FINDERS SUPERFIX, OUTPERFORMING GPX?

• Admin

Hello All,

Talk with a good friend Karl Baltz tonight on the phone. He is out camped at a local goldfield and done some comparison with his GP and Finders Superfix to a brand new GPX-4000. I guess the GP with the SuperFix was able to hear the targets much better than GPX with all the cranked up settings. The guy using the GPX was relatively new to the detector, so I'm heading out in the morning to do some comparisons with my GPX against the Finders Superfix.

Just curious if anyone else has had any success with the "Superfix" on their GP's?

Maybe Finders has something here ....

Rob Allison

Oils aint oils Rob, the Superfix deserves a test with the SD series equal to anything you may have planned with the GP. . .X4 product.

Remember, this product has been several ML models in developement.

I would only value a shoot-out with the machine it was designed for. . . SD/Extreme series, the GP. . .X4 benefits will only come as a bonus.

my 2-cents

lemons

Hello Everyone. A follow up note here on my GP3000 in combination with the SuperFix.. I was running a Nuggetfinder mono 14 inch. And in the Superfix Minelab enhanced mode with targets of various sizes and at various depths I could pickup all of the targets where the GPX4000 was only detecting one using either an 8 inch and a 15 inch Commander coil. And as Rob stated the owner had only had his GPX for a few days and is still in the learning mode. One of the targets was actually a gold ore speciemen ore that had three gold bands in it. I was pleastly surprised that it could detect it. I got signal in both Minelab enhanced and SuperFix mode!

Friday afternoon I meet up with Rob and Leverite and Steve and Kitty up on 24K's number 5 push. Rob placed a 3 penny weight ( I think it was 3, correct me with the correct weight Rob) and we placed it about 14 inches down.. Rob had his GPX4000 with a Coiltek 14 inch as did Leverite. Steve had his GP3500 with a Coiltek mini UFO and I had my GP3000 with the SuperFix combination and using a Nuggetfinder 14 inch. Steve had to listen hard to hear his signal, because it was very subtle. I could get a clean signal in SuperFix Minelab enhanced and would have dug on that signal alone. When I placed the unit in Superfix mode, the nugget was very clearly there.

Both Rob's and Leverite's GPX boomed over the target and they were not in boost mode! You would have not had any indecision in digging the target.

We then put the CoilTek 14 inch on Steve's 3500 and he got a much clearer signal.

And here is a comparison for everyone to take note of. I then put Rob's Coiltek 14 inch on my GP3000/Superfinder combination and the resulting signal was significantly improved over my Nuggetfinder 14 inch coil. I tested in both Superfix mode and Minelab Enhanced mode. All agreed with me that I obtained a clearer and stronger signal with the Coiltek 14 inch over the Nuggetfinder 14 inch. Rob knows I want a CT 14 inch coil now! Something else to hide from my wife! lol

But even with the improvement I achieved with the CT 14 inch, I still did not achieve the quality of signal that both Rob and Leverite achieved with the GPX4000 using the same coil over the same target. The GPX4000 was clearly the top performer. I am not displeased with the performance I am obtaining with my GP3000 in combination with the SuperFix. My unit is running with no threshold noise in Minelab enhanced even when being used in a scavanger hunt this afternoon with about 25 other detectors all around me. If one got within 15 feet I could just barely pickup their unit. But it didn't compromise my ability to hear targets. Of course in Superfix mode I can drop the threshold down to nothing and not affect the units sensitivity.

The area we are hunting in has been hit very hard over the years from what I have been told. The nuggets that are being pulled from the non-pushed areas are deep and this requires one to have the ability to hear a very subtle signal change. It also means you have to train your ears to hear that subtle change and be willing to take the time to dig signal hits you might have previously walked passed. I feel that the SuperFix has given me the capability to hear that signal change by pulling the target out of the ground noise on my 3000 in both Superfix and Minelab Enhanced Modes. I feel that it will out perform the stock only SD and GP units, but that it won't match up to the GPX4000 with the additional combinations of settings that the GPX4000 brings to the table. I have some qualification questions to ask of the technical staff at Finders, because the instruction sheets only have you setting up the systems in normal modes with specific threshold, signal and tone settings. I want to find out what happens if one deviate from their specificed settings.

Right now though the GPX4000 is looking mighty good.

Thank you Rob, Leverite, Steve and Kitty for giving me some of your time Friday afternoon to run the test! I appreciate it very much!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Regards,

Karl

:D Hi from aussie land. Been working with finders to iron out some issues with the superfix over the last few months. Testing on SDs and GPs. On Average it will in Minelab enhance give you 3"-4" over a stock unit.On the GPs a little more. In Superfix mode it can give you up to 6"-9" on certain types of ground.

happy hunting.

• Admin

Hello All,

I'm not here to bash any product, but will let you know my opinions on what I seen. First, I wasn't overly impressed with the "SuperFix." What do you mean it has to be used with an SD? It says right on the side of the box, SD or GP's! Karl pretty much summed it up, the GPX-4000 outperformed the Finders Superfix. I didn't even have the GPX cranked up to max settings and I was still hearing a clear signal when the GP3000 with the Superfix wasn't hearing it as well.

