ProspectingOz

They are referring to a guy that goes by seeker saying about Minelab price cut and a new GPX4500 out this year.I know only one seeker and he's in Alaska.This was on one of the forums in the US but didn't say the name of it.

Maybe somebody can shine some light on this subject.They may be all wrong but it sounds good and it gives us something to talk about.

If White's comes out this year with anything that comes close to what Minelab can do we will see some price cuts.I don't think that they will out do Minelab but if they can just get in the same ball park it will help.When I say help I'm talking about us the customer that buy these thing that we can't do without. If they do cut the price we'll just buy two so to have a backup.

Chuck Anders

I don't know what that is all about either, I don't hang out on any Aussie forums anymore, haven't for quite a while and I don't think any of us know anymore then the silly season rumors that are, and have been rampant at times....So other then being a$$ deep in snow and taking care of my mate, thats the best I can come up with..Hope someone posts up some gold finds soon we all are having withdrawls :) ....Good Hunting Geo

• Admin

Hello Chuck,

I seriously doubt we will see any big Minelab, such as a GPX-4500 this year. The GPX-4000's are hard to keep in stock. Talked with my cousin a few day ago and he also stated the GPx-4000's are selling very well. I just sold (4) more this week and have 5-6 inquiries that I need to get back with. The price of gold has really gotten people excited ... much more interested in metal detecting than before.

Speaking of other metal detectors, I'm hoping a good USA manufactured PI will come out. However, don't put much faith in anything coming close to a GPX at this time. I've watched the forums since the Internet began and seen all the hype and rumors about these great metal detectors coming out. I've yet to see something outperform the Minelab PI's in the last 10-years.

What happened to the great "Titan" that Ken Roberts promised us all last year? The last I heard Finder's went under along with the Titan.

This metal detector might have been a great detector, but the point is, it never got off the bench! Just another way a manufacture can try to scare Minelab. As you can see, Minelab was so confident they are superior they raised the prices to prove it!

Rob Allison

Rob

I don't look for a big change in price that Minelab would make and that will be only of sales drop off.

I can wish and like I told my kid's when they were young that was spit in one hand,wish in the other and see what hand gets full the fastest.

If nothing else it gives us all something to talk about.For alot of us that don't live in gold country and also the ones that are snow bound that do,all we can do is talk.

May be we could start a contest between Grubstake and Seeker on who can make the biggest snow ball.I'll put my money on Seeker being He'll see more snow than Grub ever will.

I think I've been inside to long myself! Best to all!

Chuck Anders

Jeez Seeker,

See what you started!!!! Boy, can you influence people.

I think what was referred to was your statement over on Bill S's forum on the discussion about the 3500 and the 4000 where you mentioned something to the effect if they were not in a hurry they may want to wait until March to see what is new.

I suspect people think you have an inside track to ML. Now, compound this with the rumors over in OZ about a new ML and bingo, people are beginning to suspect a new detector is in the works. Who knows, maybe there is and you do have an inside track.

Now, JW,

I don't expect the new Whites PI to be a ML killer, but if they have their act together, then I would expect it to keep up with the 4000 on the more typical smaller gold we find here in the US.

Reg

Dang I keep hearing about the Ides of March, looks like First Texas has trumped everyone tho, by coming out with a couple of nifty little units for the hobbiest.....Don't have a crystal ball here but am developing a severe case of Arctic Hysteria...Geo

The GPX-4000's are hard to keep in stock. Talked with my cousin a few day ago and he also stated the GPx-4000's are selling very well. I just sold (4) more this week and have 5-6 inquiries that I need to get back with. The price of gold has really gotten people excited ... much more interested in metal detecting than before.

ROB- Are you gonna be at the Phoenix GPAA show? - I will be there this year, running the ICMJ booth.

I was at the Costa Mesa GPAA show a couple weekends ago and a guy came up to me who 5 minutes before had just purchased 2 GPX4000 dectectors (must have a lot more money than I do). He knew not thing one about prospecting - absolutely not a thing. I dont think he could have told a gold nugget from a brass door knob. He wanted my recomendations on getting started - I told him to go join a prospecting club. No question the price of gold is sitrring up interest, and I think it will continue to do so.

At that show, I did talk with someone who should know, and while he certainly would not admit to any time frames, he did admit the GPX4500 is under development. My feeling after that conversation is that it would not suprise me one bit if it came out before the end of this year - thats just my personal opinion. He also knew a few things about the coming Whites unit and confirmed it will be in the same box setup as the MXT / DFX detectors. Even if the new whites does not have quite the same depth as the GP detectors, if it has reliable discrimination comparable to current VLF units, it will have a strong market niche that it will own, as the discrimination on the current Minelab PI detectors is essentially worthless.

