The Placers

Well Doc and I went out yesterday to begin cleaning the bottom of our new hole so we could get an idea what we got. Well we what I would personally call a cluster F*&k.

Like always, Doc jumped right in where he thought the work would be the easest. While I sat back and studyed the hole. My loss his gain. He has decided that we should divide the hole up so we don't get in each others way. To which I heartedly agreed too. So we have decided that the hump in the hole in split down the middle. This gives him about 1/3 of the hole and me 2/3rds of the hole. Just one small problem with this concept, my side is all calechi bottom and sides. Thats why Doc is the brains of the ourfit. Here are a few pictures for ya. The going was a bit slow on my side. The bucket is roughly the dividing point. The floor is going to almost all jackhammer work. The forth picture is my starting point, I found a little gold, about 12-15 very small pieces.

One thing I forgot, all the pick work that was done, was done with Hermit Picks. I had Joe build me a 38 inch Hermit Pick and chewed its way thru the calechi but it was tough going. Judging by the 4th picture, we have about 3 feet of this bottom. This is going to be one hellva season.

Pictures removed to create more space for new post.

:P 29 :P

A possible answer:

Explosives??!!! :blink:

Chris

Chris,

After 9/11 I let my explosives license go. Cost to much to renew all the countrues and state and Feds. I have considered black powder, Ijust have never worked with it. :lol:

Bob B)

John,

Pick a spot cause there are all hard! :P:P:lol::lol:

bob

Chris,

After 9/11 I let my explosives license go. Cost to much to renew all the countrues and state and Feds. I have considered black powder, Ijust have never worked with it. :lol:

Bob B)

John,

Pick a spot cause there are all hard! :P:P:lol::lol:

bob

HEY 29 Palms ever use tannerite spelling may be wrong look up exploding targets.ships ups no has/mat All you do is cut a hole the siza of the bottle GET BACK 100yds or so behind a rock good and shoot it with a rifle 223 or 5.56

or 308 works it pretty cool stuff no licence

Guest keninla
HEY 29 Palms ever use tannerite spelling may be wrong look up exploding targets.ships ups no has/mat All you do is cut a hole the siza of the bottle GET BACK 100yds or so behind a rock good and shoot it with a rifle 223 or 5.56

or 308 works it pretty cool stuff no licence

I had never heard of the stuff before so I looked it up. Found a website that illustrates it and you can buy from them.

Here it is.

http://www.tannerite.com/

Ken

The only problem I see with the stuff is that in order to get the breakage that you need you have to have a hole that is at least 24 inches deep. I no longer own an aircompressor, rotoary hammmer, drill steel or hose.

Hey paleface, hows about helping me hand drill about 20 holes? :lol:

I think I'll check with my old hardrock partner and see if he has a 1 inch impact drill.

the stuff looks promising.

Paleface, Jeff and I can sit back and remember the good old days.

I remember when it used to be in Nevada that all you needed to buy explosives was a drivers liscence and cash. Dem was the good ol' days! :lol:

On the other hand, you could make a quick trip to Mexico for a couple of boxes full of M-80s. :D

Chris

Chris,

I remember when we could go to Bagley's market and hardware and by it along with the groceries.

bob

Maybe you could put a target on it and invite the Air Force to conduct strafing runs on it! lol

All jokes aside:

There is that product that you drill a bunch of holes and pore this stuff down the holes and step back out of the way cause in a few hours it starts to expand and will break up the rock between the holes. It is non explosive and does not require a license. They use it for cutting granite blocks in quarries. You can set up your holes for slabing or making blocks or just making smaller rocks out of bigger rocks!

Here is the URL

http://www.archerusa.com/Product_Dexpan.html

Of course there is always good old ammonium nitrate fertlizer and kerosene. The higher the percent AN the better

Yea I know..better living through the "Anarcist Cook Book" that I was required reading when I was in law enforcement back in the 70's! Such a shadded past I lived! lol

rgds

Karl

Mr. Scorpion, I have know about Dex-Pan for some time. Has anyone used it? How expensive is it? I understand that you have to start out with a 2" drill and later an 1-1/2 drill. How deep can you drill? Also, I understand that the holes have to be about 10 to 12 inches apart. Any additional info is appreciated. Thanks, Ruff&Tuff.

I don't have any experience with it at all! Only what I have read off the url site I listed and a couple of searches.

I suspect though that the size of the drilled hole, depth and placement must specific to what your end product is going to look like. Since it does its job by creating induced stress brought on by the pressure of the expanding material, it should shatter along any existing stress fields, layers, jointing and fracturing and/or proximity to other holes drilled into the material one wants to either excavate or harvest.

But other than that assumption....I really don't have a clue!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Regards

Karl