Does the Superfix increase performance? Yes, from what I seen it does, but takes some time understanding the signals. It would "Beep" and then pause and "Beep" again .... Kind of hard for me to figure it out. There's no doubt Karl was getting better performance in the "Superfix" mode over the "Minelab" mode on the GP3000.

I'm not convinced the Superfix is getting 6-9 more inches on certain ground types. That a huge gain, when just a couple of inches is a big break in technology.

Since I have the GPX-4000 I won't be looking back. This detector is much more stable, more versatile and getting better sensitivity and depth over prior SD/GP models.

Great testing with you Karl, Steve, Kitty and Leaverite.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hi All,

"And here is a comparison for everyone to take note of. I then put Rob's Coiltek 14 inch on my GP3000/Superfinder combination and the resulting signal was significantly improved over my Nuggetfinder 14 inch coil. I tested in both Superfix mode and Minelab Enhanced mode. All agreed with me that I obtained a clearer and stronger signal with the Coiltek 14 inch over the Nuggetfinder 14 inch."

Were you using a NF 14inch Round or Elip. If you were using the elliptical it should not be a surprise

to anyone that the coiltek 14 round sounded better. You will get a better signal form a round coil then

from a elliptical coil of like size.

Hi Rob,

I wouldn't think that a brand would make a difference (coils of the same size) thats good

information to know. By the way I am not loyal to any brand. I made a assumption that his

coil was the 14 x 7 elp. We all know about assumptions :lol:

Ps. I am not a wordsmith so please don't take anything I write the wrong way.

• Admin

Hello Way2Cool,

I would agree with you, the coils "should" be performing similar. However, after several tests on different detectors there was no doubt the coil wasn't performing up to standards for deep targets. I suggested Karl contact the manufacture or dealer about the issue.

Never hurts to have an assortment of various coils in your arsenal. I personally have a couple of all the manufactures, but many more Coiltek coils. :P

Karl might not have clarified enough when he made the original post. However, both coils were 14-inch round mono's.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

G'day fella's

I haven't even seen a Superfix or used GPX4000 yet. But I've gotta tell you that would have to be one of the worst tests I have ever read.

What I gained from that, was that the GPX 4000 had better audio. Period.

If you had been testing a 2100 and a 2200. The 2100 would have won. Does it go deeper then the 2200?

Coil Wars :lol:

I guess one would have to take , new , out of the box, 10 ea. and do test to come up with an accurate comparison.

Being that I have never owned any NF coils, I could never give any comparisons. However I can say the 14" round Coiltek has always been a favorite of mine since the first time I put it on.

Like Bob, I will stay out of the coil wars and say that this was an interesting and informative comparison. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your opinions.

Hello All,

Talk with a good friend Karl Baltz tonight on the phone. He is out camped at a local goldfield and done some comparison with his GP and Finders Superfix to a brand new GPX-4000. I guess the GP with the SuperFix was able to hear the targets much better than GPX with all the cranked up settings. The guy using the GPX was relatively new to the detector, so I'm heading out in the morning to do some comparisons with my GPX against the Finders Superfix.

Just curious if anyone else has had any success with the "Superfix" on their GP's?

Maybe Finders has something here ....

Rob Allison

Pardon my ignorance--I have a GP-3000. How do I get Finder's Superfix? Does it come in a kit or must the detector be sent somewhere?

P. Al

• Admin

Hello Guys,

By any means this isn't anything to do with coil wars! The first thing I told Karl after seeing the results is to contact AZO or the dealer to have it checked out. This rough testing we conducted had nothing to do with coils, we just happened to notice the results when we switched to the Coiltek 14-inch Round Mono. There was no doubt the Coiltek 14-inch could hear something the NF 14-inch Round Mono couldn't with and without the "Superfix" mode.

The main point of this test was to see how the Minelab GP3000/w Superfix performed against the new Minelab GPX-4000. The results from several tests were the GPX-4000 outperformed in "Normal" modes and even better performance in "Tweaked" modes for best performance.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Finder's Superfix. All you hear is a "Beep" when you cross over a target. When it comes to faint targets, the Superfix would beep once and then pause a few times over the target and beep again. To my understanding it "wasn't" hearing the target well, but Karl claimed that is how it works. I sure hope it works better than that.

Since I'm not an expert with the Superfix, nor is Karl, there is a slight chance something might not have been set up properly. If you're going to tell me this unit gets 6-9 more inches of depth, well I won't even comment on that! I seen better results of it making the detector quieter than making it achieve more depth.

As for our testing techniques, I never stated they were the best. However, it did tell me if something would hear a target or not. I'm not overly impressed with any of the tests they conduct "ONLY" in Australia. The Australian results are normally 180 degrees from what we get here due to the drastic change in mineralization.

If you own a GPX-4000, there is no reason to even read this. You're not going to loose any sleep knowing you do own the best gold detector on the market. After testing some other combination of settings on the GPX-4000 I'm amazed on the versatility of this unit.

