Was out last week doing some detecting and managed a 2/3rds ounce nugget.

Dug it out of about 10" of red clay with a mono elite 14" coiltek and GPX5000.

Really surprised me to see a big nugget as my previous ones were all a lot smaller..lol

Big nuggets to you all!!

This gold fever is no joke, gotta go dig some more...

IMG_20160427_163725354_HDR.jpg

Thanks, yes I think a hanger soldered on is a good idea.

Makes me think about some of the loud targets that don't get dug.

Had a screaming target after this nugget came out, was half a horse shoe.

I came home with the horse shoe and told my wife, this was supposed to be a nugget..lol

Yowsa!!
Thats a hunk of gold :)
Congrats to you.

Tom H.

7 hours ago, Gravelwasher said:

Thanks, yes I think a hanger soldered on is a good idea.

Makes me think about some of the loud targets that don't get dug.

Had a screaming target after this nugget came out, was half a horse shoe.

I came home with the horse shoe and told my wife, this was supposed to be a nugget..lol

You can only dig so much and then the body tells you........dood, go back to the truck.  And, as your swinging on your way back you hear the scream. Your beat, tired and sore...you look down and its decision time. 

Bout 50/50 for me on digging it up. Depends on what ive dug up so far, how deep is the bedrock,  the heat, and fatigue. 

Man thats a nice nugget! :)
Tom

Thanks Tom,

I know the feeling about digging loud ones and being beat up from too much swinging and digging.

Hello AZNuggetBob,

I returned after my 9-5 yesterday, dug a bunch of louder targets= nails and wires and brass. I did manage a point 9 gram bit in sensitive extra, next to a few other dig spots. Always feels good to walk away with some shine. Low and slow was the trick to the point 9 piece for sure!!

Question to all,

Working a known patch in fine gold mode with a GPX5000 and a mono 14 elite coil, what other timings have you found useful and is there other settings you play with after working in your regular settings? I have tried switching my audio tone from dull to sharp sounding to give myself a different tune. I do this as I get used to the same sound and my ear becomes less sensitive after hearing the same sound for hours.

Thanks for all the great replies, hope you all have a golden day!!

2 hours ago, Gravelwasher said:

Thanks Tom,

I know the feeling about digging loud ones and being beat up from too much swinging and digging.

Hello AZNuggetBob,

I returned after my 9-5 yesterday, dug a bunch of louder targets= nails and wires and brass. I did manage a point 9 gram bit in sensitive extra, next to a few other dig spots. Always feels good to walk away with some shine. Low and slow was the trick to the point 9 piece for sure!!

Question to all,

Working a known patch in fine gold mode with a GPX5000 and a mono 14 elite coil, what other timings have you found useful and is there other settings you play with after working in your regular settings? I have tried switching my audio tone from dull to sharp sounding to give myself a different tune. I do this as I get used to the same sound and my ear becomes less sensitive after hearing the same sound for hours.

All my "patches" have been in washes...........so, I sit down and play with the shovel :)

Dig it out and re beep it, especially with the GB2.
Lot easier to sit and act like your rowing a boat with the shovel then kneeling. 
Tom

• Admin

Hey Gravelwasher,

Great looking nugget with character.  Congrats on the big find!  The Coiltek Elite's are smoother and get great performance.  Definitely selling many more of them since the reports are now out on the forums and friends are telling friends.  

Thanks for sharing! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2016 at 8:50 AM, Gravelwasher said:

Question to all,

Gravelwasher -  I love this coil.  But it is strange.  What I found is that if you detecting for less than 2 grams, Fine timing gives more depth and clearer signal.  If you go for larger nuggets, Sensitive Extra is best.  Seems like when I switch to normal (when I find an actual target in the field) it just doesn't sound as clear.  For 2/3rd ounce, though, any of them should pick it up at that depth. 

Now that I actually have more gold to use for testing, I have spent more time comparing depth and size of coil on the various nuggets.  It takes A LOT of time to get out there and do your hole tests, but it really opened my eyes to what coils work best for various sizes of gold at different depths.  

By the way - SWEET NUGGET!! 

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:50 AM, Gravelwasher said:

Thanks Tom,

Hello AZNuggetBob,

Question to all,

If the ground will allow it, try Sharp timing.  Your machine will moan and groan over the hot ground and you will hear hot rocks, but the depth is amazing!  Make sure you investigate every questionable target.

Brian

Thanks for the tips on settings.

I will play around with them as soon as I get my GPX fixed.

Sent Minelab an email about my power plug stripping out and coming loose from the control box.

Hopefully a warranty issue, as it must have vibrated loose after all the left right, left right swinging of the unit.

Have any of you gone through similar issues with warranty and minelab?

Happy hunting, more au than iron to you all!!

DSC04858.JPG

1 hour ago, Gravelwasher said:

Thanks for the tips on settings.

I will play around with them as soon as I get my GPX fixed.

Sent Minelab an email about my power plug stripping out and coming loose from the control box.

Hopefully a warranty issue, as it must have vibrated loose after all the left right, left right swinging of the unit.

Have any of you gone through similar issues with warranty and minelab?

Happy hunting, more au than iron to you all!!

DSC04858.JPG

Hey Gravelwasher. . I wish our garden spinach leaves were covered with gold bugs like that!!  Very Nice!!    Jim

On 5/22/2016 at 11:22 AM, SanDomingoJim said:

Hey Gravelwasher. . I wish our garden spinach leaves were covered with gold bugs like that!!  Very Nice!!    Jim

That's a good one SanDomingoJim, unfortunately  I had to gather the gold bugs, they don't seem attracted to my spinach.

Thanks for all the great comments!!

• 3 weeks later...