Sage Grouse Proposed Mineral Withdrawal

The Sage Grouse Proposed Mineral Withdrawal by the BLM would close nearly 10 million acres of land to mineral entry. This affects claims in 5 western states.

Friday the 15th of January (this Friday!) is the deadline for comments on the proposal. Generally comments and opinions don't apply to the Secretary's decision but with the time near and facts on hand a little attention by more than a few voters and representatives might just convince the Secretary to think twice.

If the withdrawal goes ahead no new claims can be made in the withdrawn area. In addition the existing claims are likely to come under greater scrutiny and challenges to their validity. That puts nearly 7,000 mining claims in the sights of the BLM land managers.

Now is the most effective time to share your opinions and present facts to influence the outcome. With little time left the Secretary will have less chance to bring influence or political pressure to bear on members of Congress should they object.

Land Matters has been working hard to figure out how many and which claims will be at stake should the withdrawal be approved. We've produced a comprehensive report on all the claims affected in this proposal and made an interactive map with just the claims within the proposed withdrawal area.

The BLM did not assist in the preparation of this report. We spent considerable time and effort in hand mapping the location of these claims in relation to the proposed withdrawal. I could find no evidence the Secretary even knows how many or what claims would be affected. I'm sure she and your representatives would appreciate being informed of this information to help their decisions to be made on all the facts available.

This is a factual report that you can not only view online but there is a zipped download available directly from the reports front page. At a mere 159Kb in size this report can be shared by email quite easily.

Why not look over the whole situation and check in with your representatives to make sure they know the facts about the potential effects of this withdrawal should it be approved.

The new custom interactive Sage Grouse Proposed Withdrawal Map shows just the claims affected with all the claim information normally found only on the Land Matters Mining Claims Maps.

Be sure to read and download the interactive Sage Grouse Proposed Withdrawal Report too.

To give you an idea of whats at stake with this withdrawal look over this summary chart from the report.

post-29077-0-71894100-1452730647_thumb.p

Clay Thanks for the heads up. But I think it is far more serious than we know. I am from Tucson, Arizona and have prospected southern Arizona since the 1980's I have seen a huge change in the last few years. More government employees (Forest Service, Parks Rangers, Border Patrol) Any way the most recent is metal gates put on the entrances of mines bared with 1-1/2 tube steel cages and signs that read property of the United States of America.

This is truly the signs of the denomination of governments that do not include a free country

I know I don't post a lot but I have been a member for a long time

I am curious if any one else are seeing these same signs or others ?