still be out there.

HOSS sold lots of American Gold Strikers (single 32 kHz) and XT-17000

at the gold shows and also at events such as Follows Camp and the

Deusnburg GPAA/LDMA outings. Soon HOSS recovered about a hundred

or more nice nuggets with his larger nuggets being found in the White Hills

area. He was on a roll finding both "patches" and working prior dry wash

areas... Thus HOSS soon became a Legend!... Which he truly deserves!

• 2 months later...

Yea as we get older we lose people around us, I dont know if any of you knew or know of Lucille Bowen but she also passed away this year. Her contribution to prospecting and metal detecting overall was incredible. I went to paradise valley with her in 93 and spent many a times out with her detecting, and she in her 80's could outdo me in a heartbeat in my 40's, not only in endurance but in finds as well. She will be missed

mlgdave

Doc. Not only was Hoss one of the top detectorists of his time, The stories you and others have passed on here about him show that he was indeed a "character". We can remember him for much more than his abilities to find gold and sell metal detectors.----Bob