"WALCO PICKS SHOVES IT UP DOC'S ARSE!!"

• Admin

WALCO Picks shoves it up Doc's arse

Posted by: DOC

Date: September 12, 2007 11:37AM Moderator

After some 7 years of promoting and advertising WALCO picks from Australia, and single handedly making them a household world here among the United States Prospecting community, I got the following email last night. (By the way I currently have 400 picks on order from them, that I obviously will not be receiving.) I have marketed these picks through my dealers nationally I have always tried to keep the prices reasonable. The W3 pick, the most popular, has always been sold for $49.95. Despite the devaluation of the dollar over the years and increased shipping costs, I have never raised the price. My goal has always been to supply the best products to America's prospectors, at reasonable prices. Unfortunately, as you can see, I will no longer be able to supply you with WALCO picks. I had repeatedly asked what the hold up was on my order of picks as I have been waiting for three months.

I would appreciate if you would send an email to S.H. Wallace and tell them about your experience with me as a representative of their product and other products I have provided. I told them that American Prospectors are not too keen on companies, such as theirs, that are perfectly willing to allow someone to spend time and money to advertise their product and build a client base, just so they can turn around and engage in underhanded tactics such as these. I truly am shocked by this turn of events. I can understand if S.H. Wallace wants to expand their distribution, but to cut me off, when I am the one who has done all the grunt work leaves me speechless. It's not the first time that this has happened to my suppliers. Where certain parties have tried to get them to cut me out, when I'm the one who has imported and advertised the item and made it popular.

G'Day Doc,

Sorry for the delay in answering your email. After carefull consideration we (Walco) will not be able to supply Profile Prospecting with our products. This decision is not personal, but based on situations outside your influence. We have appreciated all past dealings with you. Arizona Outback will be handling some of our products. We wish you and your family health, wealth and peace for the future. Thanks again.

Regards Cliff & Rob.

S. H. Wallace & Co

9 - 11 Wheeler Street

SHEPPARTON VIC 3630

Phone 03 5821 2575 Fax 03 5831 3353

shwallaceandco@iinet.net.au

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Well Doc,

As much as I would love to punch the PC Monitor screen, it wouldn't do any good. I would first like to add that Walco is making a huge, I mean huge mistake!!! Many of these other dealers had no interests whatsoever in Walco until their own pick products went sour (rock bottom!). I know I've personally sold Walco picks since day one with Doc (Profile Prospecting Supply) and promoted to my fullest extent. I think they are the greatest prospecting picks available and all my customers know how I promoted and pushed such a great pick.

However, if this is true, I will never, ever mention Walco or this company to another sole!! There is no distributor here in the US that could market such a great pick better than Doc. He has advertised all the Walco picks through many prospecting magazines, his own catalog and through many dealers sites such as mine.

If anyone has any faith in Doc or the dealers that have promoted these picks since day one, please send an email to - shwallaceandco@iinet.net.au and let them know what you think.

This email is not attacking anyone, just stating frusteration and a bit of mis-understanding why any company would even consider dropping Doc.

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Dustin,

It is a bummer, but what can you do. Doc has promoted those picks in ICMJ and the GPAA magazines, his own catalog and in the field. Hell, Doc had 400 on backorder from Walco ... I seriously doubt anyone is going to order and sell more than what Doc done in the past. If they could, it was from Doc building Walco a big name here in the US.

The pick you asked about has been on backorder for a long time, it's not that we couldn't get it.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Its funny how the other dealer who is getting the dealership says the Hoden is the best. I wonder if now they will change their website to say Walco is the best??? :lol::unsure:<_< And heres a quote from their forum !!!

"One of our days was spent near Wedderburn detecting with Cliff Watters and Rob Wallace; the makers of the renowned WALCO prospecting picks. Both men have found an impressive amount of gold, and were kind enough to take us to one of their patches. Thank you both for the delicious BBQ and warm hospitality in your camp."

As Grubby said, I thought up (and even made a couple) a good pick. Holds up better than any I've bought so far. Made out of a plow disc. Cost would be close to nil except the darn handles. I have no inclination to go into production, but would help (?) anyone interested. Maybe some one in the US will PM me.

Too bad for Doc. He always goes the extra mile for his customers. Hopefully with Coiltek under new ownership we can see some new coil designs. I know that Doc stands behind every product he sells. I would love to see a new mid size Coilteck eliptical mono.

Take Care,

Matt

• Admin

Hello Guys,

I have a story I just have to tell. It's just eating at me not being able to tell you what kind of guy Doc really is.

As many of you know, Doc has invented a handful of prospecting accessories over the years. One product that he has made by another person could easily be made cheaper if he wanted to have the same product manufactured overseas. However, Doc had good business relations with this person, so he continued to do business with him even thought he could have the product made for about half the price.

This alone tells me something about Doc. Now you figure out the rest when it comes to manufacturing picks ... :blink:

Rob Allison

Your right about DOC going the extra mile ROB, but so do you. This just didn't hurt DOC, but everyone he supplies with his products. Seems a shamed to me that a person or companys word is not worth anything anymore. Greed is what the world is driven by now days, not friendship or loyalty. You need a new clickable Icon, someone stabing a knife in someones back.! Just an after thought. :angry::angry::angry: Grubstake

It is irritating to see someone who does not have the moral fiber or convictions to stand by those that help them to develop their business.

