Most expensive Toy Hauler EVER!

OK, so as I reported a while back I had a 12 foot Toy Hauler built from the ground up to my specifications at Dunesport.com in Mesa Arizona.

Got everything you need for desert prospecting.  On board 3500 generator.  Tub shower, toilet.  Sink, microwave, stove oven, stereo, DVD television AC, fridge freezer.  Two 30 gallon LP tanks.  50 gallons fresh water, 50 gallons black, 50 gallons gray.  Dinette with table and couch  Dinette seats fold out into twin bed, and couch folds down into a smaller bed.  In the ceiling is a queen bed that lowers at the push of a button.

So it's really small, and I figure I can tow it with my Tacoma.  Well I can, but let's just say you can't tow it very fast.

So the $22,000 I spent on the trailer all of a sudden becomes a lot more expensive because now I need a REAL truck to pull it.  I know nothing about trucks.  So my boys are the gear heads, and they told me to get the RAM 1500 Eco-Diesel that comes with a towing package.  Man what a beautiful truck.  But holy crap, it cost more than twice what the trailer did.  But you don't even know you are towing the trailer.  Get's around 14 mph on the road with the trailer.

My wife says, "How are you ever going to find enough gold to justify that expense."  I told her, "Look I'm old and senile and I am not responsible for my actions so I don't have to justify anything.  Besides you are younger than me, how do you justify allowing someone with my limited mental faculties to spend so much money?"

Anyway, I'm ready for cooler detecting weather.

Doc2016-10-07 09.13.44 (1024 x 576).jpg

I have a friend with a very similar story. He bought a used 20 foot toy hauler off his brother. Said he had to buy a $40k truck to pull his $10k trailer.

I was admiring your toy hauler a lot when you posted about it and was considering getting something like that one day. I also drive a Tacoma and was wondering how it towed it. Guess that answers that.

It's OK on the flat, but man just a bit of an incline and the most you can get out of the ol girl is about 45 mph.  I mean I am in no hurry when I am out enjoying myself anyway, so it would be no big deal, but when you are on a 2 lane road, with a speed limit of 65 and some poor bastard is stuck behind you while you are going 45, makes for some very irate people.  I found myself constantly pulling off the road to let people by.  Then it would take me about 20 minutes to get her up to 45 miles per hour again.

Doc

Doc I like it. ya got all the necessities. what more could you ask for out prospecting? I started in a homemade camper van with a solar water bag heater shower,ice chest and coleman stove,and besides if you drive too fast you may drive right by some gold. ;) AzNuggetBob

Doc, you are not the only one to buy a truck right sized for the job at hand, then found that a new job came along and the truck no longer fit the task. I bought an 07 Tundra (Small V8 engine). It worked great, the wife (I can blame her because she will never see this post) found a 21 foot toy hauler. As per usual the sales folks told us what we wanted to hear - "Sure your truck will tow it just fine." made several trips with this set-up, The straw was a trip to Moab, Got 4 mpg coming back home most of the time turning 6500rpm. Found a 2006 used Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel for a decent price. This truck tows the trailer with a RZR loaded into it almost like it wasn't there. Get good fuel mileage loaded and unloaded. Couldn't be happier.

Mike

Doc,

Dont feel bad. I hold up traffic all the time in the Yoto :) 45 up most hills in 3rd. The 4 gerbils under the hood are doing the best they can!
Tom H.

You're just starting! Much worse than a fishing boat! Buy a good truck, buy a Toy hauler. Then need a bigger truck. Then want a sidexside or bigger quad, so you need a bigger toyhauler. Have fun sir! can't take it with you!

19 hours ago, AZNuggetBob said:

Doc I like it. ya got all the necessities. what more could you ask for out prospecting? I started in a homemade camper van with a solar water bag heater shower,ice chest and coleman stove,and besides if you drive too fast you may drive right by some gold. ;) AzNuggetBob

That's where I'm at now. Tent, cot, cooler and I recently upgraded with a shade canopy and a solar bag shower! Will be living the good life out there. 

Why would anyone have to justify fun??? I will never get that concept, especially when those same askers are spending thousands on junk and toys that never give back....

I started out sleeping on the ground, then a tent then a camper...now I sleep very well in my trailer and enjoy the ride in my truck...at 66 I love the comfort!!!

you will enjoy it too, Doc

fred

15 hours ago, fredm said:

Why would anyone have to justify fun??? I will never get that concept, especially when those same askers are spending thousands on junk and toys that never give back....

