Africanized Bees in Arizona - That time of Year

• Admin

Hello All,

I'm sure many of you have heard of the recent death of a hiker here in Arizona from Africanized bees.  The 23 year old man was out hiking and was stung more than 1,000 times.  Here is the Arizona Central article - 

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/mesa-breaking/2016/05/26/hiker-dies-after-1000-bees-attack-usery-mountain/85002420/

I couldn't tell you how many times out metal detecting I have ran into large hives of bees.  I have found them in trees, on the ground, in the rock walls and in mines/prospects.  

Good friend always said the best method beyond running was using a wide defensive spray to bring them down if you're getting attacked in numbers.  He always said when you're out detecting it's going to be hard for the most part to dart 100-200 yards when you have all your gear/metal detector on and the fact most places don't allow to you run that distance straight.  

Here is a some information on found on a University of Arizona website about bees - 

All wild honey bees in Arizona are presumed to be Africanized If you encounter a hive or swarm, assume they are Africanized honey bees and do the following:

1. Do NOT panic! 7 out of 10 deaths related to bee attacks (not involving bee allergy incidents) are due to folks panicking and literally causing their own death by running off cliffs, in front of cars, drowning, etc. Being hit by cars and drowning are the 2 most common tragedies.

2. Do not try to remove a colony yourself! Call the experts. Though their venom is no more or less toxic, the AHB tends to sting in greater numbers and is more easily provoked than the European honey bee.

3. If you are being chased: run away in a straight line and find shelter inside a car, house, or building. Africanized bees are slow fliers and most healthy people can out run them. If you cannot access shelter, run the length of 2 football fields, before stopping.

4. Avoid other people, or they will also be attacked. Once stung, you are a “marked” target. Bee stings are delivered with a pheromone which labels you as a threat and incites other defensive bees to sting.

5. Scrape stings off as soon as you get to an indoor safe place. Wash the sting site with soap and water, apply a topical antibiotic, and ice wrapped in a cloth will help soothe the discomfort.

6. Never dive underwater. The swarm will simply wait for you to surface, and your head and face will be the first to emerge. D. H. Gouge, C. Olson, (University of Arizona); M. Rehm-Bowler, N. Enriquez, J. M. Rodriguez (AZ Dept. Environmental Quality). - 2 -

7. Seek medical attention in case of anaphylactic shock. Symptoms occur within seconds or minutes may include: difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, dry cough, turning pale, itchy rash, itching and swelling of the eye area, wheezing, rapid or weak pulse, anxiety, fainting, dizziness, hives, etc.

8. If an adult sustains more than 30 stings they should be treated in a hospital emergency room.

48 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I've read that you can usually outsmart bees by weaving around trees and plants when you're running away or running around a large tree until they get confused and lose you. They're fast but dumb. 

I personally wouldn't count on that tactic, it may work (key word here is "may") if you haven't been stung yet, once you're stung due to the pheromone they release when doing so the rest of the swarm will find you!

That tactic actually does work and I have recommended it here in the past.  I am a former bee keeper and have used it a couple of  times when things have gotten out of hand while capturing wild hives.  But don't think that the little buggers are 'dumb', they will catch up with you if you don't get far enough away before they see you.  The thing is in the desert there aren't too many thick trees and bushy shrubs in some areas to do this.  Best thing is when they come 'a-bumpin', guess the direction they are coming from and do a 180. 

Old Tom

• Admin

Hey Old Tom,

I agree with the "bumping or thumping."  I had a few bounce off me, including Wasp's, so I know that is a sign you better turn your ass around or walk way around them.  I think for the most part (I know this will open a can or worms), most animals and insect "try" to warn you to stay away or else .....

Yes, I have suddenly come upon a few nests over the years and been bumped and then I instantly reversed myself 180 ... It has always worked and I never got stung although in the early '80's in Klamath Mountains I got attacked because I had used my 7 year old daughter's grape flavored shampoo on my then quite sizable beard and long hair ...
They swarmed onto my beard and I got stung about 30 times ... Made me feel pukey but it worked out ok

...Cheers, Unc