Chris.

A 4500 sooner rather than later, well, well, Minelab just can't sit still can they!! :D Great to see they keep going, I can imagine the next GPX, but I really wonder what they will do for their next turf machine, the latest extension of the Explorer series is a bit tired in some ways...

The R&D department there must be a buzz all the time, sound like my kind of place...

Reg, I can dream can't I? :D:P Or hope real hard... :rolleyes::lol:

Could happen but I too doubt it, my pocketbook likes the idea a lot more than the fact that I have the GPX already, and i'm pretty happy with it so i'm not planning on getting the new White's or a new GPX, unless I hit that retirement nugget...

So for my own personal joy I hope it isn't a GPX killer... But I hope for White's is comes close... I have seen it go deep with the 8" ML mono coil...

From what I have seen and heard, from the machine itself, it has some things that really turn me off towards it but the TID is pretty slick and as Chris stated, the ID on the GPX is really weak and goes unused on hunts...

JW

What would impress me about a new Whites PI is if the unit was stuffed into the new Beach Hunter ID series UW box, I would own one in a heartbeat, to replace my trusty Surf PI Pro, other then that, I have not yet been able to really use my GPX to its full potential, what an awesome detector, and not being able to hunt year round has somewhat curtailed my education, but I did get an insight to its power as I worked one hillside placer area, as I changed coils and saw the gold come out of the ground in progressively smaller pieces, that was exciting................. :) ...Good Hunting Geo

I was at the Costa Mesa GPAA show a couple weekends ago and a guy came up to me who 5 minutes before had just purchased 2 GPX4000 dectectors (must have a lot more money than I do). He knew not thing one about prospecting - absolutely not a thing. I dont think he could have told a gold nugget from a brass door knob. .........

Chris.

Which makes me think that there may be some great deals on used GPX 4000 detectors in the future after these guys give up .

Chris

Good talking with you at the Costa Mesa show

Ken

Hi Guys,

I do know something about the White's unit - more than I can talk about. I can tell you a couple things. First, this unit is not being conceived of by White's as a "Minelab killer". Any talk of such is off base. Nor will it have VLF type discrimination. It will discriminate, but in its own unique way. I think it will prove to be a popular and useful machine in its own right. If there is any intent at all with the unit, it is simply to fill an unoccupied niche in the current White's lineup.

Right now White's has two very popular machines used for finding gold. The GMT and the MXT. Both are useful and are units that differ in what they excel at. The GMT is killer on tiny gold, but as a dedicated prospecting unit is good for little else. The MXT gives up some small gold sensitivity in return for being a more useful all around detector, and yet still a very popular prospecting machine.

But what if you get into an area with bad mineralization or hot rocks that the GMT or MXT as VLF units have a hard time handling? The new PI unit will provide that alternative for people looking at White's detectors. People will not be trading their GPX-4000 in for this unit. They really are apples and oranges. But people who own a GPX-4000 may well be interested in getting one for reasons that will be evident when it finally hits the market.

I'll sum it up this way. I have a GPX-4000. It does things the new White's will not. And I'll be getting the new White's unit as soon as I can because it will have features the GPX does not have. And with that I'd better just shut up before I get into hot water!

I've never been brand name loyal at all. I've owned all the major brands over the years. But as of late I more and more seem to be gravitating to just Minelab and White's units. Right now I have a GPX-4000, SD 2200v2, and X-Terra 70 on the Minelab side, and GMT, DFX, and Surf PI on the White's side. Of the two White's is way overdue for something new, and for once we will be seeing something unique rather than an old model with a new switch added. A lot of people will be interested in it just for that reason.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve

I thank you for what you can tell us.I'm like you I love them all and not married to any.Just to let everybody know I'm talking about metal detectors.

I'm in hopes it will be out by March being GPAA is going to have a gold and treasure in Belton Texas that'a north of Austin off 35North.

Of what you did say it sound's good and I too don't think that Minelab will have to close up shop because of it.If and when you can tell us more please do.

Chuck Anders

Hi all,

Minelab indeed do have a new detector being developed. Release timing will depend heavily on what sort of competition they have this year. If Dave Emery's unit or the Whites PI falls flat, the release will be very late in the year. If good, Minelab will no doubt re-jig what they have to compete, and then release it.

