BEST 4 DAYS NUGGETHUNTING

Since I don't normally don't post and finding out that it's really not hard as I learned with the Black Nugget post, I thought I would now post what happened last year nuggethunting.

There is a secret place in Arizona, east of the Colorado River along a non-discreet mountain range that rises out of the unforgiving desert floor. I have hunted this area with Rob many times over the past six years and it just so happened that he missed out on this find by having to go to work. So while the weather was still good I went out alone during the week and I began to explore an area that the old timers had hand stacked one side of a very decomposed granite flat area. To get to this area it took a bumpy quad ride then a hike to get to as it was 800 feet above the valley floor and below the mountain top by about 1000 feet. As I began to move some of the grass that had grown in this wash that was really just a flat area I got a signal and dug the first nugget. Where there is one there has to be more was my thought as the old timers knew what they were doing and they didn't ride their donkeys this high in an area that has no springs or natural water without it holding something good enough pay for their beans and bacon. So as cleared more grass and moved the decomposed granite to expose a blue gray clay I began to pick up more nuggets. I ended up clearing an area that is 40'x40' and while finding nuggets in the clay was becoming common what I didn't expect was to find nuggets in the actual granite itself. Sounds crazy but it happened. The one picture shows a nugget in the granite next to a shaft of quartz stick out. nuggets3.jpg.00df42befe843c8331c74beb436Now we shift to day four and this day I brought my wife out as she loves to find nuggets but hates digging around in the dirt "hoping" to find nuggets. There was one point that final morning we couldn't put the coil down without it going off on another nugget as there were nuggets in the granite in areas that were 12" apart in every direction. The excitement was unbearable as we picked up in total 19.6 ounces of gold. After 5 hours on the fourth day we decided to eat lunch and when we returned we didn't find another nugget. No matter which direction we dug all it was was digging in the dirt. I have gone back to that spot a few more times and only found one more that under the old timers most northerly stacked rocks.  We all dream of a place like this and whether it's a small patch or a patch like this....it's what keeps us going out over and over in search of that next spot.

nuggetinquartz.jpg

• Admin

Hey Afriscot,

That was an amazing hit, too bad I wasn't able to join in.  I know with enough research and footwork like before, many more patches like that will be found.  I think we need to plan a few more 2-3 day camping trips and explore the region a bit more.  Funny, the area isn't know much for Lode Mining, but the amount of undocumented placer workings is amazing.  

Thanks for sharing the photos.  Until the next patch discovery, keep the searchcoils swinging! :D