Goldfield Celllular Voice / Data Carriers, Recommendations

Hi guys n goyls..... having spent the last few years working in an area where I'm about 30 minutes away from the closest cell tower, and having to rely on HF radio and satellite phones, you'll have to excuse me if the following sounds stupid or AZ/NV are entirely covered since my leaving those areas...

My question is, out of the known carriers (or off name who use known carriers cell towers) what kind of experiences have you all had in mainly the Arizona and Rye Patch gold fields.

I'm about to sign up for a US carrier again and while I'd prefer T-Mobile, I do know that Verizon (at least till I left those areas) had much better service in rural areas.....

Please share your thoughts and experiencs in rural areas for carrier / carrier vs cost etc. (as some times it's cheaper to have a pay as you go account for just a data plan on a carrier if your rural detecting area doesn't have your prefered day to day carrier's towers/coverage).

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

See you on the gold fields guys n goyls.

In my experience in the Prescott, PV, Mayer, Cleater, Crown King, Congress areas Verizon has the best coverage, AT&T the poorest, everybody else somewhere in between. As I recall T-Mobile was pretty low on coverage too, but no personal experience with them.

Mike

• Admin

Hey Jen and All,

Over the years I always had the best success with Verizon Wireless. When the Iphone first came out, AT&T was the only major carrier for that phone, so I switched over to have the Iphone. That was a huge mistake, I locked into a few years with AT&T and got the worst coverage possible, even in town in some places. I was so damn unsatisfied with AT&T and heard that Verizon picked up the Iphone, I paid to get out of my contract with AT&T and went back with Verizon Wireless. I have been happy ever since for the most part.

I purchased a GMC several years back and was happy it had the Onstar on it. I thought Onstar was a true Satellite phone, so I figured I was safe having it in remote location. I learned last weekend that Onstar don't get out in some locations and it's really a wireless cell phone type service, not a true Satellite phone. :wacko:

Hey Jen and All,

Over the years I always had the best success with Verizon Wireless.

Thanks Rob.... yup, another one for the big V.... I went throught the same dramas with my first iphone and ATT, in fact I still have that original phone.... but I digress... I spent some time looking at the coverage maps this morning and V has a LOT more coverage in our areas, especially Rye Patch, NV and Quartzsite... much better coverage.... I think V it is for me...

Jen

I have AT&T and while I had no issues at Rye Patch it pretty much sucks everywhere else. I can't get coverage even in Gold Basin. So I have a Sat phone too just for emergency use.

Doc

I have AT&T and while I had no issues at Rye Patch it pretty much sucks everywhere else. I can't get coverage even in Gold Basin. So I have a Sat phone too just for emergency use.

Doc

Thanks Doc... good to know, the last thing I want is another sat phone bill.

Jen

You'll get full 4G LTE with Verizon in the places you are asking about, Q and Rye Patch. Gold Basin too. Half the time I post to forums I'm sitting on a rock with my phone taking a break from detecting. ^_^

I was getting 10mbit data out in the middle of the prairie in my trailer in NNV, almost as fast as a home cable line.

Hey Jen,

Sounds like you want to be a texter prospector......Your time be better spent not thinking about who`s leaving you messages..... ;)

And your time would be better spent not being a smart ass. Don't come running over to my spot of ground when you're wife or kid gets smacked by a rattlesnake cus you're the only one wearing snake chaps, your T-Mobile phone doesn't work and you need to call for help on my Verizon.....

Yea... I wanna be a text prospector... that's me.... they call me Coiltek Kardashian for short....

Now run along.....your moms calling you..... and she made cookies...

Jennifer

If you get a Verizon Jet Pack (used units available on ebay) and a data plan, you have your own wifi network. That means you don't need a voice plan. You can use Google Voice and/or just about any other VOIP voice app/program on Verizon's 4G network.

Thanks Dakota, yep that's a handy way to go...see lots of people doing that....

I have actually been amazed at the Verizon coverage in virtually all the places

I have prospected including the Dale, the El Paso's, the Sierra's in CA and Rye Patch

in NV as well as other places in NV.

Like Dakota Slim, I have a Verizon Jet Pack but crazily enough I have never had to use it.

**(and btw Slim, that is a really smart thing you posted about not needing a voice plan

if you use a jet pack and Google voice. It took me a second to realize how cool

that tip was…thanks)

…and I do text in the goldfields…that's what my family and friends do.

It doesn't have to be some sort of watching-it-all-the-time mentality.

It's a smart way to stay in touch and it certainly doesn't in any way make me less

serious about what I'm doing.

In addition, if you get in trouble you can use your smartphone to snap a pic of your gps map,

your surroundings and whatever else might be pertinent to your situation.

Also, I would only say if you have kids and you want to communicate with them…you better learn to text.

Thanks everyone for all your answers... it was very much appreciated... I think it's clear who I'll be going with.....

logo.png

NAAARRRRFFFFF :)

Just kidding... V for Victory.. or is it V for Vendetta.. hmmm oh well.. V it is....

Thanks again.

Jen

I have actually been amazed at the Verizon coverage in virtually all the places

I have prospected including the Dale, the El Paso's, the Sierra's in CA and Rye Patch

in NV as well as other places in NV.

Like Dakota Slim, I have a Verizon Jet Pack but crazily enough I have never had to use it.

**(and btw Slim, that is a really smart thing you posted about not needing a voice plan

if you use a jet pack and Google voice. It took me a second to realize how cool

that tip was…thanks)

…and I do text in the goldfields…that's what my family and friends do.

It doesn't have to be some sort of watching-it-all-the-time mentality.

It's a smart way to stay in touch and it certainly doesn't in any way make me less

serious about what I'm doing.

In addition, if you get in trouble you can use your smartphone to snap a pic of your gps map,

your surroundings and whatever else might be pertinent to your situation.

Also, I would only say if you have kids and you want to communicate with them…you better learn to text.

Hi Flak. I posted this info on Bill's forum a couple years ago. Groove IP, an android ap, was originally powered by Google Voice but that changed for some reason and Groove IP became powered by RingTo which did not work with the Verizon Jet Pack for some reason. I'm not sure of the best android solution at this point but Google Voice still works great with windoz and a Jetpack.

And your time would be better spent not being a smart ass. Don't come running over to my spot of ground when you're wife or kid gets smacked by a rattlesnake cus you're the only one wearing snake chaps, your T-Mobile phone doesn't work and you need to call for help on my Verizon.....

Yea... I wanna be a text prospector... that's me.... they call me Coiltek Kardashian for short....

Now run along.....your moms calling you..... and she made cookies...

Jennifer

I dont wear snake chaps , and your the one that wants t-mobile " I'd prefer T-Mobile", remember? I dont have kids because im 16 now , but someday when I`m not playing video games, maybe I will want kids. My moms cookies are delicious, and many guys here can confirm that, or thats what they tell me