Specific Gravity Test Complete - 6.8 Ounce Specimen found with GPZ

• Admin

Hello All,

It's been awhile since I have conducted a specific gravity test. I found a nice Quartz & Gold Specimen awhile back with the Minelab GPZ 7000. The piece was almost 2 foot, just a whisper. Almost didn't dig it due to the trash in the nearby area. The piece was extremely heavy for the size of the rock, so I knew it had a good amount of gold before cleaning it.

I found this site that shows how to "Do a Specific Gravity Test & Formula." ---- http://www.gold-nuggets.org/specific-gravity-test.htm

I followed the calculations the best I could, so hoping someone could double check my work. The air weight of the piece was 210.5 Grams. The water weight was 172.5 Grams.

From my calculations, the piece has over 4 ounces of gold (which makes sense with the heft of the specimen), 60+ percent gold.

Here are some pictures of my Triple Beam Scale during the testing.

post-2-0-90327800-1453173974_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-78923700-1453174024_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-98121900-1453174045_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-27286400-1453174066_thumb.jpg

Hello mn90403,

Thanks for that link. Looks like from your and my calculations, we are only off 3-4 Grams. We both calculated over 4 ounces of gold, well over half the specimen weight.

Rob,

I used your numbers. You can adjust it some with the type of quartz it is in. (some quartz is more dense than others)

Mitchel