Prospecting in Oz forum has a poll regarding the Whites PI....no doubt many people will be dissappointed by Steve's comments. My personal view is that if it does as well as the Goldscan 5b in hot ground and competes (at least) with the GPX4000 in regards to small gold, it will sell well. The iron ID at depth will make it a winner as well.

I see that a ML 8" mono was used in one of the tests....if this remains a feature to use all ML compatible coils (as the GS5b does), then this is a huge bonus!!!! Can anyone confirm this? I work for the Whites importer here in Australia and we know absolutely nothing! The worst ground conditions in the world would make it the ideal (and logical) place for testing....we know and see zip from Whites. Strange! Cheers, Dwt

The way I see it, is the only thing I would like to see on a new Minelab is a back light for the screen, I have a very hard time seeing it, in daylight, I don't detect with my glasses on, Bi_focals. And a blue back lit screen would sure help. Grubstake

• Admin

Hello Pennyweight,

I have to disagree with you on this one. I could be wrong, but I believe sales are skyrocking right now for Minelab and they have no worries. I find it hard to believe a new big Minelab will be introduced since the GPX-4000 sales are great. However, Minelab may want to capitalize on this modern day gold rush and push something out .... Only time will tell.

I've heard from a few reliable sources that if you're trying to compare the new White's to a big Minelab you're going to be disappointed.

I think the White's PI will be more of an entry level type PI like the SD, or very similar to the Garrett Infinium. This is what I'm gathering. There is a market for a PI in the range of $1,500 since Minelab increased their SD2100 to $2,000.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

Rob

If you are right about the new White's PI and what level they will come in with it then they may need to stay home.We have crawl with Minelab SD and now we are walking tall with Minelab GPX4000.My thinking is White's need to come in with something better than what the SD'S have to offer.

The technology is already out there for them so it's not as if they starting out cold turkey. Now for alot of people the price that White's put on their PI as you said a entry level detector may hurt Minelab in the pocket book on the low end machine.

I myself is wanting more from White's than a entry level detector.I just don't know why White's sit on their backside so long. I've have used White's from 1966 a coin detector and had never used another brand of coin machine until this year.I'd like to see American made be on top but I bow to Minelab because it is the top of the line gold detector.

Well until White's puts it out we'll be making a WAG (Wild Ass Guess ) on what it will have and what it won't have.

Chuck Anders

• Admin

Hello Chuck,

I'm with you, sure would love to support an American company. In my opinion, one of the major reason Minelab is superior is their huge R&D when it comes to Military mine detectors. Minelab has really big Military contracts that generate a lot of money to research.

Anxiously waiting for the American PI. ;)

Rob Allison

Hi Guys,

Again, I believe thinking that a White's unit will not sell if it cannot "beat" the GPX-4000 just misses the mark entirely.

I sell way more White's MXT units than GPX-4000 units. And more gold is probably found in Alaska with MXTs than GPXs. Despite the fact that an MXT is "not as good as a Minelab". Tell that to my buddy Bernie, who found his second nugget that weighs over a pound this summer with his MXT!

I still sell lots of Tesoro Lobos. I sell a pile of GMTs. Quite a few Gold Bug 2s. Heck, even a Garrett Stinger now and then. And of course the Minelabs. People find gold with all of them.

The point being the GPX is just one machine of many. A new White's unit will just be another, and it will find its own market.

People would be surprised if they knew how little the manufacturers compete with each other. When Minelab comes out with the GPX-4500 (or whatever) who do you think they will be competing with? Themselves! When the new White's comes out, it is most likely a guy looking at a GMT or MXT that might buy it instead. I've always been amazed at how loyal people are to brand names.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve

I guess you could say I was loyal to White's. Like I said I started out with White's and at the time to my thinking White's had the best made detector on the market. I hunted with others with different detectors and I could go behind them and find coins.

Over time thing's have change with newer technology and people are demanding more from a company than a detector just sounding off to something next to the coil.

One company that I don't understand is Garrett in they put out a PI detector that you like alot in hearing you talk about it.Yet what have they done to make it better? I must say for Minelab from day one they working to make their next detector better than the last.

Time has change and I have also being that I'm loyal to the best detector on the market. I say to all the detector companys is if you want my money stop sitting on your hands and make your product better than the last.

Thank's again Steve for what you can say about the new White's PI.

