Happy Camp Jade

Just returned from a few days WAY up north near Happy Camp, CA.  We weren't detecting but looking for something valuable never the less.  I've heard about what's referred to as "Happy Camp jade" since high school but never went looking for it.  Finally got a local guide who took me and Miner John up into the mountains near Indian Creek to find some.  And find some we did!  Actually found a lot more than the pictures here but some of the pieces were literally boulders and too heavy to pack out.  A little  research shows this is officially called Californite, not a "true" jade, but a variation because of it's unique colorations.  We were told on the other side of the creek from where we were is a huge boulder with spider webs of gold incased in it, but the water was too high right now to reach it.  So, a fall trip is planned.  Anyway, if interested, do a quick Google search for it.  Very cool stuff.  Going to cut and polish a bit of it later to show it off.

Digger Bob

Happy Cammp jade #1.JPG

Happy Camp Jade #2.JPG

In the late 1970's I met an old man who'd been mining that Happy Camp Jade for years ... His was more pure looking than that, but his jade mine was in the Indian Creek area ... I wish I'd been more interested in rocks back then because he invited me over there to mine with him ... I was so into dredging then that I didn't care about anything else! ... Cheers, Unc

This Jade was given to me from a well known detectorist from Happy Camp that moved to the Winnemucca area.  I'm not sure if it is from here or the H.C. area.

I have had it for years and still don't know what to do with it. . .

IMG_2065.JPG