Montana - When Karl called the first night and told me the results I was shocked, but then scared a bit. I couldn't being what I was hearing, but come to find out we believe "Skipper Bill" might not of had his GPX-4000 set up right. When I showed up Friday morning and conducted the tests, Karl and I both were impressed with the results of the GPX-4000.

Roger D - No coil wars here! :D I know better to stay out of that mess, been there and done that. :mellow: I agree with you, there is no touching that Coiltek 14-inch coil! From the results this weekend I believe I sold three of them. :P I will be in contact with you soon.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

I'm on the road back to Houston. I'll post more tonight. I have lots of questions to ask Ken at Finders.

But the GPX4000 is sweet!

And to everyone, I wasn't trying to start a coil war. only wanted share my comparision of the same size coils on the same machine, same dirt and same target.

I did do a test on depth between Superfix modeagainst Minelab enhanced mode.

A target that i coul only pick up at 5 inches in ML enhanced mode, I could pick up solid at 9 inches and get a cricket chirping sound at 10 inches.

there is still that delayed signal response i need to ask about.

I have to get back to my driving.

post more later.

rgds

karl

Hey all,

Have a look at my quick report on the Superfix under the post "Talbot Weekend" dated 22nd November. I think it's the last reply on that post. It's about my experiences to date with it.

The Superfix is not about outperforming the 4000, nor do the manufacturers claim it will do this.

The Superfix is about enhancing the detector that you presently have, especially if you can't afford a 4000.

I have used both the 4000 and the Superfix, and admit that I'm still learning how to use SF ! With a bit of experience under the belt, I'm happy with it. It's not a "simple" add-on. I run an Extreme and feel that with a SF attached, it is now the equivalent of a really good 3000 or possibly even a 3500 in certain conditions.

There are more experienced operators than myself out there (here in Oz) who are using the SF and I'm sure they are getting more out of it than I am. It's all a learning curve.

If you have the money ...... buy a 4000 (I would have !!!)

If you don't have the money ...... get a Superfix (I did)

Cheers

The Sodd.

Hi Rex!

I had this great reply regarding a bigger number, but decided it was probably in poor taste! ROFL So I deleted it!

Anyway...staying politically correct! ............

A 4 inch increase in depth is what I experienced, I had another 24 K member named Dave confirm the depth. Not the Dave who is the assistant caretaker over at Stanton.....another Dave.

Adding one more inch of depth still gave me a signal, but I'm not certain that I would have dug the target with the irratic sound I was getting. If I had not known there was a target, I would have assumed static noise or something else and not dug it. But in knowing what kind of low grade signal I did get, I will at least remove a few inches of overburden to check it out!

Back to unpacking! The worst part of a trip is unloading everything!

Have a great day everyone!

Regards

Karl

• Admin

Hello Karl and others,

The most important thing is knowing the SuperFix is giving you more performance vs. your stock setup. An extra inch of depth in the right spots can mean more gold! :D

When I was running the SD2100 many years ago I did everything to increase the performance. This included a Coiltek 7.3v regulated battery system, Coiltek Searchcoils, Coiltek Amp & DetectorPro Headphones. These extra accessories helped me find more gold over the years with the SD.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Dear group;

A 4" increase in depth is SUBSTANTIAL! Shoot, if the Super-Fix is allowing the operator to punch down another 4" then it's well worth the asking price and then some. I don't think that even the GPX-4000 can make the claim that it goes 4" deeper than the SD-2100. If this were true then I'd be giving Rob a call. Gentlemen, 4" is a LOT of depth. IMVHO, if the Super Fix gave the SD-2100 a 4" depth advantage over the stock SD-2100 then it would become a whole new ball game. There'd be no need to buy a GPX-4000 or even an older GP series as the SD-2100/Super Fix operator would have his hands full for quite some time recovering targets from the old patches.

What I do feel the Super Fix does is to broaden the responses between background hum and actual target returns. By digitizing and broadening the audio spectrum, those tiny audio changes that were previously unoticed are now much more readily recognized as targets, hence more targets are therefore recovered. The depth is not increased, the sensitivity is increased, and if this is true then it will also be true that the SD-2100 will find smaller gold at greater depth than it was previously able to.

Your friend;

LAMAR

Lamar. I believe you are correct that the Super fix digitizes the analogue signal that the detector produces. This would allow for a clean up of the interference and ground noise but would result in a very different audio response that would take some getting used to . Your detector would now be talking a different language. I think that Fishers last VLF gold detector, the gold stryke was a digital signal. I tried and tried to get used to it but it was so foreign that I finally gave up . There was no climb of the threshold as you approached a target, (called lead) , Just a bleep when you physically put the coil dead over the target. There was no variation of tone or intensitivity of the signal at varying target depths. It was either there or not. It sounded exactly the same on a hotrock as it did on a gold target. A few people got used to it and found gold with it but it wasn't accepted well by people who had learned on other detectors. I actually think that beginners did better with it than the more seasoned prospectors who had learned an entirely different detector language. I would bet that the Super Fix will be confusing to many people until they get used to it, but in high interference areas or really bad soil it probably will get good results.----Bob