John Schnabel

Grandpa John, reminded me so much of my own Grandpa.  I couldn't help but love that pioneering spirit he passed on to Parker.  I think it is fair to say that John was America's Grandpa.  The love and respect that John and Parker had for each other was palpable.  John was not only a Grandpa to Parker, he was a teacher, a mentor, and a kind soul.

I truly enjoyed the numerous times when John would take Parker aside and tutor him on the finer points of managing his crew.  Parker learned mining well.  Parker had  the instincts of a great miner, and those instincts grew under the loving guidance of John.   But Parker's management skills in leading a team have a way to go.  Part of it is inexperience.  Part of it is his crews inability to respect someone as young and successful as Parker.  They also fail to appreciate the stress Parker experiences because it is all on Parker.  Whether or not they hit it big, or have a bad year, it is not the crew that suffers.  They get paid.  When someone damages equipment through blatant negligence, Parker is the one that has to pay for the repair.  That is a lot of stress for anyone, let alone a young man like Parker.

John was always there to remind Parker that without his crew he could not accomplish his goals.  At every step of Parker's growth Grandpa John was there with love and sage advice for Parker.  America fell in love, not only with John, but the special relationship he had with his grandson.

Prayers go out to the family.  As for John, I am sure he is the owner of a brand new mine in Heaven, where the smallest nuggets he recovers are an ounce.

Doc