I started out sleeping on the ground, then a tent then a camper...now I sleep very well in my trailer and enjoy the ride in my truck...at 66 I love the comfort!!!

you will enjoy it too, Doc

fred

I can't wait to get a toy hauler like Docs. I can't even imagine how great it must feel after 8-9 hours of prospecting in Arizona covered in dirt, sunscreen, bug spray and sweat with an achy back and sore knees to take a shower, lay in a real bed and watch some TV. That'd be heaven on earth for me. I could easily go somewhere like the Bradshaw Mountains and park the trailer and just live out there for two weeks or whatever the Forest Service allows you to do at a time. Couldn't get much better than that as long as the fridge is full of beer and steak and my girlfriend is around to to make sure dinner is ready when I get back :D I'll get there one day.

Tortuga, quality of life doesn't have to be that expensive, just need to know it's and your limitations. Don't know your age or health. I'm 66 have some issues with hip, knees, ankle and foot. Have a 16' FunRunner TH. Ankle and foot have been the lastest issue. TH I have, you climb a ladder into bed. Headed for Q in a couple of weeks, may not work climbing up and down ladder at night with brace. and if not, I'll be looking for TH with low front bed. Something to think about. I am not gonna sleep on the ground again. Showers are nice, cold beer and ice are nice, I like my TV. I have Dish for cowboy shows and Nascar. 225 watt solar panel on roof would eliminate any need for generator except for Late night TV. Might be available, if I need the low bed.

Sounds like a nice setup. If I get serious about getting a toy hauler I'd like to check all my options and do a lot of research first. I don't have a place to put it either, would have to see what storage costs. I've also got a Toyota like Doc had, dunno if it would be up to the task of towing.

It's pretty hard to beat a 1993 to 1995 Foretravel diesel pusher that will tow your jeep, pickup or whatever. Mine has a stove reefer, microwave, 2 ac units, 2 furnaces, a 6.5 Kw generator, 40 gallon propane tank, an automatic leveling system. 100 gallons of fresh water and 50 gallon waste tanks. 
There's quite a few out there and they can be found at reasonable prices on Craigslist http://zoomthelist.com/

nv.jpg

On 10/19/2016 at 0:26 PM, oldies1955 said:

Doc,

Dont feel bad. I hold up traffic all the time in the Yoto :) 45 up most hills in 3rd. The 4 gerbils under the hood are doing the best they can!
Tom H.

Tom
Last I heard you were rebuilding the rear end (differential) in your Yoto and if you have the 411 gear ratio (8"ring gear)  your rig could handle the gerbil/guinea pig upgrade. IMO I agree the guinea pigs are much better choice for low end torq but they may eat you up your mileage in the long run on the freeway.

just kiddin ya I lov Toyota's

And if you dont like sleeping on the ground, (not one of my personal favorites) BEEN THERE DONE THAT. DONT LIKE FLICKING THINGS IN THE DARK OUT OF MY SLEEPING BAG. :D

I agree Slim there are a lot of motor homes out there, cheap.

Anyway as far as how much gold you find,its not about what you drive or how you like to camp.
are you out there for the gold,just the fun,or adventure. I've met a lot of great people nugget hunting.

AzNuggetBob

Shep,  I remember you saying the upper bed was an issue for you.  Well originally I thought it would be no problem.  But going up and down that ladder 5 times a night because of my enlarged prostate, makes it sort of dangerous.  Only a matter of time until I fell off the ladder and ended up with a broke hip.  So I took it back and they retro-fitted it with an electric lift.  So now I can lower the bed right down to where it is easy to get in and out of.  Much much better.

Doc

Doc, Trip next week to Q and then to LSD will be first trip of season. Wearing an Arizona hard ankle brace. Going to have to wear at night for those trips up and down the ladder which sucks. If brace doesn't effect hunting during the day, I'm gonna look for a TH w/ a low bed.You going to make Billies get together?

• 2 weeks later...

It's certainly a very decent truck that will serve you for a decade at least. 14 MPG I assume* Yes, ecodiesel is a golden middle for those who prefer the diesel towing capacity but can't justify a Cummins. The advantage of this truck is also a huge selection of upgrades like this Banks bullet Diesel tuner on CARiD site for that would make your towing much easier without fabricating or remaking components from other vehicles.