Pinpointer question

I was out for a bit today doing my part to clean up our public lands :) and I had a strange occurrence while using my new garret at pinpointer. I was using a big coil for the first time and got a broad signal which I was questioning as to whether it was mineralization or target...sounded good enough to investgate. I dug it down about 5-6 inches and it seamed louder but still could not tell where it was. I got out the pinpointer and it sounded off. I scooped up a handful and it sounded off in my hand but only for a couple seconds. As I tried to find it, it disappeared. Puzzled I rechecked to hole and got a signal with the pinpointer in the same area...this routine went on for many go-arounds. My question is will a pinpointer sound off on mineralization and after it is separated from the ground it fades out? I was too frustrated to fill my hole. I will go back there with the gbpro and see what it says. Anyone else experience something like this before?

Yes, the newer pinpointers will when set to high sensitivity. I've had mine go off on rocks which I took home, crushed them up and found nothing, and then it won't go off on the pile of crushed powder. Also had it go off on really hot clay lenses, dig 6 inches into them and it won't go off on the clay I removed from the hole but it still beeps on the clay at the bottom of hole no matter how much I dig.