New Boots

OK ... 3 years of traveling around on my boots have about worn them out ... you can only GOOP them just so many times before the GOOP doesn't hold up anymore. 

QUESTION: what are you guys who have bought recently found for metal free boots. The ones I have are no longer in production or so I have been told! And wear did you buy them?

I use a 5000 and 7000 99% of the time so I need metal free especially when I use medium to large coils.

Thanks,

Mike F

Are the boots you used to wear the metal-free Bates that Doc sold? Those were the most popular that I remember people recommending. If those aren't out of production check that brand.

I also really like Merrell hiking boots. When I detect I wear tall combat style boots to keep the grass and cactus away (they aren't metal free) but I have a pair of Merrell boots I wear for short hikes and stuff. I don't know if they're metal free, they look like they are, and they're pretty durable and feel like running shoes. Maybe check those out.

Thanks Tortuga ... The boots I need to replace are the Converse C8896 without the zipper. Reebox now makes the same boot RB8895 but it has a zipper. I would rather lace every day to the size and shape of my feet and legs than tie it once and zip every day ... at my age(67 years young) things change day to day! LOL!

• Admin

Hey Mike,

For years I used to wear the Bates No Metal boots from Doc.  That being said, years ago they seemed to be really tough, but the last couple years from myself and others the boots fell apart in no time flat.  I had one sole complete tear off after about a week worth of detecting.  A partner of mine also said the last couple of pairs were just crap anymore. 

I have been using a high dollar pair of hiking books that have minimal amount of metal, which work good detecting.  They are about $200 a pair and light as a feather.  I don't recommend them for everyone as they are only a mid-top and expensive.  

14 hours ago, nuggethunting said:

I have been using a high dollar pair of hiking books that have minimal amount of metal, which work good detecting.  They are about $200 a pair and light as a feather.  I don't recommend them for everyone as they are only a mid-top and expensive.  

Rob ... Open to suggestions ... mid high is OK ... 6" I assume as opposed to the 8" and 10" that I have used in the past. How about a little more info on the boots you are talking about if they have held up that good. I would like to have a better sole than what is offered on the Reebok offering. I would prefer a vibram hard rubber sole like my high end deer hunting boots. I have been using high end Vibram soled boots since my college days on the Norwich University Mountain Rescue Team. We did a lot of serious mountain work ... cheap copies just did not hold up!

Mike F

Mike - I know you already know this info but I'm reposting here so others are aware that there are cheaper options ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought the Avenger 7416 from workboots USA.  Reason I bought these over the Reebok is that they are completely leather.  I thought the Reebok were too susceptible to snake bites.  I prefer full leather ... well as close as I can.  But that's just me.  They are comfortable and so far appear to take a good beating, as I do a lot of boot scratching.  Only warning is that if you do order them, order one size larger.  

Andy

http://www.workbootsusa.com/avenger-7416.html#__utma=217280276.323479326.1475029788.1475029788.1475029788.1&__utmb=217280276.2.10.1475029788&__utmc=217280276&__utmx=-&__utmz=217280276.1475029788.1.1.utmcsr=outlook.live.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/owa/&__utmv=-&__utmk=255261387

• 3 weeks later...

re's B]

Here's Bates NEW No- Metal boots.

I've only had three pair of the old style returned under warranty for the sole becoming delaminated.  Bates has a 1 year warranty on them.

Anyway here are the new ones.  $149.95, the soles are not coming off of these, they are stitched on.

Great boot.

Bates Men's DuraShocks® Lace-to-Toe Tactical Boots

Doc

No they are black.  I could sell a zillion of them if they were tan.  Everything they have in tan does not have a tongue that is gusseted all the way up.   Unfortunately when the tongue is not gusseted it allows dirt to enter the boot when you are kicking around.

The only reason these are gusseted is because they are waterproof.  So if you can find metal free boots that are tan and waterproof, and have an aggressive sole you probably have found a good metal detecting boot.

Yes they actually have a stitched sole.  I have a pair of them and they are just as comfortable as the old style but you can tell that they have upgraded the design.

Doc

YUP! In this case BLACK is not beautiful ... and the old axiom of "Once you go Black you never come back!" (reference to coffee w/wo cream/milk in case you may have heard it otherwise! LOL!) is pure bunk! Black in the heat of the day in the desert is very uncomfortable for me ... had one pair back in 2003 or 2004 ... got rid of them very fast. Tan and UN-insulated is the only way to go for me.

On 10/21/2016 at 8:27 AM, fredm said:

thanks Doc, Unfortunately the 5:11 s that were gusseted, lightweight, metal free, tan and comfortable are no longer made...I don't like black because of the heat but I may have to suffer a little when my present boots give up...

fred

I have to agree whole heartedly with Fred ... Black is beautiful but not on my feet in the desert that I hunt. I will always continue to find a tan desert metal free 8-10" high boot ... I like the added support of a higher boot! 

Mike F

On 10/21/2016 at 8:27 AM, fredm said:

thanks Doc, Unfortunately the 5:11 s that were gusseted, lightweight, metal free, tan and comfortable are no longer made...I don't like black because of the heat but I may have to suffer a little when my present boots give up...

fred

I've got a butt-load of 5:11's that lasted about a year each ... My faves are the Converse non-metal (except for the zipper handle) and I love them ... My current pair is five years old and still working well!  Cheers, Unc

19 hours ago, Whitebutler said:

Red Back boots made in Australia. I now own three pair and my wife also is hooked on them. Slip-on and metal free

John

They are great, and they came in half (wide) sizes when I got mine 3 years ago.

My favorite are Ecco boots. Not cheap but the most comfortable I have ever worn and cured my bone spurs. The soles may be too soft for the terrain out west, but hold up well here in Virginia.

http://us.shop.ecco.com/rugged-track-gtx-high-838024.html?dwvar_838024_color=51052#c3apiks=345_214412&gclid=CNyFo8OH-c8CFQNehgodifIBVA&cgid=men-boots

Reebok also makes the Reebok Duty Men's Rapid Response RB RB8894 8" Tactical Boot in desert tan (composite toe). No metal anywhere and the composite toe is not metal. I hardly every notice the composite toe is even there. No zippers on mine. Great detecting and hiking boots. I've worn them all over the SW USA and in Alaska. There is also a similar Reebok model without the composite toe which is also 100% metal free. I have a pair of these too but they are harder to find. Both are shown below. 

ks.jpg

I agree Mike, I wore out my old Bates and have been looking for something new. I've been looking at boots like Rocky snake boots. They are padded really well. May be a little hot for summer but I'm thinking they would be great for cactus and thorny brush too.
AzNuggetBob

While I was in Vegas this week I picked up a pair (2 sets, one high, one low top) from Doc and will be breaking them in this week in Gold Basin...... when I tried them on at the warehouse they felt awesome, very supportive (unlike my parents during my childhood, but that's a different topic....NAAAAAARF) :D

I'm always afraid to order boots online for fitment issues but these were great and the higher top pair will greatly help in the support of my ankles in the rocks and gullies here in GB. Before this I was running a (Rob supplied) longer carbon fiber upper shaft to help keep the coil away from my Danner 45's.... but that only transferred pain to a different part of my back, these are already heaps lighter I know that much.... YAY!!!

I'll also be breaking in my new Doc's Gold Screamer Power Pack system... woo hoooo.... I like Vegas!!!!!! It's like Christmas in October.

Thanks Doc for supplying the community such awesome product(s).

Jen

Edited by jjbond