150 ounces from one River Crevice

• Admin

Hello All,

Here is a neat article about a guy that found 150 ounces of nuggets in one crevice.  You can click the article link below to read the entire store.  The article is off of Western Mining Alliance's website, which I believe is Brandon Rinehart's.  

http://theminingalliance.com/articles/article_crack.html

What a great story. I dredged for many summers in the Motherlode in the late 70's and early 80's. I never saw an amount of gold like these gents found, but I had plenty of experiences where my heart beat a little faster at the sight of nuggets shining at the bottom of a crevice. The Downieville area is loaded with surprises still. It takes a lot of luck and huge perseverance, but there is still lots of gold up there.

That's an awesome story of an awesome recovery of gold, it has fired my fever up!!!

I'm having a hard time figuring the math that was used to come up with 150 ounces, doing the math I come up with 216 ounces not 150, 18 pounds as mention in the article at 12 troy ounces to a troy pound comes to 216 ounces not 150, did I miss something?

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I spent most of my early gold prospecting years behind a dredge and couldn't imagine even hitting several ounces.  The best day I had dredging here in Arizona myself was about 8 Dwt's.  Several years back a few partners and I found a nice spot on shallow bedrock where we picked up over an ounce in a weekend.  Most of that gold was small nuggets from 2-3 grains to several Grams in size.  This was freaking exciting for me, but the area finally got claimed up as we waited too long to file.  

I didn't have any pictures from the previous 150 ounce crevice article.  

You aren't going to find it if you don't work for it!

What a great article and yes that can be found in that region of the motherload. Too bad we can't legally dredge up there any longer. Stupid Governator signed that bill in 2008 and we may never get our rights back.

I know there is a crevice just like that one with my name on it!

Here in Mariposa..Southern Motherlode....two brothers moved a huge boulder and sluiced out 54 ounces of beautiful jewelry grade gold nuggets. True story.....Mariposa Creek..Mormon Bar area. Grubstake you may have heard of it....was shown on a red velvet cloth at the Gold Coin Bar. Didn't the Keenes pull out 800 ounces near Italian Bar and use the money to buy the Nome camp years ago?  150 or 216 ounces....wish it were me....lol awesome story !

2 hours ago, AuWanderer said:

Here in Mariposa..Southern Motherlode....two brothers moved a huge boulder and sluiced out 54 ounces of beautiful jewelry grade gold nuggets. True story.....Mariposa Creek..Mormon Bar area. Grubstake you may have heard of it....was shown on a red velvet cloth at the Gold Coin Bar. Didn't the Keenes pull out 800 ounces near Italian Bar and use the money to buy the Nome camp years ago?  150 or 216 ounces....wish it were me....lol awesome story !

That was the Massies, George A.K.A..the Buzzard, Tom and Perry Massie, of the GPAA and the LDMA that hit the 800 ounces.