Chuck Anders

Hi Chuck,

Oh, I totally agree with you. I just buy what works. Believe it or not, however, lots of people just will not spend $4000 for a metal detector. Most people are not that serious. Me, I'd spend a lot more than that if it did what I wanted. I'd give $10,000 for a PI that had 100% accurate iron discrimination.

I do not like the Infinium a lot. But I'm willing to see it for what it is, a detector that does fine at what it does, especially considering what it costs. Garrett actually has tweaked it over the original model, and just went to a better coil cable and lower rod in recent units. But you are talking the same company that makes the Garrett Stinger, which is 10 years overdue for an update. Prospecting is a tiny niche market, and Garrett pays little attention to it. The Infinium is more popular with the beach hunters and has a very good reputation as a salt water unit. Mine paid for itself many times over. But it is doubtful Garrett will do much to improve the unit beyond what it already is

I do tend to root for the underdog, and so many people were ripping the Infinium when it came out for not being better than a Minelab costing three times as much that I did rise to its defense. Some have taken that to mean that I think the unit is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is not. The Infinium is a moderate performance ground balancing PI whose main virtue is the fact it is submersible and at the same time is the lowest priced ground balancing PI on the market.

It goes like this. A guy comes in my store, says he wants to hunt nuggets in the Petersville area north of Anchorage. I expalin to him that the area is rife with graphitic slate, that VLF units read as a solid gold signal. So you need a ground balancing PI unit. I tell him the Minelabs are the best, and a GPX-4000 is four grand. He tells me he is not looking to speand that much. We cycle down the options of SD 2200v2 and then SD 2100v2, but two grand is still too much. It is only then the Infinium gets brought up, and a unit that will not be as good as a Minelab, but still will ignore those hot rocks, and be a better option than a VLF unit. For half the price of the cheapest Minelab.

You can of course get a used Minelab SD for close to the price of a new Infinium, and some people go that way. But they are a minority, as most people want new, and factory warranty. And if used is an option, you can get used Infiniums for $600-$700 also.

It is all just different options for different folks on different budgets. If you are good, you can find gold with any of them. If the detector speands all its time in a closet, then having the best will make little difference.

I personally think Minelab has a huge technology lead in that they are into the seventh generation of the SD/GP units. I also think Bruce Candy is a certified genius, and that Minelab holds key patents based on his work. Nobody else is even suggesting units using MPS (Multi Period Sensing) or DVT (Dual Voltage Technology). Those are not just acronyms. They are key to how the Minelabs work. We all sure would like White's to come out with a second generation product (the Goldscan 5 being the first generation) that would blow the GPX-4000 out of the water, but I think that is unrealistic. I simply want White's to come out with a unit, and I hope it succeeds so that White's also will work on new generations of the product going forward. You can just put me down as a PI cheerleader no matter the brand as I think it is the future of metal detecting.

Steve Herschbach

• Admin

Hello Steve,

Everyone has their own opinions, but believe yours are realistic. Many customers can't afford a big Minelab, but then again some can and will purchase one. I've been getting a lot of calls from customers stating they just want the best and they will pay whatever to get that detector. :huh: Well the "best" is hard to ID, but for the most part they are looking for better mineral immunity (less frustration with hot rocks and ground noise) and better depth (pushing deeper than VLF's). This would put them into the PI, or Pulse Induction range.

Now, personally for me, I want the best! I'm not interested personally in a $2,000 PI that can't do what my GPX-4000 can now. It would just sit in the truck collection dust. I will compare everything, performance wise against the GPX-4000 for now. If the new White's or some other manufacture can't punch down like a Minelab, find small gold like a GPX and have similar user controls, I'm flat out not interested!

For someone just getting started or someone not able to purchase a $4,500 unit, I completely understand a lesser PI will be best for them.

Many years ago I thought maybe it would be best to have a good VLF, an SD and a GP series metal detector. I actually found less gold with all the units since I spent more time trying to justify having three units vs. just good PI. I ended up selling all of them and stuck with just the Minelab GP series.

Hard to believe an American Manufacture hasn't came out with something, but I believe Minelab is light years ahead and it's also a small market to capture from another Manufacture.

Just some more of my thoughts,

Rob Allison

If you want small Gold just get an old SD2000, up the clock frequency, increase the filter gain and it will out detect a 4000 with ease. I found that the GS5B would find Gold the ML machines missed if the ground was extremely hot. ML only developed the smooth mode in order to compete with the quietness of the GS5B.

I am also hearing good things about the Whites machine, should be a very serious competitor to ML, especially in Australia.