Braved it last night

IMG_20160730_134431142.jpg 

I got off work and went straight to the desert to detect. Got there and it said 113 f but I had a camelback with a gallon chunk of ice in the bag. I detected till about 730 the the dust came. Then the lightning. I headed back to the Jeep to wait it out. That was an awesome lightning storm I must say. Around 11pm the rain stopped and the lightning was bearable so I headed back out. Came across the cool old timer??? Pick axe head a tortoise a long nose snake and a flock group herd or family of javelinas with a few piglets in the bunch. I got over that little nug before the gallon of water melted ran out about 2am.IMG_20160730_011644516.jpg

IMG_20160729_194051845.jpg

Very nice, Cowkiller.  Seems like the East Bradshaws might have gotten some water flowing.  Great find on that nugget.  

I wish we got a little more water and less wind.  The gullies and gulches still need a little stirring up so we can get a second crack at some of 'em.

WTG on the nug! 

All the critters are out at night :)

At least you didnt run into 5 snakes having sex again!!!!
Tom H.

I looked up antique pick heads but there are too many out there. It was a pretty cool find tho. The back end of that thing was worn to the nub. Must have belonged to one tuff miner.

I do most of my detecting at night. It is easier that way with the young kids. That way in home when they are up. 

Tom not this time thank goodness I almost had a heart attack that day. If you guys haven't seen rattlers fooling around you are probably missing out lol

More water and less wind is always good. I am waiting for the hundred year flood to wash away 12" from the whole desert. 

CowKiller,the back end is used like a single jack.In the fourth pic down on the left you can see the back end of a poll pick in this link...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2633713/Rare-early-flash-photography-images-Cornish-miners-digging-tin-1890s-reveal-perilous-conditions-toiled.html

Edited by dave wiseman
more info

Dave there are some neat pictures in that link. We could never get away with that work environment now days. Those were some tuff boys. Thanks for the link. 

Chris you are probably right about the snake. I had been a while since I have seen either.

BD thanks it was fun and the first and last gold of July for me.

CowKiller,I actually used a poll pick for many years while doing my type of hardrock mining here in the California motherlode.The size and light weight of the pick head make it a great tool for quartz vein sampling.My current hard rock protege lost the original,but I still have another pick head minus a handle.