Diagnol penatration? Would it work?

had a situation recently were I found a 2.7 dwt gold nugget at about 6 or 7 inches. I was glad to find it but the question comes up why was its signal so faint. It was about a thick as the cardboard on a cigarette box but a couple inches long and 1 in. tall. It was sitting on its side in a crack in slate bedrock running up and down. Turned flat I think it would have screamed. I believe the to be more gold like this in the area, ever bigger deeper. The question is if your coil was heald a little diagnol rather than flat would you be able to see more of this kind of gold? Is there a coil platform any one has seen?

Yo, Dredger, I don't think the diagonal will help unless the target's on a bench or hillside...My experience has been that nuggets on end, down in cracks, are very faint no matter what until you get them flipped on their broad side...Once out near 3 Lb. Patch I had a faint target that I thought was prob. a hot rock...Went over it a couple of time over three days...I finally took my 18"DD Pro and scrubbed it...Down about 11" was a flat one grammer which got real loud after I dug it out and scooped it into the pile...It must have been on its side with skinny looking up....Funny, ... knew a woman like that once...a red head...Oh, oops...Well, there's all kinds o' nuggets out there...And situations where diagonal and so forth does work... :o:lol::rolleyes: Cheers, Unc

1dredger,

Your on the right track!There was a patch out in N.Nevada that had nuggets found ONLY UNDER THE SAGE.......WHY do ya think this happened?Some wierd geological botanical/geological occurence?Of course not!The MD'ers that hit that area first did NOT tilt thier coils at a angle that enabled a better signal response.

So ANYTIME you get the chance...tilt or angle your search coil.This is a great practice because not only are you going to find more targets...you are doing what a majority of what others DONT(lotta lazy ones out thier not putting in extra efforts)....and this "habit" will increase your chances of a find.

BIGFOOT

post-774-1174577877_thumb.jpg

1dredger,

Your on the right track!There was a patch out in N.Nevada that had nuggets found ONLY UNDER THE SAGE.......WHY do ya think this happened?Some wierd geological botanical/geological occurence?Of course not!The MD'ers that hit that area first did NOT tilt thier coils at a angle that enabled a better signal response.

So ANYTIME you get the chance...tilt or angle your search coil.This is a great practice because not only are you going to find more targets...you are doing what a majority of what others DONT(lotta lazy ones out thier not putting in extra efforts)....and this "habit" will increase your chances of a find.

BIGFOOT

1dredger, Ive found if you swing side ways over it and its iffy. Sometimes almost a double blip,change your swing 180% and if it hits more solid, its probably a nugget on its side. longer nuggets also do this.

I agree 100% Bigfoot Thats one of the ways I squeek a few out of some old patches. Mono's work the best for this because of their cone shape sweet spot. I also do it next to large boulders. Great point.

AzNuggetBob ;)

Oh ya, a couple of pointers I forgot to mention , I always use an eliptical mono coil when Im doing this and push the coil front to back next to the boulder or bush rather side to side. Get every inch you can. ;)

AzNuggetBob,

Thanks for the compliment bud!Another worthy point is IF possible...REMOVE ANY/ALL targets that block efficient coverage(I know ya know this...maybe others here dont).

Theres a huge monster out there in the high desert of N.Nevada thats been calling for removal.NICE pieces have been found ALL AROUND this mammoth....somebody has had the b*lls to sink a few holes directly underneath the rock but its so big that holes only partially surround it.The holes sunk are only big enough for a small coil that cant go deep enough to detect any "possibles".I have figured out how I'm gonna move this thing...and I'm gonna do it before I get "premature seniality" setting in from thinking about it TOO MUCH!lol!

When I was 13 my first BIG find was on the Yuba River.I was invited to help a dredge crew that already had a man camp set up with a 3"Keene Surface and 6" Gold Divers Surface Dredge.I found a quartz stringer running THROUGH the bedrock about 3 feet below the surface....I saw Bright YELLOW right there in front of my eyes!It ran for only two inces and was/IS very thin.I tapped my dive pard on the shoulder and his eyes buldged out of his head...we proceeded to attack the bedrock with every available pick/pry bar/chisel and NO GO!It wouldnt fracture..........and its STILL there sittin in that river....whats AGGREVATING as all "heck" is that where the AU ends?OR....is that where it OPENS up into a large pocket on the other side of the bedrock?!!As the years pass I find MANY(shocking!!!lol!)that want to help me recover this "stringer".The best advice comes from the hardrockers,they suggested how to drill a particular pattern and cover it with a blanket(or whatever......this IS out in the middle of nowhere....no chance of using a mattress for cover/containment).This has to be done UNDERWATER.......its not exposed........which is why I think its still there!

So.........I'd BETTER get at these before its too late and I cant move around(like I used to)........either that OR somebody reading this may get it before I!!!

BIGFOOT

THE RUSH NEVER DIES TILL ITS ALL GONE!!!

post-774-1175277582_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hello Guys,

Some great points on hunting in and around objects. The Mono searchcoils do work best since they are "hot" on the very outer ridge of the coil.

Keep in mind, if you're using a DD coil it's crucial to keep the very front of the coil in places you think there might be a nugget. Small nuggets, or larger nuggets at depth will not detect well on the edges of a DD searchcoil. The Electromagnetic field is strongest right down the middle of the coil, and on the top and bottom edge.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison