Eastern NC gold

dixterr--- I will give you what little I know. Over 14-counties in NC have reported gold. The geology is similar to SC.

As you noted there are a series of belts. Eastern Belt, South Mountain Belt, the Western Belt, Slate Belt, Charlotte Belt and the Kings Mountain Belt. The gold was/is basically found in the piedmont and mountain sections.

The trail may be cold, but try contacting the North Carolina Geological Survey. It was PO Box 27687, Raleigh NC 27611-7684. Phone was (919) 733-2423. Be sure to ask for their free list off available publications.

SC has been noted for gold. The Reed mine was discovered in 1700 by 12-year old Conrad Reed. The Reed Cold Mine is now a historical site. The gold nugget that young Conrad found was unidentified for several yeas and used for a doorstop at the Reed Plantation. It weighed 17 pounds and sold to a jeweler. Nuggets up to 28 pounds were later found.

I think it would be neat to pan a little gold from the various belts. Also semi-precious gemstones and even diamonds, as well as fossils have and maybe still be to found in SC.

You can Google more info but this is some that I found just dinging around, I've been back ther poking around some in the early 90's my son went to College at Western Carolina U interesting country alright ...Good Luck Geo :D

http://keyword.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.j...2520hunting.htm

Hello George... Jim Straight here. Isn't e-mail wonderful? You were able to find and

post the latest on N.C. gold. I orginally did it the hardway(?) in the early post in this thread... by phone calls to the Government agencies.

I remember one evening... late... I was cunningly calling phone numbers to see if they were alive. I would let it ring and listen to the answer machine, then hang up.

This was not expensive as it would be only a minute or two.

When I started verifying some of the businesses, Keith Wills of "Broken Detectors"

answered on the first ring... was I ever dismayed... It was about 2:00 AM his time.

But he was bright and bubbly and explained he was working at his shop on machines. Gosh this was neat. We had a great conversation.

Back in the 1970's, Karl von Mueller (William Miller) called me several times in the

middle of the night. He couldn't sleep and just wanted to talk. Wayne Winters would also get occasional midnight calls from KvM. Wayne was a close friend of Ken White (Sr) and Olive. Olive was a dedicated detectorist and Wayne was always impressed at the stuff she could fine using the (then) 1972 erea machines.

• 5 months later...
Anyone have info on the gold belt that runs through the Eastern portion of North Carolina. GPAA maps show belt that runs through Halifax and Nash counties but no other info. Just wondering if anyone knows any good locations in these areas to pan. Thanks

Just before you cross over the fishing creek bridge off of 561 in northern Franklin county, is Taylor Store rd.( landmark sign mentioning gold history)

Just a couple hundred feet along the road side to the left hand side, there is red clay containing small quartz veinlets that you can try. Only thing is that its a good ways from a descent stream to pan from, so carry a bucket or two. Also it was couple of years ago for me, so things might have changed around alittle especially privately own land. Ive found good color and a couple of pinhead sized nuggets.

What I understand is that gold was mostly recovered as placer in the adjoining valleys of fishing creek were the four counties meet. Hope it helps some. Good luck.

We used to live and vacation in NC. Here are a couple of photos of that general area. The first one displays some gold nuggets uncovered long ago by hydraulic mining in White Co., GA. I don’t know anything more about that photo since it comes from an online source. The second one I took several years ago of a mountain creek in the Smokey Mtns. If the rhododendrons were in bloom the photo would be even nicer.

post-721-1147032782_thumb.jpg

post-721-1147032811_thumb.jpg

I have not been to the Nash County area, but the following publications may help. Several are out of print - i purchased used on www.abebooks.com a website market for thousands of booksellers.

1. Gold Deposits in North Carolina by Herman Bryson 1936

North Carolina Dept of Conservation and Development - Bulletin 38

covers Eastern Carolina Belt, Slate Belt, and all the other belts in NC

2. Gold Resources of North Carolina by P.A. Carpenter III

North Carolina Dept Natural Resources - Information Circular 21

2 editions: 1972 and 1978 i got both - they are different

3. Metallic Mineral Depositsof the Carolina Slate Belt by P.A> Carpenter III

North Carolina Dept Natural Resources - Bulletin 84 - 1976

detailed description, mine by mine - nice map! - Slate Belt only..

That's a great link. I just looked up a couple of sources in the bibiliography for "Placer Gold Deposits of Nevada" one dated 1936 and the other dated 1908. The site actually has both for sale at a reasonable price. The 1908 is a photocopy but the 1936 is the original book. I'm going to place this link on another forum if you don't mind.

• 7 years later...

Anyone have info on the gold belt that runs through the Eastern portion of North Carolina. GPAA maps show belt that runs through Halifax and Nash counties but no other info. Just wondering if anyone knows any good locations in these areas to pan. Thanks

Sandy and Swift creek off Taylor road has some traces, good luck getting to the creek, it's all posted land and hunted. Argo mine has some, good luck there too, it's timber land and posted too. there's a creek that comes off the old Argo mine that crosses Whelless Cabin road traces in that creek, Posted too.

• 1 year later...