Rob and Doc-I appreciate doing business with you for the fact that you stand by your word and then back it up with quality and quick service. It is too bad that a company would act in this manner....I believe those that have a base for their business that is based on honesty, integrity and good customer relations will continue to thrive in the long run over those that do not adhere to these characteristics. I will send an email to the makers of walco picks expressing these concerns.... surely a day will come when they will realize their mistake and it may be too late. Jerry

I find this very disturbing at best....I can only speculate here, but it sounds as if an "exclusive" arrangement was made as far as US distributorship of the Walco Pick.

With Doc having a backorder of 400 of these picks for a 3 month time frame, I also question the "integrity of the manufacturer"? That's one hell of an order regardless of the end retail price of $49.95. What took so long, and I don't need to hear the comman excuse about "Customs"!

To borrow a term from my days around aircraft.....Walco may have, just "screwed the pooch", refering to "crashed and burned"!

There are a few talented people here in the US, or on the other side of the pond if you will, that have made picks superior to the Walco!.....with the popularity of this particular 'pick', (I don't need to go into a pricing/quality issue here) my next question is.....was a "license agreement" drawn up between Walco and "X" to sell/manufacture the product in the US?

As long as Doc is paying his bills....whats the problem with filling a customer order???

Gary

BTW....that "canned" response to your e-mail Doc was nocturnal!

Howdy all,

Shep's idea notwithstanding,

there already IS a superior pick on the market

that easily competes with (and imho far surpasses) Walco -

I also think most of us know what it is;

A Hermit Pick.

It is made locally, by a person with integrity.

I have used it for a couple of years now and seriously,

there is not a better pick around Walco included.

If nothing else - it is unfortunate timing that has Doc's order

and indeed his dealership of Walco picks,

being turned down while at the same time

Arizona Outback may now be handling them.

I am not at all interesting in starting a sh it trip,

but if that is true, it begs for further clarification.

In the meantime I will continue to use a Hermit Pick, it is always going to

be the pick of choice for me, it is that good.

And I am sure Shep, should he choose to, will also make a pick of quality.

Either way, sometimes things happen for the better

even though it doesn't look that way in the beginning.

best wishes to all,

Flak

Remember to old saying "Sticks and Stones" 400 units is a lot of lost revenue for someone and a chance for someone else to gain a little prominence. There are a couple of other Electronic prospecting pick fabricators I am sure they can take up the slack easily. If there is a price increase coming it might as well be the local guy that gains the benefit, keep that in mind when you buy..... I won't be sending any emails but I do watch what I buy, thats where the real power lies......... My Nickel...... ;) Good Hunting Geo

Morning All: "Back Ordered" brings to mind some of my own experience. As many of you may know I designed and had made in Canada a longer replacement upper shaft applicable to all ML PI's SD thru GPX. In order to get the Canadian firm to make the Super Shaft for me they required I make payment at time of ordering. Paying up front wasn't a real problem but then I had to wait more than two months for the Canadian folks to get around to filling my order... first it was the Twist Lock nuts (same a s Minelab uses) were on order, next it was some other delay while this firm went ahead and made a similar long shaft for another brand of detector. I wasn't a happy customer. All the hold-up did was to delay my marketing efforts while the Canadians had and worked on my American Dollars. Finally I tired of the delays and now have the ability to have the Super Shaft LOCALLY machined and powder coated. INCIDENTALY, IMMEATELY AFTER THE CANADIANS TOLD ME THE TWIST LOCK NUTS WERE ON ORDER I PLACED AN ORDER WITH MINELAB USA AND REC'D THE ORDER WITHIN 10 DAYS (before the Canadians said their order was rec'd) !!!!

I don't know any specifics of WALCO PICKS agreement with either Doc or AZO and I don't want to take sides just wanted to share my experience, perhaps another person could do what I did to have the Super Shaft made in the U.S.A.

Don

Don, looks like you have a good case for a suit if you ask me. Darn idea thieves!

This whole pick thing is heatin up like the ol wild west! :(

I have been using the Golden Goddess pick, short handled, hand made when you order, ships next day, arrives in a blink of an eye with a cool sticker too, mines already beat to hell but going strong!

Looking for a longer handle and a backside with some shovel like capacity for clearing the hole... So which pick does JP use in the GPX Factor dvd?

A MID SIZE MONO Ellipitcal, wow, never thought about that. Just kidding, give me about 7 days, they are actually on their way as we speak. I wasn't going to make the announcement until they were here, however, being you brought it up, and I do have the Air Way Bill in my hand, I think it is safe to say they will get here. Grubby and Rob get the first two.

I only have 50 of them coming in this first order. They are 8.5 X 11, waterproof, open design. Initial reports from testers in OZ is that they go deeper on a 1 gram nugget than a 14 inch mono, WHICH I PERSONALLY FIND a little hard to beleive. That 14 inch mono has always been a killer coil.

Get your orders into Rob quickly. Price is $229

Thanks!

DOC

Too bad for Doc. He always goes the extra mile for his customers. Hopefully with Coiltek under new ownership we can see some new coil designs. I know that Doc stands behind every product he sells. I would love to see a new mid size Coilteck eliptical mono.

Take Care,

Matt

• Admin

Hello Guys,

I've received a handful of phone calls, PM's and emails about this whole Walco pick deal. There has been some very interesting questions brought forth with very little answers.

Grubstake brought up a very interesting question - "If Doc had 400 Walco picks on backorder, how the hell could the company even think about bringing in another dealer/distributor when they couldn't even support the one they had?

Just curious if anyone has received any feedback from their emails?

Take care,

Rob Allison